Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

1.6 16v 106 Gti Engine And Box Into 205 1.6 Gti

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

gareth

gareth
  • Drivers
  • 492 posts
Hello all, i've not been on here in a looooooong time since selling the last of my 205's. Annoyingly I've forgotten a lot that i knew about them in that time too!

Anyway, my brother has just bought a phase 1 205 1.6 GTi to use as a track plaything. Ebay has since yielded a fiddled with (ported, remapped ECU etc) 16v 1.6 106 GTi engine, box, ecu and loom. Having had GTi's and XS's in the past, i've always enjoyed the lightweight chuckability of the XS and this is the main target for this car, not outright power / speed but a stripped featherweight screamy little beastie.

Can anyone please give me some pointers on the parts we'll need to get the engine fitted? Driveshafts / hubs etc?
Can we use the 106 gearbox?
What about engine mounts?
Can a cable shift setup be fitted?
Will this be an iron block engine? If so, is it possble and worthwhile to rebuild into an ali block from something else to save a few kg?

Ta in advance! :)

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,025 posts
  • Name:Mei
this topic covers pretty much all of your questions bar the last one, yes it is an iron block, no its not an easy task to make it an alloy block.

http://forum.205gtid...showtopic=96541

gareth

gareth
  • Drivers
  • 492 posts
fantastic, cheers!
From memory... the drivers side engine mounts (eg, chassis part) are different on TU and XU engined cars... hacking and welding required here?
also, what gearbox can be used?

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,025 posts
  • Name:Mei
that's only the case for early XY/TU shells, wont be a problem if you're going XU to TU

gareth

gareth
  • Drivers
  • 492 posts
awesome! no welding in the rain for me then!