• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Tran-x Lsd

driversdomainuk

Hi

Tran-X Diff, as with other plate type set ups require servicing....in anyone's experience, how often should they be serviced, and what is involved..? just changing the diff oil..??

Also I do not have PAS - and the car is for hillclimb use, I chap I spoke to at Tran-x recommended a 45/45 degree plate set up ???? - if my memory serves me correct..? can anyone confirm this..? as I am ordering it soon

cheers

driversdomainuk

sorry, ignore the above bollox. I just want to know what different ramp angles mean;

Tran-x offer 2 types on their website - 45/45 and 30/65 (I think!)

Will the 45/45 sewtup be best for non PAS..?

cheers

driversdomainuk
Text of an email I had from Tran-x is in this thread. I don't have PAS either.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...8&hl=tran-x

What setup is best for my setup then..? DT ask to state the application when ordering (hillclimbs etc..), so I guess they will talk directly with Tran-X from there....

Probably best as I dont really know :rolleyes:

Miles

It's had to say when they need servicing, The diff have plates in which wear just like a clutch as a example, On the circuit I used mine for 2 seasons and sold it and is still going without any problems so far, But it will be in for a service this yr.

45/45 is what I used with no P/S on my 309 and was fine

White Pugs

Hello Rob,

Are you/will you be trailering the 205 in future?

If you are doing road mileage as well I would go for a quaife ATB rather than a plate diff, the plate diff will also be hard work without PAS.

What do the other loton guys, Ralph P etc run in theirs, might be worth asking them as well.

Cheers

J

driversdomainuk
Hello Rob,

Are you/will you be trailering the 205 in future?

If you are doing road mileage as well I would go for a quaife ATB rather than a plate diff, the plate diff will also be hard work without PAS.

What do the other loton guys, Ralph P etc run in theirs, might be worth asking them as well.

Cheers

J

Hi James,

I think a few of them use plate type diffs but some use the Quaif ATB. As you know, the car is road legal, but only do around 1,000 a year on the road.

When you getting you new engine in..? as I mentioned, I am keeping with mine which is being rebuilt this moment! also a bit cheaper than planned as I wanted to pistons & liners replaced. However, my garage reckoned they are still in good condition and really dont need replacing. The crankshaft however was a totally different matter!!

White Pugs

Hello Rob,

I now have the engine spec finalised and will be going ahead with the build as soon as mine is sold (advert on the for sale board at the moment)

Hope yours is better after it's rebuild, you can get rid of the catch bottle!

I reckon a quaife would be the way to go for you as IMO I wouldn't want a Plate without PAS.

Cheers

J

smckeown
Hello Rob,

I now have the engine spec finalised and will be going ahead with the build as soon as mine is sold (advert on the for sale board at the moment)

Hope yours is better after it's rebuild, you can get rid of the catch bottle!

I reckon a quaife would be the way to go for you as IMO I wouldn't want a Plate without PAS.

Cheers

J

My KAAZ plate diff is absolutely fine without PAS, no different from the Quaife I used to have. Cheapest diff on the market too...

driversdomainuk

Too Late - Just bought a Tran-x Diff from DT - got a 10% discount as I am a member of the Pole Position club, which after the 10% discount on everything puts their prices about the same as all other suppliers :)

I know maybe the Quaif is a sensible option but I want to build as close to an out and out mod prod car as is possible, but still keep it road legal - which maybe slightly unusual but is certainly fun! - just had the heater matrix etc removed as part of the constant diet the car is on. No real loss as it did not work anyway, and weighs around 10kg which I could do without!!

Miles

I;ve never had problems without PAS on plate diff's and I know off a good 5 people who race using various, Tran 'X' or Gripper plate's,

Hill climb's I would have thought the chance of lifting a wheel is great (it is a gurston down) and therefore the ATB LSD wouldn;t be much use,

Let us know how you get on with it

driversdomainuk
I;ve never had problems without PAS on plate diff's and I know off a good 5 people who race using various, Tran 'X' or Gripper plate's,

Hill climb's I would have thought the chance of lifting a wheel is great (it is a gurston down) and therefore the ATB LSD wouldn;t be much use,

Let us know how you get on with it

Just had the Tran-x LSD fitted........ ;)

What can I say...normal driving is not too bad, but have come to the conclusion that you can in no way lighten your grip on the steering wheel when taking anything more than a slightly quick 1st gear corner/turn - which I found out today leaving an island and finding the car really wanted to thow me into the left hand side grass bank...

I am not looking forward to the 2007 season unless I get some real hard track time in - it really is that wild!!!

The way the steering wants to, and indeed does spin back to its "straight ahead" position is totally mental and like nothing I have never experienced before..unless you know what your doing the car becomes totally lethal...thank god this sort of diff was not sold on production cars!!!!

It handles really well though, each corner you can feel the suble "hint" from the car that it wants to go in a straight line....its only when your pushing it hard in a corner that it will sink its teeth into your ass and will not let go :D

Edited by driversdomainuk

smckeown

sounds pretty hardcore. I have heard the KAAZ are a lot easier to deal with. I'm happy with mine, it has good manners.

Would be good to hear how it gets on around the track

White Pugs
What can I say...normal driving is not too bad, but have come to the conclusion that you can in no way lighten your grip on the steering wheel when taking anything more than a slightly quick 1st gear corner/turn - which I found out today leaving an island and finding the car really wanted to thow me into the left hand side grass bank...

I am not looking forward to the 2007 season unless I get some real hard track time in - it really is that wild!!!

The way the steering wants to, and indeed does spin back to its "straight ahead" position is totally mental and like nothing I have never experienced before..unless you know what your doing the car becomes totally lethal...thank god this sort of diff was not sold on production cars!!!!

It handles really well though, each corner you can feel the suble "hint" from the car that it wants to go in a straight line....its only when your pushing it hard in a corner that it will sink its teeth into your ass and will not let go

(cough) PAS (cough)

;)

J

16v205

What ramp angles did you use?

Mine came preset at 30/60 and was very snatchy.

Its now at 45/45 and although you still know its there its much easier to drive with.

Rich

James_R

I'm just waiting for my engine so I can put the box in with this set up, can't wait. :)

driversdomainuk
What ramp angles did you use?

Mine came preset at 30/60 and was very snatchy.

Its now at 45/45 and although you still know its there its much easier to drive with.

Rich

It came with 45/45 ramp setup.

On another totally different note, I am currently in Egypt for a few days - and all the Taxi's are Peugeot 504's!! - Did Peugeot ever do a 504GTI.... :rolleyes: ...???? Was talking with some Arabic guy about the 205GTI and he had never heard of it....... :angry: anyway they probably never sold any in Egypt, which is probably for the best as they are not the best of drivers!!!

Guest Fangoria

i've got a tran x lsd in my 205 road rally car but i've fitted PAS which helped loads, bit of a nightmare without it

Edited by Fangoria

Chris H

I have my tran-x with the heavywight plate set up, and 45 ramp angles and i find it ok on my PAS equiped 309.

I have the electric power steering set so its not too assisted and you still know you've had a good work out at the end of a rally but can hang on to the car no problems whilst keeping good feel for the road.

philfingers

LSDs make the car very sensitive to both tracking and tyre pressures. When I first fitted mine, tracking was out slightly and so were tyre pressures (5 psi side to side) anyway it darted all over the place between power on or off (I thought the balljoints were loose or something!) but it was down to the tracking and pressures. I did one road rally with the no PAS (pipe burst due to sharp std pug metal bracket under dizzy- beware!) and felt like I'd done a round with Tyson. Worth it though. I changed the settings to 30/60 (got greedy, wanted more OR just plain curious!), which are gravel settings. Wouldn't turn in, just plain dangerous, fine if you're sliding everywhere but a bit difficult on the road at sensible speeds. This was due to the 60. which is basically 60(%?) on deceleration, it's locking the axle, wants to go straight on.

Sign in to follow this