• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Daviewonder

Dkz Questions.

Daviewonder

Hello Chaps.

Excuse the questions but I have no experience with cat equipped 205s.

I've just been over to a friends to have a look at a black 205 GTI that he's bought. It's a 1991 1.9 with a DKZ engine and Motronic management. It's having a few running issues and the woman who he bought it off said it had never run right all the time she owned it.

Now it no longer has a Lambda sensor (or anywhere to put one) Would this affect the idle, running or both?

The throttle body looks the same as a normal GTI, with an adjustable idle (although this didn't seem to adjust anything) Is this the right throttle body for the engine? I read somewhere that some had twin butterflies?

The engine code matches the chassis number, which is good but what was the reason of putting a cat on a 1991 vehicle? Was it an import? What was the market for this?

Also it has a stainless pipe that appears from under the floor and ends up behind the battery. It looks like it's been capped off. Any idea what this is?

Thanks in advance, Dave.

Mikey S

Having no lambda sensor will affect how it's being fuelled, so yes it will affect performance somewhat. I'd be looking to get one back in it. Is the management light still working on the dash? (Top right of the dash display). I would be pulling the fault codes out of it if the management light is still working and go from there.

Catalysts were an optional extra from around 1991, quite why anyone would specify it is beyond me.

Can't help with the pipe though, any photos?

Mike

Edited by Mikey S

DamirGTI

All 1.9 dkz engines had catalyst as standard (at least here in EU) and not having one will fail the MOT

The pipework wich you saw is for the PAS , though these also had an EVAP system as standard and if it's still on will also have some additional rubber piping on the underside as well as the coal canister .

D

petert

It will run like a dog without a lambda sensor. Leave the cat off if you must, but not the sensor. The tube might be the vapour recovery system which runs from the fuel tank to the purge canister under the left hand front guard, but more likely PAS cooling tube. Get the car running well and it's very rewarding. Far better than Jetronic management. It has a throttle body identical to a Jetronic. We had these in Australia from late 90 onwards.

Edited by petert

Mikey S

All 1.9 dkz engines had catalyst as standard (at least here in EU) and not having one will fail the MOT

The pipework wich you saw is for the PAS , though these also had an EVAP system as standard and if it's still on will also have some additional rubber piping on the underside as well as the coal canister .

D

Not having a Catalyst on a 91 car is not a MOT failure in this country. Is it a failure in yours?

Mike

Miles

The tube should be plastic if the Carbon canister>fuel tank, that should be the only pipe there, Throttle body has one extra take off for the Purge valve other than that the same as the normal GTi (Year depending)

DamirGTI

Yes , over here catalyst is a must .

I have an late 205 with dkz engine and motronic management , I failed MOT for not having a catalyst and couldn't pass the emission test either .

D

jackherer

The catalyst test is only carried out on cars registered on or after 1st August 1992 here.

It used to be that you just had to pass the emissions test and if your car could do that without a cat then it passed but now the test includes the presence of the cat.

Henry Yorke

Sounds very early to have a cat on it so someone must have ordered one back in the day in "Prius Spec!!"

Are you 100% sure it is a DKZ? Have you checked the engine tag? Do you think it may be a 1.9 DFZ and a jetronic ECU (Ends in 345)?

Thijs_Rallye

Also it has a stainless pipe that appears from under the floor and ends up behind the battery. It looks like it's been capped off. Any idea what this is?

It sound to me that pipe is identical to a DFZ one, it is meant for adjusting the CO at idle, it is mounted to the downpipe before the catalyst. I don't remember if they were equipped with a lambda sensor though.

Double check your engine code.

A DKZ without a lambda connected will indeed run like a pig.

Daviewonder

Thanks for the replies guys. I've told him to get a lambda boss welded into the exhaust, so hopefully he will.

Yeah it's definitely a DKZ one. Chassis number starts VF320CDK and it has the DKZ tag on the engine. The air flow number is 0280202202.

I must admit I was surprised to see a cat on something this early. Is this an unusual GTI?

The pipe thing-

20170514_182044_zpskfmgbr47.jpg

Edited by Daviewonder

Miles

Very rare, It was listed as a option in the day but I guess some where ordered like this, Never seen that pipe before, Looks aftermarket

• Like 1

gwyn_mi16

Glad this has come up. Ive recently bought a 1990 1.9 GTI on a H plate that is also DKZ engined model running motronic. Must be a real early one. Its not idling well at all when cold and is backfiring/ overfuelling when off the throttle when warm. The cat and Lambda have been removed. As suggested above, Im going to have a boss welded into the downpipe and reconnect a Lambda, see how it goes from there. Will keep you posted @Daviewonder

• Like 1

welshpug

cheaper to buy a lambda boss and get someone to weld it on for you.

• Like 1

Thijs_Rallye

I must admit I was surprised to see a cat on something this early. Is this an unusual GTI?

The pipe thing-

20170514_182044_zpskfmgbr47.jpg

That is 100% sure a CO-measuring point from a DFZ engine. I have one on my 1.9 rallye as well. You can attach a CO meter to that bung to adjust the idle CO vol% (on the AFM) on an engine running Jetronic in stead of motronic. It is attached to a bung on the downpipe pre-cat.

gwyn_mi16

cheaper to buy a lambda boss and get someone to weld it on for you.

Ok thanks Mei