• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
evskigti6

Ovalled Hubs:(

evskigti6

hi guyes and gals, just replaced both bottom arms on my car on the advice

of my local garage (they have never heard of oval hubs) as the car was pulling

hard tothe left when excelerating, turns out i waisted my time and money and now

desperatly need a n/s hub. my question is- is there any difference in 1.6 and 1.9 hub

carriers or am i right in thinking i can use 1.6 carriers with 1.9 hub and bearing?

cheers

evski

welshpug

if its a 1.9 you do need 1.9 hub assembly complete.

1.6 carriers use a smaller bearing and the wrong size spline for a 1.9 shaft, the offset is also different for the disc.

early 306 hubs from an XU model will fit, but you'll lose a little camber, best to fit both as well due to the differing alignment settings.

Edited by welshpug

evskigti6

didnt want to go down the 306 route(i could get these from pugplus if i wanted them) as i dont like the sound of positive camber. i'v tried all local breakers - ebay - here... im at my whits end now dont know what to do, havnt got £143 to give mr fawshaw either grrrr

pug_ham
is there any difference in 1.6 and 1.9 hub carriers or am i right in thinking i can use 1.6 carriers with 1.9 hub and bearing?

The 1.6 & 1.9 hubs use different sized bearings so you can't mix & match.

Graham.

Pugnut

309 bottom arm will dial out the positive camber of the 306 hubs. i used to the run this combo along with the 205 shafts and never had any issues over a couple of years.

shalmaneser

Do you want 1.6 or 1.9 hubs? plenty of people on here have spares knocking about, put up a wanted ad.

I've got a set of perfect 1.6 hubs if you want 'em, but it sounds like you've got a 1.9 and i'm sure welshpug or Baz or someone has some 1.9s.

We can be a fairly helpful bunch when we're not telling people to do a search for things!

welshpug
didnt want to go down the 306 route(i could get these from pugplus if i wanted them) as i dont like the sound of positive camber. i'v tried all local breakers - ebay - here... im at my whits end now dont know what to do, havnt got £143 to give mr fawshaw either grrrr

I wouldn't be surprised if Richard has got a set of 1.9 205 (or 309) hubs, give him a call :lol:

due to your limited number of posts you can't post up a wanted ad as far as I know.

I'm not far away but I'm afraid I have no 1.9 spares.

Edited by welshpug

DrSarty

I'm after an offside 1.9 hub carrier (or stub axle) myself.

If I get offered from several sources or find some more I'll let you know.

P.S. Telling people to search sometimes IS helpful!! It's to stop the forum clogging up with multiple topics on the same thing, which means people search and then find even more results, so post a new thread. And on and on the cycle goes :lol: . Good topic titles help as well.

Edited by DrSarty

shalmaneser
I'm after an offside 1.9 hub carrier (or stub axle) myself.

If I get offered from several sources or find some more I'll let you know.

P.S. Telling people to search sometimes IS helpful!! It's to stop the forum clogging up with multiple topics on the same thing, which means people search and then find even more results, so post a new thread. And on and on the cycle goes :lol: . Good topic titles help as well.

Lol yeah I know that Doc - I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to telling people to do a search!

evskigti6

haha, i knew you lot would tell me to do a search, but if i had of i wouldnt have been able to

put a cheeky little wanted ad at the bottom of my post :rolleyes: .

WELSHPUG rich has very little in the way of 205 spares and def no hubs :(

if anyone can help it would be MUCH appreciated!!!

P.S will the extra weight/power of the gti6 engine kill a hub more quickly?

cheers

evski

Edited by evskigti6

DrSarty

Of course it will. Think of physics. You are applying more forces. What do you expect?

The realisation I have had recently, is that we are asking a component to perform 20 years on as it did when it was new; and it's French!

When you add a larger, more powerful engine, with better road surfaces and tyres, is it any wonder these things break or wear?

It's old; look after it and replace it. What more can I say?

yippeekayay

I have a pair of 1.9 hubs.... if any one wnats 30 ea... recent bearings...

DrSarty

Well I'll take them both then please. MrG's coming to yours tomorrow (Saturday) to pick up bits, so he can pay cash and take them if that's OK?

Pugnut
haha, i knew you lot would tell me to do a search, but if i had of i wouldnt have been able to

put a cheeky little wanted ad at the bottom of my post :unsure: .

WELSHPUG rich has very little in the way of 205 spares and def no hubs :blush:

if anyone can help it would be MUCH appreciated!!!

cheers

evski

the biggest killer of hubs, bottom arms is stiiffer suspension and lowering. Think of the cornering forces in a normal car vs a lower and stiffer one. in the normal car the car is allowed roll and transfer weight and energy more evenly through the suspension and more forces are pushed up through the suspension turrets.

a lowered and stiffened 205 has bottom arms that are pretty much horizontal. Couple this with stiffer suspension and you are directing far more energy through the bottom arms, hub and ball joint.

evskigti6

you have pm

cheers

evski

brumster

Can I reuse this thread please :rolleyes: bit of recycling, can't be a bad thing!

I need/want to replace my hubs on the new car build, and given the abuse over the years my hubs are way past their best now.

Looking on my parts CD and servicebox, it would appear :-

205 1.9 GTi parts

3646 45 (RP) - left hand carrier (they call it the swivel pin, of coruse) ABS

3647 45 (RP) - right hand carrier, ABS

3307 72 (RP) x 2 - the hub itself

...plus bearings

That little lot is £443.27, excluding the bearings!

306 parts

Best I can see, XU 306 parts would be :-

3646 41 (LH)

3647 41 (RH)

Beauty of these is they are a complete kit of the swivel pin, the hub and the bearings too. £400 brand new, all in, including the bearings.

I'm tempted to just buy brand new 306 ones, then I know I've got a given quality - no worries about ovalised pin holes, no worries about bearing faces and so on.

Can someone verify the part numbers for me? Are the above 306 parts the ones with the smaller pin hole? My understanding is they are a direct fit, BUT I'll have to adjust out for camber over the old ones.

How much less negative camber are these hubs over standard 1.9 hubs? Do they offer zero camber on normal 205 arms, or do they go positive?

It's no problem; I've got adjustable lower arms, just curious as to how much worse they are

welshpug

make sure you get early 306 hub carriers, the later part number has an 18mm balljoint pin.

no idea what geometry they'll give on a 205 length wishbone, but they look pretty much straight up on a 309 wishbone IIRC, and will rub the arches to buggery.

brumster
make sure you get early 306 hub carriers, the later part number has an 18mm balljoint pin.

no idea what geometry they'll give on a 205 length wishbone, but they look pretty much straight up on a 309 wishbone IIRC, and will rub the arches to buggery.

Aye, pre-98 I believe? Apart from the pin size, they are identical to 205/309 gti carriers apart from the camber change?

I'm thinking the ABS points might be useful for adding future sensors for traction control (something on the long-term plan!)....

So as far as the parts CD is concerned, this is just "pre facelift"?

Thanks matey...

welshpug

precisely that yeah, they would have ABS drillings too, can't remember when the change to the hollow casting was done, I think that coincided with the change to 18mm BJ pin.

If you're on RJ wishbones (or PhillipM's ones...) then using the later hub with the 18mm pin wouldnt be an issue if you got a larger pin made (or used the larger balljoint as per Phill's design)

Pugnut
precisely that yeah, they would have ABS drillings too, can't remember when the change to the hollow casting was done, I think that coincided with the change to 18mm BJ pin.

If you're on RJ wishbones (or PhillipM's ones...) then using the later hub with the 18mm pin wouldnt be an issue if you got a larger pin made (or used the larger balljoint as per Phill's design)

my 306 hubs have the hollow casting, ABS holes and fit the standard 205 arms.

welshpug

righto, must have changed earlier than I thought then :)

brumster

Is the pin size the ONLY difference on the latter ones, albeit obviously their casting is different - I mean the geometry never changed?

Not a bad idea, come to think about it, the bigger pin size is probably a good point. Plus I'm guessing the hubs would be lighter, reducing unspring mass, or is there no real difference? I'd be happy to entertain the newer carriers with the larger pin provided there are no other geometry-related issues (that can't be solved with the adjustable lower arms, of course).

Pugnut

its was probably nearer 10 years ago that i got 306 hubs, but i got them from eccosse. they were incredibly clued up on these, and i would bet a phone call to them would clear things up. they also suppied mine and if i remember they were very reasonably priced. no idea what like these days.

Al

Ramigojag

Old bump, but is there a way to identify if it's a ball joint or the hub?

I've had the bottom arm off and can't feel any play in the ball joint, but I can't put it through the same pressure.

I'm more inclined to change the hub but wondered what people to do identify the fault for sure?

Tom Fenton

I use a long piece of bar machined to 16.00 at one end. Clamp hub in the vice put the bar in and see if it wobbles about!!

Other thing to look for is the gap between the two halves of the balljoint clamp pinch. There should be a clear gap of a few mm. If the two halves are touching or nearly touching then that's a sure sign the clamp has been stretched.