• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

allanallen

Rose Jointed Wishbones Again

allanallen

Afternoon all, after a string of ovaled hubs and knackered ball joints on my road rally car I/we decided enough was enough! Fenton and I combined our grumpyness and opinionatedness and made these

photo_zps89974fab.jpg

photo_zps1b8d41e5.jpg

photo_zpsb393945a.jpg

They use cheapo McGill 3/4unf joints sleeved down to 16mm with a en24t drop pin. I've just come back from a spirited drive down a very rough white near me and I'm still alive! Only time will tell how long the joints will last but I've used alot of them now on other cars and haven't had any failures.

Just thought some of you would be interested as there have been a few threads recently about making your own. These cost around £40 to make as we had a pair of wishbones already and obviously have the tackle to do it all ourselves.

I'll update this thread after our next rally in may, hopefully it won't be an obituary although I'm sure some of you may prefer that! ????

• Like 5

BlueBolt

I'm seriously impressed with the cost difference you have there!! Interested to see just how long they do last for too, even of the bj's only last as long as the bushes then it can't be a bad thing!!??

marksorrento205

Good effort :) If they hold out, which I don't doubt they will, I may be interested in a pair if you are willing to make some more :)

• Like 1

hcmini1989

2,hcmini

Shakey_Jake

Oooooh rose joints

Good work!

Any pics of the drop pin before fitting?

Adrian247

Think I would put some rubber boots over the joint and pack them full of grease, may just help them last a bit longer........

kee

have you got room to drop the joint and improve roll centres on lowered cars or is it too close to the brake disc?

I could do with something like this but with a polymer bush for the roadgoing class i want to race in

Spiky

Look like the way I made mine

To backup the McGill rj's

I'm using 3/4 as 3/4 and have had this setup for 2 years plus, no issues so using these joints is fine :)

And on track they have bounced over lots of kurbs

allanallen

Think I would put some rubber boots over the joint and pack them full of grease, may just help them last a bit longer........

I've purposely left the boots off so I can keep my eye on the joints ;) they'll be stripped and thoroughly checked over after the 061 in a fortnight, I'll fit he seals then.

Yes you could easily make longer drop pins and bigger spacers to help with rollcentre. My rally car runs standard ride height so we obviously didn't bother mind. Bollocks to poly bushes though :P

That's good to hear spiky! To be fair branded 3/4x3/4 rose joints aren't that dear if the cheapo ones don't last that long.

Can't believe no ones pulled me up on the zip tied shaft boots yet!? In the words of shaggy..... 'It wasn't me' :D

allanallen

Oooooh rose joints

Good work!

Any pics of the drop pin before fitting?

No sorry, although it just looks like a silver m16 bolt with the head modified a bit.

Spiky

My drop bolt is 12.9 unf bolt

I bought boot's but was advised not to fit them, if water got in it would destroy it in no time

So never borhered

allanallen

My drop bolt is 12.9 unf bolt

I bought boot's but was advised not to fit them, if water got in it would destroy it in no time

So never borhered

I was wondering that about the boots but the ones I've got are an incredibly tight fit! In the past all I've ever done is periodically clean them and apply motorcycle chain lube. To be honest I'm not arsed if I have to change them once a year because they cost peanuts.

Spiky

Mine have a little notch too for pinch bolt, probably safer with 12.9? But I'm sure yours will be ok :)

Spiky

As my car is apart I just took a pic if it

083885B2-7628-4CFB-9094-D997A9668650-117

allanallen

Mine have a little notch too for pinch bolt, probably safer with 12.9? But I'm sure yours will be ok :)

Not being funny but my pins are en24t so far more up to the job than a hi tensile bolt! I'd be more concerned about yours, can you actually get unf bolts in 12.9? By the looks of your pins/bolts the joint is sat on the thread rather than the shank aswell?! I'm sure you've had no problems but I wouldn't be happy fitting those bolts/pins to my car sorry.

Mine have obviously got the notches for the pinch bolts but I thought that'd be fairly obvious. Rather than the big not h you have mine have been machined to the correct diameter and depth for the bolt to fit perfectly and add to the strength

Edited by allanallen

Spiky

I don't know what en24t lol just saying what I have

I will check where the joint rests , I have inserts on my rj's too so I can use a bigger rj

I've no plans to change my as they been fine since they were fitted :)

allanallen

I don't know what en24t lol

:D not sure how you can judge mine as being 'ok' then!

welshpug

what do you guys reckon on machining the arm to take a spherical joint rather than using a rod end?

use the same drop bolt I'd imagine, I don't need it to be adjustable, just cheaper to replace than a complete GOOD quality wishbone.

Tom Fenton

Not enough material in the standard arm, plus the spherical bearing wouldn't give enough articulation before binding up.

Batfink

I was wondering that about the boots but the ones I've got are an incredibly tight fit! In the past all I've ever done is periodically clean them and apply motorcycle chain lube. To be honest I'm not arsed if I have to change them once a year because they cost peanuts.

pack them full of grease?

Cameron

Not wishing to rock the boat, but..

EN24T:

Tensile Strength = 850-1000MPa

Yeild Stress = 680MPa

Grade 12.9:

Tensile Strength = 1200MPa

Yeild Stress = 720MPa

So I would trust the bolt a little better. ;)

Tom Fenton

Tensile strength isn't the be all and end all here. Fatigue resistance is what is required and 24T is superior to a 12.9 grade bolt.

allanallen

I know it's been done but I'm not convinced its a brilliant idea, as Tom says there's not gonna be a massive amount of movement and that's be dependant on your ride height

allanallen

Tensile strength isn't the be all and end all here. Fatigue resistance is what is required and 24T is superior to a 12.9 grade bolt.

Bingo