• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Tu3s Gearbox Options Etc

johnnyboy666

i need a new gearbox for the roland garros, but i cant find any and the 'whine' on mine is slowly getting worse. i need to find another option. is there another gearbox that will fit from a different model? i know all the 205 tu ma boxes will fit just with differing ratios etc but what about 306's saxos etc ive heard that a certain type of saxo bottom end is a straight swap for mine therefore being able to use that gearbox, is ths the case? and what benefits/problems could there be?? its also worth mentioning that i would like to get a little negative camber and slightly wider track at the front, and was wondering if 309 wishbones and driveshafts could be used for this? (i was also thinking about getting coilovers and eccentric top mounts after xmas period to aid this)

anybody able to enlighten me??

any help appreciated as usual :blink:

john

EdCherry

the saxo engines are TU's as well so they will use the MA box of s*ite too.

Believe you can fit a BE4 box which will be alot better in the long run, but not sure what its from or how you'd go about this.

bren_1.3
Believe you can fit a BE4 box which will be alot better in the long run, but not sure what its from or how you'd go about this.

its a lot more involved than just a gearbox change.

this MA is sh*te business, ive never broken an MA box yet? maybe its because i have mechanical sympathy for it. heel and toeing, rev matching, slipping the clutch to make its life easier, but in the 4 MA equipped peugeots ive owned (both 106 and 205) ive only ever had the clutch fork bearing break through wear and tear. granted this is fast road driving, and it could well be a different story in competition..

base model 309 track control arms and driveshafts should give you extra track and extra camber, not sure you wouldnt need the front ARB aswell from a base model 309? OR...

(with a little work in dropping the base model subframe off and replacing it with modifed gti subframe you could run the 1600 gti setup with even wider track? maybe something to think about over xmas.

something along the lines of......309 gti wishbones, 309 base model driveshafts. 1.6 205 gti hubs. that should get you the track and camber you need, and mate up to the MA box.

as for the gearbox. are you sure it isnt the release bearing? mine whines its nuts off. it must be close to 100K miles now for it.

johnnyboy666

edcherry- i was just thinking that a saxo gearbox would be very likely to have a lot less miles on it

bren 1.3-some interesting points there, i have also had 4 ma boxed cars 3 of them 205s and one 306, and the 306 one 'turned itself to tinsel' in the words of the mechanic, and ive only recently had the clutch release arm snap on mine (not what you want on a motorway exit leading up to a roundabout!! some definate arse off the seat braking was needed to avoid certain death on that one lol) unfortunately being 2 hours from home at the time i wasnt able to source a replacement box so just had the fork replaced which is annoying as i couldve replaced the whole gearbox for less money!

i'm not saying that ma boxes are sh*t but i could do with something a little more reliable :)

Jrod

You don't need a 309 arb. 1.6 extra track comes from the hubs no?

bren_1.3
1.6 extra track comes from the hubs no?

thats right! :)

Sign in to follow this