• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DrSarty

[project] Sarty Evo II - Phase 2 Of Project Sarty

Tesstuff
Quick question, with that much power/torque would a shorter ratio 'box really make it any quicker or just impossible to get power down in 1st and probably 2nd?

I would have thought if you wanted more GT and less GTI it would handle longer ratios for more relaxed motorway work. Guess it's down to the individual and what you want to do with your car and how you want to do it.

Regards, Seb

Excellent observation SebRad.

I think like you that it has the perfect box on it already. too short a box on a very torquey set up will compromise performance.

stefan

How come the revs in that video, when gearchange, drop just under 6k? Am I seeing it wright?

Haven't driven a 1.9 gerbox for a while now, but I don't remember it being like that.

Edited by stefan

SebRad

My recollection of 1.9 'box is that @6,000rpm 2nd = 60mph, 3rd = 80mph and 4th = 100mph.

DrSarty's car revs to ~7,000rpm, so:

change from 2nd to 3rd rev should drop to about 60/80*7000 = 5250rpm.

change from 3rd to 4th rev should drop to about 80/100*7000 = 5600rpm.

I've had another look through the video and its not too far off, does "look" like the revs drop slightly less than I'm predicting.

I reccon it's around 12seconds from 30 to 110mph and I've had a look through my collection of Evo magazines for comparisons.

Standard 1.9GTI they rate as 20 sec from 30 to 100 so probably @25 to 110, DrSarty's car is over twice as fast!

OK so that's too easy, let's try a proper fast, modern hot-hatch, queue Ford Focus RS (the 300bhp one)

Evo's V-BOX timing on that is 30 - 110 in 14.4 seconds, in 12 seconds it would "only" reach 100mph.

Hmmm, obviously the Focus's 1,500kg weight is an issue so lets compare with a light weight, e.g. Lotuc Elise SC. That's listed as 217bhp and 914kg.

They have it as 12.2sec 30 -110, as weight and power quite similar to the 205 this isn't too surprising.

What about something really fast, (well not really very fast but) a BMW E92 M3 with 414bhp V8?

Now this is quicker than DrSarty's car needing only 10.3 seconds to do 30 to 110mph, in 12 seconds it's nearly to 120mph.

Still the BMW is £50,000 and I bet the 205 "feels" faster.

Regards, Seb

welshpug

Rich has nigh on 200 lbft don't forget, in a car that should be under 900 kilos as it has no interior bar seats carpet (no underlay IIRC) and dash, and no cage.

SurGie

What no cage, a little risky after the recent cars that have been crashed.

welshpug

Its a road car, have you got a cage Surgie? :)

DrSarty

Excellent posts from Seb there; interesting and accurate stuff.

I agree that the current gearbox is 'perfect', but only in so much as the perfect compromise. Swapping ratios/FDs etc might produce some faster specific times, and/or cause traction problems. What it has suits my application.

I also reckon the 30-110mph time shown is under 12 secs, in fact nearer 11. Either way, your presented stats do reflect the sensation in the car and the comments earlier that it's relentless acceleration, and the 70-90mph whoosh is something incredible.

The car drives so normally and effortlessly up to 4k, then when YOU want things to go quick, entering 4.3k and up things start to get very rapid indeed.

Again, thanks for all of the positive comments. The car will have a shakedown at RAF Marham on 4/5 Sept. :)

maxi

Cant see the vid rich, any chance of wanging it on the tube?

DrSarty

I'll try and get it on there later today.

I'm currently on hol in Australia and have limited access to/interest in 'tinters. :P

DrSarty

Well my life's changing, and this little beauty is now up for sale. However it's being broken and would need an engine.

I have just listed the following items on here and the shell (and perhaps other bits) will also go on eBay.

> BE3 1.9 'box with Tran-X plate diff.

> Rolling shell (no engine), but Xsara VTS PAS rack and pump fitted, with full Emerald ECU loom.

> Phase II interior (I have front and rear seats if that's not clear in my ad) - can be separated from sale of shell if buyer doesn't need it.

> Emerald K3 ECU.

> Mi16 head fully worked, tested and skimmed.

> Colin Satchell & Sandy Brown 46mm throttle bodies on inlet manifold complete with 8 staged injectors suitable for ~240bhp+ on a 16v XU9/10 based set-up.

:lol: but :o .

I would like to thank everyone for their support (in particular Colin, Sandy, Galifrey, Anthony, Welshpug and others) during the build of this project. It's been an immense journey, raised a few eyebrows and delivered in buckets.

I've learnt loads and hope it's been entertaining. I wish the new owner(s) all the very best of luck, as they're going to get some stonkin' equipment and value and an amazing chassis, ready for road, track or rally+ use.

Cheers folks.

Edited by DrSarty

GLPoomobile

Rich

Whatever has happened in your life to bring this about, I'd imagine must been pretty sudden and pretty significant, so you probably don't want to talk about it publicly. I'm shocked though :o Just over a week ago you were talking about the likelyhood of selling it in the future, but I never expected this a week a later!

Are you seriously walking away from 205s altogether? Not even a standard 1.6 to keep the excitement?

Will speak soon hopefully :lol:

DrSarty

You're right about public discussion, and thanks for your concern/comments.

It's about redirecting my future to meet the potential needs of my son in 5-6 years' time. He lives abroad as you know, and I need to knuckle down - not frittering away money and time on speed, engines, parts and grip - and set up a stable base for him/us...for the unexpected.

I still own a 205 and am preparing one for a customer. I have 8 x 16v engines spare too. The love is not all gone.

In short, it's a bit of waking up and smelling the coffee that a few have mentioned/predicted (and for whose comments/advice I am grateful) and winding it in for a few years until I have stability regarding my career and family.

Trust me, a 205 or 306 will emerge in the future from me, at 2.2 or 2.3 litres with 16valves and roaring bodies to tingle the senses and imagination. ;)

• Like 1

harryskid

Sorry to hear this Dr Sarty, hope you will still stay on the forum.I must say though your reasons are very worth while. ;)

Daviewonder

Be sorry to see it go Rich, it's been an excellent project to follow. Hope you will still be visiting the forum regularly, Good luck with your future plans ;)

tidypug

To speak for myself, as I don't post very often, just nosey in on things ;). I am truly gutted about the decision, I do understand why though. It just seems that all the big/ different type projects are getting either not finished or finished and then sold before they are even finished which is a shame. Why is everyone leaving the 205 fold? Am I missing something?

Dr S, I wish all the best wishes to your future plans and hope you don't look back in a few years time with regret but, if I you still have the shell in a month or few then I may be able to take it off to put something fruity (engine wise ) in it :ph34r:

steve@cornwall

Best of luck with your future endeavours, Rich. At least you have the satisfaction of having built the car you wanted. I'm sure that with you on his side Nico will always be taken care of superbly - there can be no better reason for doing anything than the welfare of your children it's a shame more in the world don't realise this.

cRaig

Had been watching your (various and ambitious) projects with some interest and to a point; envy, so its a shame to see them coming to an end. I assume the engine is being kept for a rainy day and an epic 205 to go into :). At least the projects are stopping for the best possible reason of putting your family first. I wish you all the best in the future and look forward to seeing another awesome 205 at some point in the future :)