• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lemmingzappa

Gaz Spring Poundage Issue

blandy

Sorry missed that bit. Track 95% of the time and running Semi slick R888r etc type tyres

Tom Fenton

Following my post in 2010 I did go up to 275lb springs which matched the rear a lot better. For track only if say you could go further and try a 300. In actual fact I may have some 300lb 9" springs I would sell, I will have to go and look for them to check what they are though.

blandy

That's the other thing i was unsure of as it seems to be Varied lengths also so haven't a clue how long i need as dont want it sat on stilts

petert

350lb would be my choice, but you'll need to re-valve. I would have thought around 7.25".

Edited by petert

Tom Fenton

I've had a look, they are 7" free length x 300lb.

£30+post they are yours to try.

blandy

Going to try and see if there stamped on the spring to see what's on there now. How would I measure to see what length I need? £30 sounds good just want to make sure not going to be to high or low at 7" as I honestly haven't a clue I get the lb rating but the free length eludes me

Tom Fenton

Take your current spring off and measure the un compressed length. Obviously as you go harder the spring will compress less under static body weight, so you will need to adjust the collars lower for the same ride height. If the collars are as low as poss and the height is too high then you go to the next shorter length spring.

From experience I think you will find a 300lb 7" spring will be fine on a 205.

blandy

Turns out I still have the little sticker on one of my springs and there 2.25 x 8" x 250lb so guessing prob better looking for 8" length?

Tom Fenton

Up to you. Where are your coilovers adjusters height wise at the moment on the strut?

Andy

Just to throw in my tuppence here, as I am using Gaz coilovers , the spring rate on coilovers is determined primarily by the available suspension travel once the spring is supporting the static laden weight of the appropriate corner. As a rough stab, each front corner is about 550lb assuming a 55-45 front - rear mass distribution on a total mass of about 2000lb . Let's suppose we use a 150lb spring witha free length of 10" . This implies that under static load, thenspring will be compressed by 3.66" , leaving an installed length of 6 .33 " . Sutracting out the combined coil thickness which comes to about 4" leaves only 2.33" of suspension travel before coil binding . Not much in other words. I am not surprised that Gaz ( and others) all specify at least 200lb/inch springs , if not more, just to give a reasonable amount of suspension travel . That is the real restriction of coilovers on a road car. I am experimenting with a compromise of 160lb 12" springs which I hope will not be too stiff and give me about 3.5" of travel . Time will tell . Given that the spring is the shock absorber and the damper just as it says, there to control the oscillation of the spring, spring rate is critical for driver comfort on a road car . Manufactures use large diameter coil springs for a reason. They want a nice long spring with lots of travel which does not have to be too stiff to accommodate the wheel travel on poor road surfaces. For all track day drivers, ignore all the above as it does not apply/matter