Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

1.6 Carb Advice

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

vicious-monkey87

vicious-monkey87
  • Drivers
  • 105 posts
ok so i basically know nothing about carbs (apart from what i've read on here) and as i want to put my 1.6 on twin 40's i've just bought these:

Posted Image

i was hoping that someone could tell me, what else i'll need to fit this to my car? i understand i'll need to change the fuel pump?
any general advice would be much appreciated!

cheers

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,760 posts
You don't neccesarily need to change the pump, what you do need to do is get the pressure right down to suit the carbs- typically only a few psi. You will also need a cable linkage to suit.

vickiw106

vickiw106
  • Drivers
  • 146 posts
as tom fenton has said you can use your origional pump

i have just done thos to my rally car you need

fuel pressure regulator
pedal conversion kit
2 throttle cables
and a throttle linkeage kit

you will also need to get the carbs jetted and balanced but your local rolling road should be able to do that

vicious-monkey87

vicious-monkey87
  • Drivers
  • 105 posts
well the guy who sold me the webers said that they have already been jetted for a 1.6 GTi. does that mean i won't need to take it to a rolling road? (i probably will anyway)

throttle cables - do i just need two standard ones?
pedal conversion kit - i wasn't aware of this at all, where would i get this from and how much should i expect to pay for it?

Baz

Baz
  • Drivers.
  • 10,300 posts
  • Name:באז
It'll still need to be set up though. What chokes, mains, jets etc are in them too?

vicious-monkey87

vicious-monkey87
  • Drivers
  • 105 posts
i have no idea! i didn't know to ask the guy lol
i'll email him now and ask!
my mate is a mechanic and says he can set up the carbs for me, apparently it just takes patience, and he says he'll fit them for me although i want to do as much of it myself as possible!

vickiw106

vickiw106
  • Drivers
  • 146 posts

well the guy who sold me the webers said that they have already been jetted for a 1.6 GTi. does that mean i won't need to take it to a rolling road? (i probably will anyway)

throttle cables - do i just need two standard ones?
pedal conversion kit - i wasn't aware of this at all, where would i get this from and how much should i expect to pay for it?

i got my linkeage from rally nuts please see the linkeage below

throttle linkeage

you still want to have the carbs setup on your engine on the rolling road even though the carbs may be set up for a 1.6 gti a good rolling road will tune them to the engines envrioment ie different exhaust/manifold year of engine etc

hope this helps

vicious-monkey87

vicious-monkey87
  • Drivers
  • 105 posts
thats great thanks :)
which one will i need for my setup? would the top mounted ones foul the bonnet?

what about the throttle cables? are they expensive and where would i source them?

vickiw106

vickiw106
  • Drivers
  • 146 posts

thats great thanks :)
which one will i need for my setup? would the top mounted ones foul the bonnet?

what about the throttle cables? are they expensive and where would i source them?

i am running the top mounted twin cable lp2000 i am running a standard bonnett and they are no where near

here's a link for the cables

Edited by vickiw106, 23 December 2008 - 10:22 AM.

vicious-monkey87

vicious-monkey87
  • Drivers
  • 105 posts
thanks again!
it says in the tutorial for fitting them (on the main site) that the top mounted ones could touch the bonnet!
can i fit either type to my carbs? or do certain carbs take top mounted linkages while others take bottom mounted?