• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dartman

Extending The Steering Column

dartman

I have a pedal box fitted in my car and my seat is right back against the fuel tank hump, as a result my steering wheel is a mile away. I've used a boss an extension and also have a snap off hub but still no where near and looks a mess. What's the best way to lengthen the column, I'll fabricate a mount for it so doesn't need original pick ups etc. Second thought are there any longer standard columns that would fit the UJ? 406 perhaps?

And

Think if it was me I would leave the column and just move it back on mounts to where you want and then lengthen the lower linage that fits between it and the rack, cut it this side of the grommet and the part that sides in to the column u/j joint and add in what you need.

steve@cornwall

Are you by any chance running a power type rack with the shorter bottom u/j ? If so maybe use a non pas (longer) in and fabricate mounts?

dartman

I am running a pas removed rack, but the main issue I have is I can't bring the column itself towards the seat as it changes the angle of the UJ which then interferes wits the pedal box, in an ideal world the column would stay where it is and I could just literally extend the part the steering wheel goes on. I've taken all the column apart and the internal spline is machined to fit inside the outer housing so simply cutting and extending isn't an option.

mb15

I'm tall and have the seat lowered and right back, I got a deep dish steering wheel which made a huge difference. Think it is about 10cm dish, might be an easier option.