• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Silky

To 16V Or To Not 16V

Silky

Having now been to Pugfest, my attention turns to doing some more work on my XS.

I bought an XS as it was a lot easier to do a 16v TU conversion, which was always my plan. There aren't many about and it gives me a project.

However, after driving the XS to Pugfest and back, it actually drove really well. Reved lovely and pulled well for a 1.4. Downsides are that it sits at 4k rpm when cruising which is right on the spot of the solex carb running spot on, drinks fuel. It also feels like it needs another gear, the box ratios don't suit distance driving.

My plan has always been to go 16V, with trying to buy a cheap 106 gti, butchering it for bits I need and breaking the rest to cover costs. Is something different and would really test any skills I have.

Would also have a good XS engine to sell on.

Finding a cheap 16v breaker is proving tough, within budget. But still think it's the route to go.

jamie_1992

i was thinking the same thing to mine (i even have the engine) but now thinking i might leave it standard as there is not too many xs about now and seems a shame to rip the engine out properly devaluing it

aldworth33

That's sounds like a good idea but I'd keep the standard stuff incase you change your mind. My mate had an s1 rallye with a 106 gti engine and it was great fun. I'm pretty sure if you look in Facebook pages for pug sales there are tonnes of 106 gti's for sale for under a grand. What are you thinking for the rest of the car?

Silky

Ideally want an mot failure or rear ender for around £500

Rest of car is to look standard though will sit lower and have nicer wheels.

Anthony

Be a shame to butcher another XS which is a lovely car as standard and feels supremely nimble thanks to the lack of weight over the nose - the TU3S engine is great too, eager and loves to rev.

It is as far as I'm concerned the true UK Rallye in all but name. I sorely miss mine.

• Like 2

Silky

Great points Anthony, which make me thinks to stick with it and clean it up

Just feel 16v would be more fun, I hardly use the car as it is

tdr_1976

You could invest in a manifold and do this with it :D

I love the TU3S Engine, and would never replace it with a 16v engine.

11737957_10153104389687861_2490487140917​

• Like 2

welshpug

throttle bodies is the answer, a lighter way to get more power, and a bloody good soundtrack.

there is quite a weight difference from the alloy to the 16v iron TU, I think almost to the point you might as well stick a 16v alloy XU or even an EW in if you aren't constrained by the capacity of class regulations.

Silky

throttle bodies is the answer, a lighter way to get more power, and a bloody good soundtrack.

there is quite a weight difference from the alloy to the 16v iron TU, I think almost to the point you might as well stick a 16v alloy XU or even an EW in if you aren't constrained by the capacity of class regulations.

Agree that TB's sound great, but the cost is quite a lot too.

I could possibly do the 16v conversion pretty cheap if I find a donor car to break

Silky

You could invest in a manifold and do this with it :D

I love the TU3S Engine, and would never replace it with a 16v engine.

11737957_10153104389687861_2490487140917​

That looks super clean and tidy. Will have to read through your project thread.

Where did you get your manifold from?

That a weber carb?

chipstick

I'd suggest doing what you believe will maintain your interest in the vehicle.

If you won't use it much, and when you do you wish it was something else - will you end up getting bored and lose interest/sell?

If you convert it and then later decide it wasn't worth the hassle and has taken away the originality, change back and know you tried it and made an informed decision based on experience rather than always thinking 'what if'.

Bodies for the sound are a good choice!

rallyeash

I just broke a saxo VTS...

what do you need?

tdr_1976

That looks super clean and tidy. Will have to read through your project thread.

Where did you get your manifold from?

That a weber carb?

Hi mate,

The Manifold is a Bogg Brothers custom made one, Really happy with the quality of it.

I'm using a Weber 40 DCOE.

I used to run twin 40 Dellorto DRLA's on it, fantastic fun, and sound every bit as good as throttle bodies, at less cost.

If I did have the money and wanted to go back to a full on fuel system, I'd go throttle bodies next time around.

rowley

hey why don't you just change the 5th gear ? i have dioone that back in the days that i was driving an xs... in belgiu we drive 120km/h ( don't know how many miles it is ) and the engine drove 4500bhp with the 5th gear of a 205 green or XR it took only 3800 bph yes, there will be a dead spot but than also it is an overdrive and not a gear to race :)

omega

from what you saying you happy with what the car does it seams the fault is with the gears you need a longer 5 th gear for lower revs or maybe bigger wheels? then a few engine mods and you will be happy.