• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
easypug

[car_overhaul] Everyday Car / On Going Project

easypug

Recently I have been driving around in a 406 which becomes fairly tiresome so I set about finding another 205 GTi to become my everyday car. As such I picked up a Graphite grey 1.9 non sunroof on Saturday just gone, having a good look over the car which mainly consisted of looking for rust rather than any mechanical faults I was happy with my purchase.

From my Pre MOT inspection I carried out yesterday I was semi sure that it wouldn't pass but thought I would stick it in to see what else it might fail on. As such the test was halted not even half way through as both rear calipers had seized on. I have my suspisions that while it was on the brake test (handbrake part) is when it happened as when I was taken into the workshop to see the car it was just off the back of the rollers. I got a story of how the rear shoes were stuck on to which I corrected them saying the vehicle has disks. They then said we can take the vehicle in today and have a look at it for you but I was already thinking up my escape plan. With the rear of the vehicle jacked up it was pushed out of the workshop, I thought I'd try and shock the calipers free by moving the car back and forth which never worked. So off back home to get some tools. To add more drama I didn't have to locking wheel nut key so had to work from underneath with the wheels still on. In the end I took the carriers off removing the rear pads freeing the wheels to rotate.

So an updated list of things to do asap:

• Change rear calipers
  • Change back to standard exhaust

Once that lot is done and its on the road an running good I will start sourcing parts for the following:

• Rebuilt rear beam
  • 306 GTi front brake set up
  • 306 GTi shocks all round + new springs
  • XU10J4RS engine swap
  • Fit a complete interior again
  • Remove gay spoiler
  • Remove all horrible red interior trim
  • Remove imobiliser

Here you can see the gay spoiler.

IMGP2305.jpg

Here both the gay spoiler and exhaust.

IMGP2310.jpg

Finaly here you can see the lovely red trim bits.

IMGP2311.jpg

Alan_M

That reg plate would suit Anthony to the ground........

Dear god, what an interior :lol:

luggy

Immaculate car!, no need to change the rear calipers unless youve got seized nipples :blink: My wifes s*itreon Xsara had a seized rear caliper, same caliper as a 205.

Remove the brake disk and press the brake peddle a few times to free up the piston, compress the brake pipe and remove the piston from the caliper.

It had seized due to holes in the rubber cover, luckily no rust on the piston, removed rubber piston seal and cleaned up the piston and seal housing, put it back on, new rubber cover and bled the caliper. Passed MOT .

Roman

ouuuch what a interior... :lol::blink:

easypug
Immaculate car!, no need to change the rear calipers unless youve got seized nipples :blink: My wifes s*itreon Xsara had a seized rear caliper, same caliper as a 205.

Remove the brake disk and press the brake peddle a few times to free up the piston, compress the brake pipe and remove the piston from the caliper.

It had seized due to holes in the rubber cover, luckily no rust on the piston, removed rubber piston seal and cleaned up the piston and seal housing, put it back on, new rubber cover and bled the caliper. Passed MOT .

I've got a fair few bits lying around so swaped them over this morning so all is well with the brakes again now.

Latest list of things to do:

• Change rear calipers
  • Change back to standard exhaust

It's amazing how off putting the dash is, when looking out in front at the road all you can see at the bottom of your vision is a red mess. It's horrible on so many levels.

EdCherry

WOW that dash is so horrible on so many levels.

The spoiler is a bit errr... gash.

Will be nice to see it restored to its former glory.

easypug

Ok Bit of an update, I swapped the rear calipers over as mentioned before so have included a picture of it off its wheels for effect. I also whipped the dash out to get rid of the horrible red bit and as i'm changing over to a later phase 2 black dash. While the dash was out I also removed the Imobiliser and all the old alarm wiring and ecu which wasn't wired in :)

There is only one bodge left in from what I can see and that is the by pass of the Tachy Relay which I will look into another day possibly.

easypug

Done a few more bits to it this weekend. Also got some pictures on my camera which is at work, I'll add these during the week. I still need to find all the other dash parts that are missing and swap over the plastics on the centre console. Looks 100 times better though :)

easypug

Got my self a suitable doner of which I'm going to be taking the engine and brakes. Also started striping the current engine to put the bits on another 1.9v I have. Just on the look out for a half decent interior now.

post-3299-1215445059_thumb.jpg