• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris adams

Lightened Mi16 Flywheel

chris adams

does anybody have or sell a lightened/balenced mi16 flyweel, or do the machining

Edited by mi8 turbo

cammmy

I found something on google a while ago. Have a search

chris adams

yea ive found 1 at hiflowheads for £88 so going give them a bell.

JeffR

You could get your flywheel lightened when you get the entire bottom end balanced by a competent machine shop. A worthwhile investment IMHO.

chris adams

im not planning on opening up the turbo engine otherwise it will open a whole can of worms :lol: ie hone the bores new rings throw in the 92mm stroke crank which needs polishing skim the pistons machine out the dish to compensate the overstroke also machine the head to lower the compression new bearing shells so on and so forth. and thats not what i want to do yet.i need to save some money to upgrade the trannys first those are my next most important areas to consentrate on and at £500 for the diff cage and pinions upgrade its goin to take some saving, dont forget im out of work :(

Edited by mi8 turbo

cammmy

Machine the head to lower the compression? You mean you are going to increase the volume of the CC's?

chris adams

well if i stick in the overstroked crank id have to skim the pistons qiute a lot which increases the compression i could gain some back by fully machining the dish around the piston but i doubt it will be enough so i would have to machine some out of the head aswell or just stick in a spacer plate, which might be cheaper

Edited by mi8 turbo

chris adams
Machine the head to lower the compression? You mean you are going to increase the volume of the CC's?

yea remove some material to increase the cc s. what you said :lol: !

petert1345402284

Sorry to change topics, but I don't think I'd ever bother stroking a turbo engine. Why not just wind up the boost? And/or change the cams? Fit an intercooler? It already has a steel crank, so nothing to gain there.

chris adams

im led to believe that the extra torque is well worth the exchange even if it is for the turbo motor. i have already got the 2.0 xsi cam, throttlebody, turbo technics mani and t25 turbo to solve some of the breathing issues, the boost will be turned up as much as possible and untill ive mounted the engine im not buying an intercooler but there will be one in place.

petert1345402284

Are you talking about a 16V or an 8V?

And you know that all XU10 flywheels are the same as an Mi16?

chris adams

im talking 8 valve. i didnt realise xu10j2te flywheel was same as mi16 tho.

petert1345402284

If 8V, why are you mucking around with an XSi cam? You should get it reground with a wider lobe centre angle (and more duration if desired) so it better suits the turbo application.

chris adams

a lot of threads ive read use the gti cam or xsi with saying its more lively than the standard turbo cam even cat cams say the fast road cam is a good upgrade for the turbo. personally id never go for a reground cam.

Edited by mi8 turbo

petert1345402284
personally id never go for a reground cam.

why?

chris adams

and catcams view

Matt Sav. ! The profile is restricted to the amount of material on the original cam which generally means short duration/high lift profiles are not an option. Also it raises the fololwers higher in the head which leads to followers rocking and wearing the head out much faster. And as the base circle is reduced the radius on the nose of the lobe becomes smaller which promotes faster wear.

Edited by mi8 turbo

petert1345402284

But you'd fit a 2nd hand XSi cam onto 2nd hand buckets that came from a different engine?

Matt's comments really aren't applicable to the 8V as the buckets are very long. In addition, you can fit lash caps to avoid having a shim outside the OEM range, which is very wide at 4mm max. Most shims are half that thickness and 2mm isn't removed from the base circle. So lots of wife's tales in their my friend.

Most amature cam installations fail because of new lobes on old lifters/buckets, insufficient run in time and incorrect lubricant. Do a search on the Crane website. There has been plenty written about the lack of zinc in modern oils and how this effects initial cam lobe run-in. ( see Crane Break-In Lube). Peugeot 8V cams are very soft and need to be carefully installed and run-in correctly.

chris adams

oh it wouldnt be any old seconhand cam it would have to be good condition on the lobes. plenty of inspection, the buckets ive got are at the machinests being skimmed so they are all the same height and flat.

chris adams

is there any specific lift and duration that could be focused on in a blank cam grind for a turbo motor or is it hit n miss depending upon spec and what is wanted/needed from the car?

chris adams

what about if i used the specs from a cosworth would those be any good?

chris adams

disgard that last post while my turbo manifold is close to stock and initally to small for the engine from factory, it is best to use a normally aspirated cam due to the excessive back pressure the xu10j2te suffers from.

Edited by mi8 turbo

petert1345402284
it is best to use a normally aspirated cam due to the excessive back pressure the xu10j2te suffers from.

No, that's a compromise. I turbo cam has wider lobe centre lines than standard so that the overlap period is reduced. Have a look at the profiles on the Catcam website and you'll notice that the exhaust has little or no lift at TDC. You can still have more lift and duration to fine tune for a desired rev range.

Edited by petert

chris adams

its not a compromise as the standard cam runs dry at high revs. fair dooes that the boost kicks in a little over 500 rpm later but who cares.?

Edited by mi8 turbo

chris adams

just because the cam specs say they have so much lift and duration does not mean it will work well for a perticular application.

Sign in to follow this