• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
acox99

Group N Mounts With Eibach And Bilstein B4's

acox99

I've got b4 306 shocks on the front and xsara on the rear, im rebuilding the beam also and am toying with fitting solid rear mounts to the beam and group n front top mount rubbers. It's only a std road car. What are they like, Will it make it too harsh or is it worth it.

Anthony

I don't tend to notice much difference in terms of ride quality with solid rear mounts, but the Group N fronts are quite noticeable - you get a slight harshness and more fidgety ride with them fitted I found, to the point I reverted my own car back to standard top mounts given it hasn't seen a trackday in years and is purely road used nowadays.

dobboy

For me, the GrpN on the front made it feel more tighter and direct, but even more so combined with an upper strut brace.

With GrpA mount "4-piece kit", (sandwiches and they other two pieces Baker do) you are much more aware of what's happening at the back, albeit at the expense of very little (IMO) road noise. I didn't notice any significant vibration or anything like that and the more you use the car on the bends/windy stuff, the more fun you can have with it as you can sort of dictate where the back end is going to go by your speed/throttle/braking on corner entries etc.

They added a bit of fun factor for me, but more so re-in stored my confidence in the car after nearly going backwards one day.

I don't notice any harshness at all, slightly more planted ness but not uncomfortable harshness, and no one who's ever been in the car has ever moaned about ride comfort/noise..... I suppose the GrpA/N stuff makes the springy parts of the suspension do what it's meant to.

On roads doing a bit of spirited driving the car will feel it isn't going anywhere without you knowing about it.

Worth doing i'd say and if you don't like it you can always revert back.

If you are keeping your Eibachs on the front i'd consider bigger torsion bars for your beam whilst it's getting renovated, it's one thing i'd change on mine.

Edited by dobboy

GLPoomobile

Been years since I experienced either but I used to swear by the solid beam mounts. Felt it gave the car a much more solid "screwed together" feel without any undue harshness, though it did transmit some extra road noise. Only other down side for me at the time was it makes LOO a bit more challenging as you are removing some of that flexibility in the geometry.

Group N top mounts at the front - didn't like 'em. I would never use them again personally. Just a bit too harsh for my liking.

Hheppy

Got Group n mounts on mine, far too harsh, makes your fillings rattle, going back to standard this year some time.

acox99

Thank you for all your replies. By the sounds of it I will definitely use the group A rear mounts, but to stick with standard fronts, I currently have febi bilstein top mounts in and they have been fine, weather OE are much superior I do not know. What I dont want a car that skips,rattles and crashes about. I do have a front strut brace and I used to have a lot of fun in the car, it's never going to win races but it puts a smile on my face

Also the mrs will get a bit moany if the ride becomes too uncomfortable. An ear ache I don't need.

GLPoomobile

An ear ache I don't need.

Just add a Group N exhaust to the shopping list, problem sorted. She can moan all she likes and you won't hear a thing.

Alan77

I've got group N front mounts and I prefer them to the OE ones. Only crashy if you hammer speed bumps or pot holes. Each to their own I spose...

Simes

Group n on the front made it too crash. Like Anthony I went back to standard.

TAG

Fit a Gti6 engine on the standard inlet with an aftermarket air filter and discussing the finer points of NVH due to suspension mount material goes out the window!

"What's that mate?"

allye

Solid beam mounts/kit transfers a lot of road noise to the cabin. Wish I never fitted it to my 309. The 'group n' engine mount kit i fitted never bedded in either and wish I never fitted those!

Haven't even got uprated mounts on my rotrex GTI6 just a rotated standard bottom mount and a extra buffer.

• Like 1

GLPoomobile

Solid beam mounts/kit transfers a lot of road noise to the cabin. Wish I never fitted it to my 309. The 'group n' engine mount kit i fitted never bedded in either and wish I never fitted those!

Haven't even got uprated mounts on my rotrex GTI6 just a rotated standard bottom mount and a extra buffer.

Maybe the 309 is a little worse for acoustics. I didn't find it that bad on the 205, a little bit more humming like a duff wheel bearing, but not a big deal at the time. But back then, I always had loud exhausts too, I maybe wouldn't put up with it these days.

acox99

It's either standard or solid. The BBM group N rear mounts are no longer available as far as I'm aware which would the the compromise.

Without trying I don't know. There no S class merc.