• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lando9000

A Few Q's About Brakes/suspension Problems.

lando9000

Hi all,

Long time lurker and second time poster here. I'm having problems with a 1989 205 GTI 1.6 with ~80,000 on the clock (no history to prove). I am having problems with my brakes and suspension.

Suspension first. The car need some parts refreshed according to the NCT (Irish MOT). We have replaced the lower control arms in the car as well as tie rod ends. The ball joined were blown so we decided to replaced with the whole arms. Since doing so the car has developed a knocking sound when it goes over a bump. If I'm going down a bumpy road downhill and as the car rises and falls over the bumps, there's a noise as if I'm driving over close together cats eyes. This sound is also there when going along the motorway at ~60mph and I turn the car left. It's the same sound and can be felt through the steering wheel. We bought QH control arms and tie rod ends from a supplier here if that helps.

The brakes issue is that the car seems to be pulling to the left under moderate to heavy braking. We have replaced all pads with new Mintex pads, new brake fluid and rear shoes and cylinders in the drums. the front discs are pretty much new. There are currently no fixing screws in the front discs as the PO decided he didn't need them for whatever reason. Is it likely that a caliper is going to need a rebuild or is it something else?

If anyone could shed any light on these topics, it would be great. We're dying to get the car out once it's safe!

Andy.

• Like 1

Plumbob

From my experience with my car I can relate to this...

The suspension noise could be the anti roll bar bushes or the drop links. Mine developed a knock a few 100 miles after I rebuilt it and it was one of the drop links where it joins the ARB. Maybe just go over all the nuts and bolts and just make sure they're all torqued up correctly still?

Also were your front hubs in a good state when you had it all apart? The hole in the bottom of the hub where it joins the arm goes oval due to under or over tightening of the pinch bolt, mine were shot so I had them opened out and sleeved by allenallen on here. He did a great job.

I imagine ovaled hubs would cause it to pull to one side under braking..

Did the MOT not show you any brake imbalance? Is your rear beam in a good state? If it's solid on one side that would probably make it feel pretty horrible under braking too.

Hope that's useful!

• Like 1

lando9000

The annoying thing is the NCT said the brakes were fine. The parking brake had an imbalance but that's another easily sorted out issues I'm not so worried about! I have checked the bolts and they seem tight to me. I will check hubs, droplinks and bushes. Thanks for the quick reply!

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'll check them out as well when we get working on the car over the next week!

TAG

It's worth checking that the rubber top mount is tight where it's screwed into the chassis. A clunk I had (especially when pulling away and coming off throttle) was caused by this being slightly loose.

• Like 1

lando9000

It's worth checking that the rubber top mount is tight where it's screwed into the chassis. A clunk I had (especially when pulling away and coming off throttle) was caused by this being slightly loose.

By top mount, do you mean the shock top mount?

allye

Shock mount/bearing is a very good shout, often over looked and can make a big difference.

• Like 1

alync406

As plumbob has said it sounds like a the hole in the hub has gone oval, this would cause the car to pull to one side when braking ad the ball joint moves in the hub and could also cause the noise your hearing too. If your brake problem was something to do with a caliper or that I would expect there to be an imbalance shown on the nct.

camgti

The knock is either going to be the droplinks. There notorious for wearing out quickly. Double check there is no movement in them. It may require you to remove them completely to check.

Otherwise sounds like the Shock/Damper top mount bearing rubber. Does the steering 'creek' when turning lock to lock when standing still (so you can hear it)? Bbm do a nice rubber replacement for them. They will be dead if there original.

Brakes may be from either an ovaled hub or a caliper not working properly. That would notmally show up in the MOT check but could be the problem. Is there any visual wesr difference you can see?

Cam