• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

christopher

Problem Bleeding Brakes

christopher

Guys,

I seem to have a problem bleeding my brakes on my Euro Rallye. The standard euro rallye has the same setup as a 1.6 GTi. However I have a 1.9 GTI rear beam with discs fitted. I have kept the compensator in the engine bay.

I have a new master cylinder and servo fitted.

• One of the calipers (rear right, as seen from the back) doesn't seem to bleed easliy.
  • When I do an eazy bleed nothing comes out at all
  • When I do the two man method I need to use a lot of pressure to get fluid out, and there comes air out sometime

When I do the manual method am I supposed to push the pedal completely to the floor so it touches the floor?

When I have forced it to the floor I did get some black bits in the fluid and Am a bit worried i damaged the seals now..

I bled the sequence.

• Front left
  • Front right
  • rear left
  • rear right

Does this matter at all?

Going a bit insane over this..

Could it be the connections on top of the rear beam?

jackherer

If it only has the single compensator setup and one side is reluctant it has to be a blockage and this is backed up by the bits you've seen. How old are the hoses going to the bad caliper? They can break down internally and block flow and even act as one way valves in some circumstances, i.e. the brakes are held on after the pedal is released!

christopher

If it only has the single compensator setup and one side is reluctant it has to be a blockage and this is backed up by the bits you've seen. How old are the hoses going to the bad caliper? They can break down internally and block flow and even act as one way valves in some circumstances, i.e. the brakes are held on after the pedal is released!

The rear hoses are ancient :-(

Was wondering about the unions at the back. Because these are ancient too. There are no valves in these right?

Mikey S

Undo the brake pipe from the flexi hose at the bracket where the lower rear shock absorber bolt is. If it bleeds easily from there, then as above you've either got a problem with the flexi pipe on the trailing arm internally collapsed or you may have a blocked bleed nipple on the calliper.

If the flexi is at fault you can convert them to how the 306 is my just taking a brake pipe all the way from the large flexi around the beam tube to the rear calliper.

Mike

steve@cornwall

Sure I was taught to start at the bleed point furthest away from the MC and work in. But that was pretty decimal machinery

toolie72

Well I've always done it the furthest away way, but having said that when I replaced ALL the pipes in the car (they were a hodgepodge) I had a devil off a job getting rid of all the air out of the pipes

Once fluid started coming through it was fine but the initial purge was a nightmare

Bleed nipples not rotten no? If you took it out and fluid p@ssed all over the floor you'd at least know it was the nipple (NB not on your dads locbloc drive lol)

A bit of wood wedging pedal down overnight can encourage bubbles to at least get near the bleed nipple

christopher

Well I've always done it the furthest away way, but having said that when I replaced ALL the pipes in the car (they were a hodgepodge) I had a devil off a job getting rid of all the air out of the pipes

Once fluid started coming through it was fine but the initial purge was a nightmare

Bleed nipples not rotten no? If you took it out and fluid p@ssed all over the floor you'd at least know it was the nipple (NB not on your dads locbloc drive lol)

A bit of wood wedging pedal down overnight can encourage bubbles to at least get near the bleed nipple

I have replaced the all the four calipers so the bleed nipples should be fine.

Mac Crash

Haynes manual instructs (logically) to bleed furthest away from the master cylinder first and so on.

allye

Simple one to rule out, are you sure the nipples are blockage free? I've put compressed air through nipples before and they bleed much quicker after.

If you have access to a pressure bleeder they fire the fluid through like you wouldn't imagine. Did my 205 with a complete new system through out and didn't bleed the MC and it got all air out first time.

blandy

Try disconnecting before calliper and further back to see where the blockage is as it does seem like there is a blockage and as suggested probably a rear brake hose collapsed as I had exactly this issue previously on the rear right

opticaltrigger

Sounds just like a blocked hose to me to. I've had it myself.

I would replace them all.It's the black rubber bits you can see that tells all.

All the best

O.T.