• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

allanallen

Rose Jointed Wishbones Again

pug_ham

Yes you could easily make longer drop pins and bigger spacers to help with rollcentre.

I was talking to Martin (your boss ;) ) about this just yesterday & fitting longer drop pins to correct the roll centre will pull the hub in slightly but obviously with adjustable rod ends this is easily sorted.

I've wondered about just replacing the balljoint with a spherical bearing before, didn't wrc racing have a mate that was doing this a few years ago but found only certain wishbones had enough meat to allow it?

g

Spiky

I think you took my comment out on context,

Not slating your work,

Both are up to the job , just different ways of doing it :)

Cameron

Umm.. I'd love to see some evidence of that. :lol:

Shear stress limit on a 12.9 is way higher, so would be more resistant to fatigue with the same loading. I'm not saying EN24T is the wrong material or anything, don't get me wrong, I'm just dispelling the misinformation about 12.9 grade being inferior.

Edited by Cameron

allanallen

Hmm, seems my threads turned into some kind of advert for Spanish plate wishbones?!

Anyways, my inferior En24t pinned rose jointed bones survived the 061, in fact even better than that they improved the car that much we managed to finish 1st in class and 14th overall! With no help from Toms navigational skills whatsoever..... :P let me tell you it was a bloody rough event too, I'm sure Mark and Pete will vouch for that!

I've had the car jacked up and inspected everything and all looks well, they'll be coming off shortly to fit new bushes and fit the rose joint boots so I'll have a better inspection then. I'll probably dye pen the welded sleeves too.

That's all for now folks, Allan

• Like 1

Rippthrough

Yeah, they should be fine at that size joint, I'd imagine you'll get a least a year out of the joints even with them loaded in shear.

Tom Fenton

Hmm, seems my threads turned into some kind of advert for Spanish plate wishbones?!

Not any more.

• Like 1

allanallen

Cheers Tom, it wasn't even relevant to my topic,I'm trying to irradicate ovaled BBJ holes which those things didn't do!

marksorrento205

Anyways, my inferior En24t pinned rose jointed bones survived the 061, in fact even better than that they improved the car that much we managed to finish 1st in class and 14th overall! With no help from Toms navigational skills whatsoever..... :P let me tell you it was a bloody rough event too, I'm sure Mark and Pete will vouch for that!

I've had the car jacked up and inspected everything and all looks well, they'll be coming off shortly to fit new bushes and fit the rose joint boots so I'll have a better inspection then. I'll probably dye pen the welded sleeves too.

That's all for now folks, Allan

As I said on the Sunday morning of the 061, if ever there was an event to test these the 061 was it. More suited to green laning in a landrover, not a bombing down in a 205! On the strength of seeing what they went through I would buy a set! Top effort as always :)

welshpug

I've got a dead pair of 309 wishbones, would you be willing to sort them out for me and what would you want for your time and materials?

Alan_M

I've got a dead pair of 309 wishbones, would you be willing to sort them out for me and what would you want for your time and materials?

Not wanting to turn this thread into a For Sale, but if there is an opportunity for the above then I would be seriously interested!

I'm getting pissed off with dead balljoints (I don't think riding the kerbs at Wipperman do them any good!).

allanallen

Had these off the car this week to check over. when we made them we left the used bushes in, the front ones were fubar'd so I replaced these with genuine bushes, be good to keep my eyes on these too as its been mentioned they've gone s*it?! The £12 joints still look and feel like brand new, all the welds are fine, no sign of fatigue or cracking anywhere so alls good ????

They're so much easier to get on and off than standard wishbones too, it just makes me despise the standard joint and clamp setup even more!

I've decided against fitting boots, the car does that few miles I'd rather clean and oil the joints after each event and keep my eye on things.

Also a first, after I fitted the bushes I put the tracking gauges on to find the tracking was exactly where I'd left it which was nice for a change! ????

Anyway, we're all set for the vk rally tonight. Should be another good test for them as aswell as the whites there are 2 special stages around perez's estate which is ridiculously rough! Last year I managed to destroy 3 dampers doing 2 laps! Not good at the start of the night with over 100miles to then drive on pogo stick suspension! ????

Al

Edited by allanallen

Adrian247

Best of luck tonight, wish i was up there doing it........really enjoyed it last year :)

allanallen

Best of luck tonight, wish i was up there doing it........really enjoyed it last year :)

Cheers Adrian, I'm really looking forward to it now ???? it's all pre-plot again and like the 061 it's all on my 'home turf' so to speak so fingers crossed for a good result too ????

Miles

The other thing with std hub's which can be a issue it the clamp snapping too, mainly from heavy handed mechanics doing the pinch bolts up too tight

allanallen

The other thing with std hub's which can be a issue it the clamp snapping too, mainly from heavy handed mechanics doing the pinch bolts up too tight

Yep, had that too. Also had it where a hubs been that over tightened that the clamp stretches and closes itself up so it won't tighten anymore. Then the numpties have ground the clamp out so they can tighten it even more! ????

Not sure that makes sense now I've written it! ????

welshpug

Makes scary sense!!

Rippthrough

:lol:

allye

So what was the conclusion to this then? Will you be offering this service?

calvinhorse

I ask today and it sounded like a no, Tom Fenton might do it tho.

The work involved and materials makes it expensive

allanallen

It's not really the work or the materials as I'm sure we could churn them out at £250-£300 a set all day long. It's the fact that they don't bolt straight on and if one failed etc we'd be to blame. Neither of us want the mither.

This thread was never meant to be an advert, we just wanted to show (contrary to belief) that you can do it yourself on the cheap. To be fair me and Tom can do it alot easier than most but for an 'non engineer' it's still achievable by approaching a decent turner and welder to do the tricky bits for you.

• Like 1

unariciflocos

Hoping that these still work and you're still alive and in one piece.

Where would I be able to buy the drop pin?

allanallen

I'm alive! Mine are still great and going strong, what 6-7 rallies in now? :) the cheapo mcgill joints are genuinely brilliant for the money.

I believe 205wrc's friend sells a drop pin kit so maybe worth pm'ing him

unariciflocos

I'll go for the ultra high performance M20 ones just for peace of mind even if I'll just be the victim of marketing :).

I'll PM him, thanks.

Spiky

I did about 3-4 years on mcgills, no probs at all

unariciflocos

Soo, this is what came out of my attempt:

2014601221716.jpg

Do I dare install them? :D Anyone see anything horribly wrong with them?