• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ajr

[car_overhaul] 205 Gti6

Ajr

Hi All, thought i'd chuck up my project. Here's a bit of background info:

Spec:

1988 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9. White(i think it's alpine white? creamy), reflective red tailgate panel & no sunroof

XU10J4RS 2.0 16v 167bhp engine conversion

6 speed gearbox to compliment

Stainless magnex exhaust system

Pipercross Induction kit

283mm front brake conversion

One of my mates text me asking if i needed a track car, to which i replied i already have a track car, why. So he said his mate was getting rid of a 205 GTi6, intrigued i say how much is he after, he says the guy is desperate to get rid, and he doesn't want any money for it. The catch is that i need to collect it, and it's been sat still in his garage for 2 years.

So a week later myself and a good friend who had an mi16d 205 headed to another mates in portsmouth to borrow his trailer, then to bracknell to get the car, then to my mates house in tunbridge wells to drop the car off, then portsmouth to drop the trailer off and back to mine! All in all a trek.

The car had been run periodically while in storage so with jump leads it started and ran fine first time. Aside from the flat tyres & lack of seats causing a slight problem i drove it onto the trailer.

Upon inspecting the car back at my friends house we identified a few problems, well a lot actually but i won't go into it.

The progress so far:

Clearly you can see it is a heap. The wheels were polished, a long time ago :wub:

SN150477Q.jpg

The interior is a mess. Old owner was kind enough to give me new rear discs though :lol:

_DSC4292QQ.jpg

There is a little rust on the inner wing, but that's the only bit in the bay. Will weld a patch in.

_DSC4287QQ.jpg

It's been used as a bumper kart:

_DSC4288QQ.jpg

_DSC4285QQ.jpg

The sills need sorting out. Drivers side needs welding, passengers side is light surface which i'll thoroughly redo. Will paint lower panel pass side and whole 3/4 on drivers side.

_DSC4284QQ.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

Fuel hoses perished:

_DSC4291QQ.jpg

Couldn't get the filter off without taking the rad out! Going to use clio 172 filters from now on.

DSC00040.jpg

Ajr

Around now i brought the car back to mine, we have 9 french cars on the drive! 205 gti6, 106 XSi 16v track car, clio 182 trophy, AX, Saxo 200bhp, C2 VTS, C4 Exc, Saxo 1.5d & 2cv! Half are mine :wub:

Fitted a new battery:

DSC00037.jpg

Fitted some black 1.9 speedlines with brand new tyres all round ;) You can see i polished the wing and side of bumper for the pic :lol:

023-2.jpg

I quite like the red panel:

022-1.jpg

Fitted one of my spare seats and harnesses for time being:

012-1.jpg

Gave the engine bay a quick once over:

013-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

Started taking it apart to really look at the rust!

011-2.jpg

017-1.jpg

Ajr

Had a quick polish with a mates help:

008-3.jpg

007-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

It still needs work on the paint, we'll get the PC on it once the welding and spraying is done!

Did the interior today, going to start on the beam shortly!

Both of the large plugs(100mm) were leaking water, one had come out all together, the other had started rusting which seperated it from the sealant and let water in. I used a wire brush on drill bit attachment to do the underside of the plugs, scraped the surrounding seam sealer off and brushed the area, applied new sealant and stuck on. Wire brushed the surrounding area of floor too as this had obviously been affected by water ingress.

385961074.jpg

I then painted the affected bits:

385961076.jpg

385961077.jpg

Removed centre console etc and fitted carpet:

385961078.jpg

Fitted interior trim etc:

385961079.jpg

385961080.jpg

385961081.jpg

I need to clean the interior thoroughly again, and apply leather conditioner to the seats once a week for a while to soften them up and restore them :wub:

Feels so much more complete inside now though!

Ajr

I had decided when looking underneath the car that it needed a good going over, the floorpan is ok, the back end though was nasty. So i got the giant wire brush on the drill again and went over the underside. I couldn't do all of it without removing the beam, which i'm doing in the next few days! Anyway i am painting it white naturally!

Magnex off for now, it was leaking at the front join onto the manifold anyway, and i needed to take it off to do the beam, and to take heat shields off to paint under them. Naturally i will clean it, split it, polish the tailpipe up and then reseal it when refitting, with new rubber hangars.

1903092001.jpg

Rear panel:

1903092002.jpg

Underside(first coat):

1903092003.jpg

New lights will rock when fitted!

1903092004.jpg

Low mileage 309 GTi wishbones and driveshafts:

1903092005.jpg

1903092006.jpg

That's all for today folks! I did go to work till 1pm, and then had lunch before i got started!

Naturally i have a STACK of parts waiting to be fitted:

I have some better bumpers which i'm going to repair the light damage on and then paint.

Got the ph2 rear lights to wire up, useful guide on the main site!

309 GTi low mileage wishbones & driveshafts

309 GTi fresh refurbed beam with grpA mounts

Cambelt kit & water pump

Oil & filter

Discs & pads all round

Think that's it?!

I've only driven the car for 10 miles to an MOT place and back, so i have a vague idea of how it drives. Looking forward to driving it with all of the new bits done :wub:

Hope you enjoyed reading!

bensonmi

your well jammy! id love to be offered something like that,its not that bad condition considering,looks like it will be a good project

Ajr

I am jammy indeed, ends up that my mate paid for all of the fuel to pick it up too, and the car's mine :wub: I'll let him drive it though. He drove me to pick up the interior and 309 bits too for free, can't ask for better mates really.

It could be a LOT worse, the only annoying thing is the sills really but they always go, and if i do them now properly they'll be fine for ages.

The car actually lives under a cover, and will be garaged after the summer so should stay mint once i get it that way :lol:

I'm considering using it as my summer transport for work ;)

BackStreetRacecars

looking good matey... always nice to see the makings of a good clean white '6 powered 205!!

Ludi

Some guys are really lucky. :):D

Rock on dude.

Ajr

I continued with the abuse today!

Took the 205 beam off, turns out it's actually alright, it had been making no noise when i drove it to and from the MOT station, which is a fair round trip, and there is no camber. But hey, i had a freshly refurbed 309 GTi rear beam here for it, so it's all good :blush:

I painted the rest of the back end white, and gave the stuff i already painted a 2nd coat. I also painted up all of the brackets and stuff for the beam so it's all minty :D I love to look under a 20+ year old car to see everything looking spot on! The beam & torsion bars have been blasted and painted too! I need to do the anti roll bar end plates though.

I fitted the new discs to the new beam, and it started raining so i covered the car up and postponed play.

Pics will come tomorrow or next weekend depending on when i get round to fitting the 309 beam :)

Sorry for the lack of pics.

Craigo

not a bad car for free!!!

i do like the work you are doing! :rolleyes:

Ajr

Thanks Craig :D

Next chapter:

My 309 GTi beam has been sitting in the shed for a while.

A few details on it, the 309 beam is 50mm wider in total, that leads to a healthy increase in track width! It also features larger torsion bars & anti roll bar.

Mine has been freshly refurbished with new metal pins, bearings & seals so it's mechanically brand new.

I have also fitted a BM sport grpA mount kit, which consists of Acetal(black hard nylon style) front inserts on the beam, and solid aluminium mounts of the offset bushes that go on the rear of the beam mounts.

Of course you will remember from the last installment that the underside of the rear of the car was stripped down and painted white. Since then i have removed the old beam and painted the rest of the underside, and will go over it twice more before refitting the new parts to make sure it's thoroughly covered!

So i painted the beam mounting brackets:

260309018.jpg

The metal bushes for the rear of the beam:

260309019.jpg

The beam has been painted black, has the acetal bushes fitted and is fitted with new brake discs also:

260309025.jpg

Old beam is long gone:

260309020.jpg

And how she lives:

260309021.jpg

I simply can't wait to get these bits on. And as you may remember from previous posts, i also have the low mileage extended wishbones & driveshafts from the 309 GTi to widen the front track also :D

Not long to go :)

Edited by Ajr