• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Gearbox Serial No. And Type

dch1950

Hi,

I have taken delivery of a second user box for my Phase 2 1.6 Gti (1991).

On examining the box there were 2 features that caught my attention.

1) The speedo drive pinion has a 3 pin plug housing for a connector and where the cable actually goes in on my current box, on the new one it is filled in with resin.

2) there is half round bracket fixed to the top of the diff housing with ball end fitted in the middle of the arc.(not present on the current box in car)

The box itself carries casting ID of XU 30 BE3 on the bottom of the box housing by the diff and 19DS on the top.

This box was sold to me as the one for my car but I am getting a bit wary because of these differences.I have read the thread on "what box have I got" but have not really been able to identify my "new" one.Can any one help me please.

regards

Dave.

Baz

Sounds like a later one with a VSS, ala 306 etc.

Edited by BazGTMi

dch1950
Sounds like a later one with a VSS, ala 306 etc.

Hi,what's a VSS ?

Dave

richsmells

Vehicle Speed Sensor. The ECU on later cars i.e. 406 2.0 turbo, xantias, 306's use the signal.

dch1950
Vehicle Speed Sensor. The ECU on later cars i.e. 406 2.0 turbo, xantias, 306's use the signal.

Thanx for that,looks like my supplier doesn't know one 205 BE3 from a 406,306 etc.

Seriously though I take this box is totally us for my 1.6 205 then.

Dave

Miles

It's from a later Pug or Citroen as said,

No Scrappy, Gearbox recon place (Or very few) will know the differance and just sell you a BE3 gearbox and thats that, Unless your lucky and the tag is above and to the right of the diff cover telling you the CWP ratio that is the only idea of what it maybe.

The amount of boxes I get from people being sold 'X' and turns out to be from a Derv is amazing.

dch1950
It's from a later Pug or Citroen as said,

No Scrappy, Gearbox recon place (Or very few) will know the differance and just sell you a BE3 gearbox and thats that, Unless your lucky and the tag is above and to the right of the diff cover telling you the CWP ratio that is the only idea of what it maybe.

The amount of boxes I get from people being sold 'X' and turns out to be from a Derv is amazing.

I think you summarised it fairly well there Miles.

I suppose I'll have to take the hit - cretins.

However, the reason I needed another box was a diff housing blow up (I think) before I bought my baby. Given that the main casting no's are Ok (i.e XU 30 BE3) can I swap my gear train and diff into the newer box.Can you see where I'm coming from on this?.If everything on the outside is OK I'll just swap the internals - pain in the arse but do-able.

Dave

Hilgie

You'd better keep the current diff in the box as the later BE3 boxes have a bigger and stronger diff.

dch1950
You'd better keep the current diff in the box as the later BE3 boxes have a bigger and stronger diff.

Hi,

I can appreciate that.What classes as later?My Pug was registered feb/91 which means manufactured end of 1990 and has a CJ20 box.The one I have from MotorsparesUK is a DS19 type box and I am still tracking it down to the exact model via the 19X75 CWP and it's 47X35 fifth gear.The models at the moment are looking like ZX diesel which were from 91 onwards so it looks later (given the above comment).The gear train swap looks pretty simple if a bit involved.I suppose if a Bitsa box is going to evolve it might as well be a good un.

Thanx though

regards

Dave.

Hilgie

Most (if not all) boxes with a VSS sensor and the extra brackets are equiped with the bigger diff.

dch1950
Most (if not all) boxes with a VSS sensor and the extra brackets are equiped with the bigger diff.

Hi Mate,

Sorry I mistook which box you were talking about.Also found a BE4 casting mark on the actual box casing.The plot thickens.

regards

Dave.

Miles

The BE4's are from the latest car's, you should find a date stamp with the year written on it, If so it might be a bargin as you could swap the syn hub's over to yours and re-case it,

Only thing if you did you the late diff you would need the N/S inner Driveshaft from a 306 or phase 2 405

dch1950
The BE4's are from the latest car's, you should find a date stamp with the year written on it, If so it might be a bargin as you could swap the syn hub's over to yours and re-case it,

Only thing if you did you the late diff you would need the N/S inner Driveshaft from a 306 or phase 2 405

Hi Miles,

I take it you would keep the 19X75 CWP (of the donor) then and presumably my speedo would be out if I use my original speedo pinion drive.

regards

Dave

PS I been all over the casings, where is the date stamp to be found.-D

Miles

The 19x75 is pretty much a 3.9 ratio so this will make the gearing longer than a std 1.6 box of 4.05, Use your white coloured speedo drive from your current box

The date stamp's are in a circle all over the box, On the back of the Diff Cover, On top of the main box where there are quite a few raised numbers and letters

dch1950

Hi All,

I have been taking the peugeot service box site apart and have found out the following about my "new" box.

The 19DS on the top of the box refers to the the number of teeth on the pinion (hence 19X75 for CWP).

Date codes (as per Miles) in a little circular ring at various points on the box.(single digit)

Only 2 types of engine were fitted with a BE4 gearbox and a CWP of 19X75, the 206 Gti 180 and the Gti Hdi 110 and the 307 Xsi (EW10J4S and the DW10TD). The ratios are

1st - 2.923,2nd - 1.866,3rd - 1.366,4th - 1.054,5th - 0.745 on a CWP at 3.947.

All this is probably no use except to me but it may come in handy.

The final question is should I use the standard CWP at 4.063 and the original ratios (i.e 3.25,1.85,1.36,1.069 and 0.865)or the newer one at 3.947 and the above ratios.

It all boils down to do I just drop the new box in with no mods, or do I transfer my current gear train set onto the 19X75 CWP set,or.........

regards

Dave

:(

Hilgie

Late Xsara VTS were also equiped with a BE4 box..not much difference with a late model BE3 box anyway.

dch1950
Late Xsara VTS were also equiped with a BE4 box..not much difference with a late model BE3 box anyway.

Hi Hilgie,

probably not old son, except for the ratios and the CWP.

regards

D

:)