• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuart

Sump Spacer / Extended Pickup Needed?

stuart

I'm just about to start assembling my Mi bottom end and debating whether or not to fit the spacer plate and extend the oil pickup or not.

The engine will have a Gti6 sump, oil pump with baffle, 26t drive sprocket / 52 link chain and guard and also the windage tray fitted. I'm also going to fit a 13 row oil cooler I have left over from my rally car (taped up on the road) so that will increase the capacity silghtly.

The car will be on road tyres / suspension and possibly be used for a trackday or 2 at some point but will mainly be for the road so don't want to go overkill on preventing oil starvation if I don't need to.

My main reasoning for not going for the sump spacer (especially with the ally sump) is ground clearance, as I live down a bit of a bumpy track, although I do want to take all necessary steps to avoid a spun bearing.

Also, if I were to fit the spacer plate would it be a good idea to extend the hole in the oil pickup with a piece of tube as opposed to the proper petert method?

Opinions / experiences of others on this would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

Stu

petert

Adding the 15mm sump spacer only increases the vertical depth of the engine by 12mm.

Miles

Having had a few sumps crack at the std height I'd be careful as you will see minor scrap marks on std sumps as it is

joris_andriesse

I have the same set-up, including a extended pick-up, takes 8L of oil.

You are saying your going to use it on the road mostly, than I wouldn't use the oil cooler. I don't have one and even then I'm having trouble to get some temperature in my oil. On the highway not higher than 70 degrees, only when I'm pushing it off highway, I'm getting it on 90 degrees.

Sign in to follow this