• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

SurGie

[car_restoration] Project Shades Of Grey, A Complete Overhaul Modifica

Liquid_106

Hi George - looking good. Is this a retrospective update thread or do you have a fast work rate?? :blink:

th_CalipersDAY003_zps8c22127d.jpg th_CalipersDAY002_zps9312f08b.jpg

......i fitted some new seals and put some silicone grease in the sliders.

Can I ask where you got the seals from - Big Red, by any chance? I've painted my calipers up, but in retrospect I should change the seals for peace of mind.

Cheers

Steve

SurGie

Hi Steve - Thanks.

Yes its a retro-active project thread, the cars not on the road yet but by the time it is the project thread 'might' be at that point if things go well. This way i can keep it interesting for other members so they wont have to wait too long for an update, now all the hard work has been finished off i have the time to post a project thread. No point rushing the car when its almost winter now, so at least i can keep to the same standard it has been, i say better late than never. Its been 4.5 years ago when it first got started on, lots of planning, research and raiding the piggy bank during this time. I cant say how much in taking your own time makes all the difference to how it works out to the end result, rushing can make a hash of things IME.

The caliper seals were pretty easy to fit, especially for my first time. It might be down to the brakes that had hardly been used compared to others on the roads. Yes, its always best to be over safe when it comes to the brakes, mine got painted after the seals were fitted. The paint is on the seals but all of it will come off once they warm up.

I got the full seal set for the front only from here > http://www.brakesint.co.uk/

George.

allye

Hi George - looking good. Is this a retrospective update thread or do you have a fast work rate?? :blink:

He's done most of it already, I've been asking him for months and months (when I was doing my conversion) to start a thread!

cybernck

So... this has all been done a long time ago and by the time the topic catches up with real life, the car will be due for another restoration? :lol:

• Like 1

SurGie

:lol: TBH the big jobs were sorted this year like the chassis painting, the further closer i got to it being finished, the quicker and more encouraged i got to get more and more bits finished. At the first two years i was saving, researching this well set out forum, searching ebay for bits and planning on how i want it to look like etc. Ebay has been my friend during this time, found some nice rare bits and bobs. Plus the usual things in life getting in the way, of coarse :)

George.

Andy_C

This should be sticky'd as a how to guide frankly. Excellent work - only downside is that it shows how much attention mine needs :(

• Like 1

davey sprocket

Yes, good work George and thanks for documenting it so thoroughly.

Had to chuckle though when I saw you'd plasticared the fuel tank. :-) Can't say it would ever have occurred to me to do so!

• Like 1

Para

Hi George,

How is the progress with the car ? You must be nearly finished with all the work, did you book MOT yet ? :)

johniban

This project is awesome! i wish i has the will power like you :)

SurGie

Thanks for the kind comments guys, it makes it all worthwhile :)

As for the fuel tank, well it was a bit of a mess and would look odd with the new floor pan, so i cleaned it then used plasticare, it had quite a few scratches but now looks much better.

Tried to start the car last Tuesday with no luck :(, so im waiting for another properly unlocked ECU and known working relay as these seem to be the main problems people have when doing this conversion. I bought the ECU with engine package as an unlocked one but it may not have been done properly. The fuel pump seems to prime on and off intermittently, which i think maybe the ECU relay.

Ive been mega busy these past few weeks but planning on updating this thread as soon as i can :)

harryskid

Well done mate, it shows hard work does pay off! :D

SurGie

Yep it sure does harry.

Bada bing bada boom, yesterday she started and she sounds very beefy indeed, just cant wait till i finish her off whats left to do then its mot time.

I found out it wasnt the ECU or relay as i tested both, it was down to me forgetting to fit the crank sensor on top of the gearbox. I know it's a rookie mistake but these things happen i guess. My 306 has one spare plug so originally thought the VTS loom would have too back when i was ftting the engine loom.

Only problem was the cam covers leaking like a good un, i did sort these out with quality rtv but the stuff i used says if the covers were to be removed at a later date, ie getting them painted to match my calipers n ARB etc. I can apply some oil between the sealant but i think this is the cause of the oil leaks. So that will be my first job, apply some rtv but do it how it should have been done in the first place.

Eiher way im very pleased all my hard work has paid off, the exhaust gases are very clean and clear so hopefully it should pass mot with ease.

I would'nt have got this far wihout the much needed help of my friends, family and least of all the helpful members from here, such as Paul 13 and Miles to name a few, thanks a lot guys.

ALEX

After just done all the work you have done in my garage with the car on a stand, i really im impressed as it looks like you have done this under the car, and to a standard that i can not match. I hated every minute of it.

Big respect, it looks great. You could earn good money doing a proper job like this for a living,

I did mine on my back with the axlestands set to max. wasn't at all fun.

Para

George keep it up good work, this is my favourite project out here and I'm looking forward to finally see the car up and running :)

PS: We still haven't seen the picture of full car !! :)

SurGie

Update.

This car maybe for sale very very soon, keep yr eyes peeled, this car is one of the best modified out there in the world.

Thankyou

allye

785d0191339a6422da28fad7be3de58c_zps6ujw

Edited by allye
  • Like 4

ATK

What sort of price do people ask for cars that are heavily restored like this?

GLPoomobile

For the best modified car in the world, I guess Surgie can ask any price he wants!

• Like 1

SurGie

lol

Daviewonder

Update.

This car maybe for sale very very soon, keep yr eyes peeled, this car is one of the best modified out there in the world.

Thankyou

What was the outcome of this George, did you sell it?