• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Finally Mapped...

smckeown

Well today was an interesting day, too tired to type the details, but spent about 5 hours at the mapping session, and here are the results.

RR printout

I drove it afterwards and my god it's an animal. The power keeps coming and coming, and when i think i'm near the rev limit I have nearly 2k more if needed.

Steve said there's more to be had, and a few niggles to smooth out. We didnt have time to play with cam timing or trumpet size etc.

166 bhp

146 lbft torque

750 kgs

221 bhp per ton

Now i'm off to bed.....

:lol::D:D:D:D

Edited by smckeown

willxs

Nice one, good to see all the time and anticipation has paid off!

Now get it on the track :lol:

Sandy

Spooky, but apart from the surge around 5-5500, the power curve is almost identical to a standard Mi! I bet it sounds 9 times better though!

macaroni

Was he a miserable git that hardly spoke to you, or does he reserve that treatment for me?

Sorry, still bitter. Are you happy with that power output with your spec?

Fuqa

166 bhp

146 lbft torque

750 kgs

221 bhp per ton

wow!! impressive results from an 8v.. u gotta be happy with that!

Jonmurgie

Nice one matey... looking good so far, do you know when it's going to get mapped a little more in particular the cam timing?

huckleberry

Sounds great 166 bhp from a 8v. Have fun with in on track!

It looks great too (pics in other thread). If it goes the way it looks it'll be a great car.

I'd like to have a look inside your head to see what your opinion about Dave's work realy is now.

smckeown

Have a look at the torque curve guys, it's this that has totalled stunned me and has made it drive like a scalded cat. During the RR SteveG was telling me it will have less bhp than i expect (175), but it will drive much better than i am expecting. He was correct. I am now educated in terms of how a car makes its power on the road. A big number isn't the be all and end all.

Spooky, but apart from the surge around 5-5500, the power curve is almost identical to a standard Mi! I bet it sounds 9 times better though!

Was he a miserable git that hardly spoke to you, or does he reserve that treatment for me?

Sorry, still bitter. Are you happy with that power output with your spec?

Yes, actually it has exceeded my expectations, the mid range is truly amazing, literally from 3k to 8k it's just constant hard acceleration

SteveG isa a top guy, his side kick (the other Steve) is a different kettle of fish...

Sounds great 166 bhp from a 8v. Have fun with in on track!

It looks great too (pics in other thread). If it goes the way it looks it'll be a great car.

I'd like to have a look inside your head to see what your opinion about Dave's work realy is now.

Yes the proof is in the pudding, I have the build I was hoping for from him, something special.

macaroni

Good, I'm glad you're pleased with it.

I must have got Steve P then, the other one wasn't there.

Jonmurgie
Have a look at the torque curve guys, it's this that has totalled stunned me and has made it drive like a scalded cat.

Nice peak but to me that curve seems a little all over the place... I am assuming that once the cam timing is done that will smooth out somewhat? Or is that to be expected with a proper lairy cam?

TEKNOPUG
Nice peak but to me that curve seems a little all over the place... I am assuming that once the cam timing is done that will smooth out somewhat? Or is that to be expected with a proper lairy cam?

I was thinking the same. Is it noticeable to drive or does it feel a lot smoother than it looks. Reckon that there is more to coem once you have a few thousand miles on it and another session on the rollers. Good work fella!

S33GAV

The power curve looks a constant progression but there seems a strange dip in torque at 3.5k and 4.5k?!

And what is the rev limit now?

macaroni

Just noticed the time at the top of the page - well late.

Not a nice neighbourhood to be in at that time of night I imagine.

rally ax

Wow , impressive result ! 77lbs/per ltr from an 8V is very good ,both my mates are getting that from they're

16V's .Very similar power band as me 3k - 8k ,wish I had 146lbs of torque ! Looking at the graph ,it must have more torque than a std at 2000rpm ?

Years ago I used to think that the peak number was king ;) now i look at the big picture .

That car will be a monster at a trackday, how many times have you come in behind some "numpty" that brakes more than you going into a corner ,slows you right down and you fall out of your power band and the boy thats chasing you gets a better run out of the corner and passes you !! :D

ENJOY ! :(

mfield

166 bhp is nothing to shout about, LAD and Hiflow get that easy

smckeown
Just noticed the time at the top of the page - well late.

Not a nice neighbourhood to be in at that time of night I imagine.

Haha yeah, that place is Pikey Town.

this isn't a pissing contest type thread, the engine has been build for a specific purpose, it's easy to take an engine and up the max bhp, that doesn't mean it's actually faster o na track. So no more of this kind of crap comment please

Butler

I think he was joking.

mfield
this isn't a pissing contest type thread, the engine has been build for a specific purpose, it's easy to take an engine and up the max bhp, that doesn't mean it's actually faster o na track. So no more of this kind of crap comment please

I think you took that the wrong way , i was actually pointing out how good a engine you have considering what other companies claim compaired to what they get.

Jonmurgie

Even I saw that as immediate sarcasim :D

Looking forward to seeing how it fairs with PeteF's "186bhp" 8v monster ;)

smckeown
I think you took that the wrong way , i was actually pointing out how good a engine you have considering what other companies claim compaired to what they get.

Ah, I really didnt read it as sarcasm, use the cheaky tongue smiley in future :D so apologies

Even I saw that as immediate sarcasim ;)

Looking forward to seeing how it fairs with PeteF's "186bhp" 8v monster :(

Yeah interesting, as his a little more torque but way more bhp. Anyway. he will be able to directly compare soon as he's coming with me to Anglesey for a serious track session :(

mfield

My work computer doesn't support the icon's on the left ( win98 ) my bad :D ( i only know how to do a smiley )

jackherer
My work computer doesn't support the icon's on the left ( win98 ) my bad :D ( i only know how to do a smiley )

: P ;)

Rippthrough
Ah, I really didnt read it as sarcasm, use the cheaky tongue smiley in future ;) so apologies

Yeah interesting, as his a little more torque but way more bhp. Anyway. he will be able to directly compare soon as he's coming with me to Anglesey for a serious track session :(

I did you a (very very rough) comparison (using MSPaint :D ) to the mi16 power curve. Or at least, the only one I could find.

th_2058vmap-1.jpg

edit: Caution, result may not be entire accurate. May not be at all accurate. I take no liability for any arguements that occur as a result of this comparison. By reading this you agree to a legal binding contract within which I take ownership of your soul.

edit2:- Redone with the official mi16 power curve rather than a user posted one. Not so pretty colours though.

Edited by Rippthrough

Anthony

If you don't mind me asking Sean, how much did Track and Road charge for the mapping and were you happy with their service and expertise?

smckeown

Overall yes I am very happy with their service and especially expertise. I have a few issues that i'm not going to expand on here. It's a shame we ran out of time, I was an hour late and that couldnt be helped. No time left for cam swings, trumpet changes and further fine tuning the map. He did suggest it's worth coming back in a few months for a smaller follow up session, which will be needed to optimise things further.

I'd be interested to see if mikeanics can do any better.

SteveG offered post map support, there is already a minor issue he's going to talk me through when I get back this w/e

They charged £400

I'm not going to expand on this, but for about 30 mins after the session SteveG took me though the other ECUs he maps, he does about 20 in total, and he showed me DTA, MBA, OMEX and Emerald. The conclusion was he is of the opinion you can map those ECUs 'quicker' than KMS as they support 3d vs 2d graphing and optimisation. Quicker means it can be optimised further within the 4 or so hours they spend on mapping a car from scratch. Food for thought! That's his only grudge point on the KMS ECU