• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kane

Ew Engine Dimensions

Kane

Hi all,

I'm doing a little research on possible engine conversions for my classic mini and after reading up on the results that can be had from this engine I thought I'd see if it would fit. The track width of the 206 is only approximately 200mm wider so shouldn't have too much trouble there, its mainly the overall height and depth of the engine built I'm looking for as I'm ideally looking to fit it under a standard length roundnose.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

EDIT: forgot to say it is the EW10J4S (GTi 180) engine that I am enquiring about.

Edited by Kane

Kane

Cheers Schumi, Best get the tape measure out and see if she'll fit!

welshpug

I think the TU might fit in a mini a little easier possibly.

Reasoning is that the Metro/Rover 100 got a TUD engine, so there may be some part adaptability far easier than making something that wasn't ever remotely used :)

However the EW is quite a bit lighter, and leans back a little.

Kane

I'm quite interested in fitting the ew engine after reading the results sandy and Matt on here have achieved. I had originally looked at going Honda as it has been done countless times before but I would like to try something different, plus the Honda engines aren't the greatest for producing torque.

I'd ideally like to end up with something that could be competitive with the other hybrid minis about so hopefully the ew would stand up well.

Thanks for the heads up about the tu anyway Mei.

rallyeash

Honda engines are also expensive compared to a EW.

Kane

Yeah I found that also. I was quite pleased when I had a gander on fleabay and seen some ok mileage engines going for a couple hundred pounds!

Mac Crash

Don't feel you have to call it "classic mini".... it's the only Mini there has ever been, the BMW car is simply a BMW with a mini badge, it's not a mini...

The bike engine conversions are seriously quick if that's what your looking for, plus you get Jap reliability, high technology engine, RWD and sequential shift and awesome revs/sound... there are a few good companies make the kits now.... but you'd be changing your old mini for ever, that's the point I guess...

Schumi

I'm building EW engine powered 106 but your EW poweres Mini idea much more interesting than mine. :)

Kane

Ha ha that is true! I had looked at the bike engine in the back route but decided to stay with front wheel drive for now.

If I can get it to fit I think It should be a pretty mental car. Have you got a build thread for your 106 schumi?

Schumi

Not yet Kane. I'm collecting parts at the moment. But I think its time to open a thread. I will prepare photos.

Schumi

I think the TU might fit in a mini a little easier possibly.

Reasoning is that the Metro/Rover 100 got a TUD engine, so there may be some part adaptability far easier than making something that wasn't ever remotely used :)

However the EW is quite a bit lighter, and leans back a little.

TU5 engines heavier than EW and not that small as I and you think. :) Here is TU5 dimensions.

http://www.peugeot-citroen-moteurs.fr/cache/docs_public/6666cd76f96956469e7be39d750cc7d9/27_fr-fr_fiche_publique.pdf

Willem_Jacobs

just being curious here, why go for torque? The mini is a lightweight, so what do you actually need torque for? The motorbike conversions lack torque as well, and they are seriously fast!

welshpug

so its even faster :P

Willem_Jacobs

erm... hard to disagree on that... :)

rallyeash

Still need good torque.

A normal bike engined mini isn't *that* fast, but does give a frantic feeling.

Mac Crash

limited to about 125mph anyway due to the bodyshell.... but even the 100mph is nervous in a mini :mellow:

Kane

The motorbike engines may lack torque but what they make up with is the ability to rev a lot higher. As the car will mainly be used on the road, possibly a day-to-day car, I don't want to have something that requires pushing North of 8000rpm regularly to get going.

I'm not fully clued up on this so if I'm wrong then feel free to point it out but I'm under the assumption that it is most important to ensure that you maintain a decent flat torque curve throughout your power band, most importantly between peak torque and peak rpm. So this was my reasoning behind considering the gti180 engine as it's been proven to be a fairly decent engine in terms of overall power delivery.

One of the other reasons I am slightly reluctant of the Honda engines is because it has been some extensively before so why not give myself a challenge and try something now.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome