• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ldryden205

Engine Troubles

Guest ldryden205

Im not sure what is wrong with me 1.9 gti the car will struggle to start if left for more than 24hours. i took it out the other day and it staled at a junction and wouldnt restart. the recovery driver said the head gasket was gone but im not so sure. There is mayo on the oil filler cap but the oil in the sump is good, there is also bubbles in the coolant tank, i also cheched the plugs they have are black & sooty. anyone got any ideas?

PS is there anyone else up here in the highlands (near inverness).

cheers.

j_turnell

Does sound like the HG im afraid but you best get a compression test done ASAP to be certain. Keep an eye out for any water in the oil and try to avoid driving it when possible.

damien

I wouldn worry too much about the mayo if the oil is ok as these engines pick up the mayo if they are used for loads of short trips without being warmed up. as above get a test done to see if its the hg

Guest ldryden205
I wouldn worry too much about the mayo if the oil is ok as these engines pick up the mayo if they are used for loads of short trips without being warmed up. as above get a test done to see if its the hg

the car only does 3 miles in the morn 3 miles at night s doubt its getin warmed up in that time il get a comp test done and let yous know the results cheers

DamirGTI

Hi !

Bad ignition module or coil maybe <_< id try first with another ignition module ..

Check for spark , first from the main coil HT lead and then on spark plugs , also check if the fuel pump primes - remove the rubber pipe from the fuel rail and crank the engine ... (but do this testing when the engine is cold or left standing at least 24h..)

It could also be the tachymetric relay , or the ECU temp. sensor ;)

Anyway I've also had similar trouble with hard starting the engine from stone cold or if the car was left standing for 24hours , was very hard to fire it up , but once it started it didn't cut out as yours , was running fine :

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...826&hl=cold

After a lot of time spend on checking testing riping things apart I've finally fix this by changing the ignition module ...(no it wasn't the fuel pressure reg. ... it was the ignition module :D )

Hope this helps :D

Damir

Guest ldryden205

i changed the coil and the ht leads but its had no effect il check the other things you said thou cheers

Mikey S

if theres bubbles coming up through the expansion tank theres a good chance its the headgasket gone. any decent local garage will have a block tester that they can check for the signs of headgasket failure. if its gone and theres coolant entering the bores it will be an arse to start.

Pugnut
if theres bubbles coming up through the expansion tank theres a good chance its the headgasket gone. any decent local garage will have a block tester that they can check for the signs of headgasket failure. if its gone and theres coolant entering the bores it will be an arse to start.

and to add it will probably run on 3 cylinders when it does start for a moment until the water clears.

does it drink a lot of water?

Guest ldryden205

done the comp test and all the cylinders are exactly the same at 12 bar ive also rewired alot of the engine electrics and changed the lower rad pipe and the radiator this seems to have stoped the bubbles in the coolant its still has trouble ideling from cold so il check out the sad 2morro.

cheers for all your help.

Sign in to follow this