• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

Which Gasket For 16v -> 8v Conversion?

christopher

I have a block from a 16v TU5J4 (106 Gti) that I am converting to 8v.

There seems to be a metal HEAD gasket for the 8v iron block and one for the 16v iron block. They are almost identical, apart from some of the holes are of different size and shape and the 8v has two extra holes.

Question is which one should I be using? I'm not sure if the 16v block is the same as the 8v as far as waterways and oil passages. I'm leaning towards the 8v right now..

I don't understand what is the significance of the size of these holes and configuration. Perhaps these cause a certain flow and pressures? Any explanation would be useful..

Edited by christopher

RossD

Well they had better be compatible as I have used a 16v MLS gasket for my 8v TU5 build..... You've got me worried now!

christopher
Well they had better be compatible as I have used a 16v MLS gasket for my 8v TU5 build..... You've got me worried now!

Ross I'm sure it will still work. I mean there must be a good reason when the holes are a different shape and size. My guess is it affects the oil/cooling pressure and flow somehow.

Some holes are bigger then each other and when you compare the two gaskets some of these are swapped (i.e a large hole is small and a small is large). Also as mentioned there are two extra holes on the 8v Gasket at the end of one cylinder as compared to the 16v.

Ross you using a 8v or a 16v block?

Edited by christopher

Sandy

I've used both, but the 8v gasket is slightly cheaper IIRC.

RossD

I'm using the 8v block from a TU5J2 (106 XSi 1.6).

Sign in to follow this