• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johnnyboy666

Cooler Plugs For Higher Compression Ratio?

johnnyboy666

I'm fitting a TU3s head on a saxo VTR block, and as such the compression ratio will be substantially higher.

Would it be advisable to run cooler plugs? It seems like it would be a good idea to me, but a lot of these conversions that I've heard/read/talked about seem to stick with standard ones.

To be honest, it's a bit of an afterthought, as the engine is just about to go back in the car, but I was just making a quick mental list of things to do before start-up, and the plugs sprang to mind

Thanks in advance

calvinhorse

I always used what ever is recommended for a Saxo vtr, fuel was important, I couldn't run it on anything but super unleaded (on standard xs dizzy coil, cam and pulley)

the last one of these engines I made I used a +0.2 repair gasket (multi layer steel) and drilled the jet out which made for a lot less pinky engine

My first engine was a standard gasket and I didn't drill the jet, it pinked a lot if you laboured it but went like stink!

johnnyboy666

Yeah I've got a repair gasket on 1.9mm mls, I make my own jets by turning down the head on weber dgav ones, so have plenty of sizes at my disposal, and will run it on super. And a backup plan if it pinks too much is to move to mappable ignition.

Would the vtr ones not be suited to a lower compression ratio?

calvinhorse

Just googled it and it shows 6s for a vtr which is what I probably used and 6/7 for an xs

Like I say mine worked very well with the vtr spec plugs and similar compression to what yours will be, just run it and see how it goes then have a look at the plugs.

I left my first jet standard and drilled the main jet, it overfueled judging by the plugs but I think this also helped with the detention..

Sandy

BCR8ES if you need to go cooler.

johnnyboy666

Cool I'll give it a bash and see what happens.

Cheers Sandy, they're a good £20 cheaper than the ones I'd found!