• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

skeggyrik

[car_overhaul] Miami16. The Story Of Slowly Progressing 205 Build.

Anthony

Shame after spending so long building it, but I guess that if you're not using it and you don't foresee that changing then maybe it makes sense :(

Redjam007

What a fantastic thread, took a while but I read the whole story, I am just starting my Miami MI16 project at the minute, it's stripdown time, and I will be following a path similar to yours. (So if you have any spare spares that may help I would gladly buy them from you) all what you have wrote I will take on board , it will be a help towards what I have ahead of me.

skeggyrik

Had a go at the fading trim and bumpers on on the 205.

I have previously used some G Technic stuff with good results but the bumpers always looked faded and several shades lighter than the side trims.

Bought some of the Autobright Restore 2 Black Permanent Dye and tried the rear sections and rear bumper.

It goes on on really easily, wipes off the paint and the red trim easily and seems to give a good even result. I think with some careful touching up with something more accurate than the big sponge donut they provide, it will look very good indeed.

Before, looking faded and powdery

th_IMG_0464.jpg

After

th_IMG_0465.jpg

The rear bumper has really taken up the colour well.

th_IMG_0467.jpg

I am pleased and will continue with it for the rest of the trim.

You can see the lacquer issues the car is now suffering in the above photo, it has crazed and looks almost matt at some angles. Can you tell the tailgate had paint in the past?!! :lol:​

Edited by skeggyrik

skeggyrik

I am having a very log and drawn out dilema about my 205. I am once again considering parting with as i am just not using it. I took it out to a local  slalom event last year which was fun but I don't get the time to do many of them and without power steering it's a difficult day. I did try another event this year but the coil failed on the way there and that spoilt my plans. (photos from the day attached) Since then it's done a few trips to work but not much else. The paint is now failing and has begun to look tatty instead of just unloved. 6 months spent outside while I built an extension to my house and with the sun this summer, it has really finished it off. The lacquer is lifting on the roof and all areas that still have original paint have gone dull and crazed.

I'm not prepared to put a four figure sum into getting it painted to an acceptable standard it deserves.  

Other than putting it up for sale to let someone else invest in paint or take it on themselves what else can I do?

Will stick some recent pictures up later on. 

Blandford Slalom 1.jpg

Blanford slalom.jpg

Telf

Keep it, a few years down the line after selling it one will pass you on a sunny day and you will think ' why the f**k did I sell mine!'

happened to me

:D

• Like 1

Anthony
1 hour ago, skeggyrik said:

I took it out to a local  slalom event last year which was fun but I don't get the time to do many of them and without power steering it's a difficult day.

If lack of PAS is a show-stopper, that part at least is comparatively easily and cheaply remedied (if not quite as cheaply and easily as other engine option given it's an Mi)

My attitude is generally thus:

Do you enjoy driving it when you do get to use it?

Do you need the money and/or space from selling it?

Is there another car that you want that would give you considerably more enjoyment?

Assuming the answers are yes, no and no respectively, then keep it for the time being and see how you feel next year, providing that you can learn to live with the paintwork in the meantime - you can't see most of it when driving after all...

Doof
On 9/20/2018 at 5:40 PM, Telf said:

Keep it, a few years down the line after selling it one will pass you on a sunny day and you will think ' why the f**k did I sell mine!'

happened to me

:D

Ditto. Keep looking every 6 months or so then quickly lose interest when i see the prices these days!

barneys66

The smile in the last pic says it all.

Either learn to love the shabbiness, or perhaps get it wrapped on the cheap.  That said, someone may be able to revive the original paint for less then you think..?

As above, spend a few quid getting EPAS installed first, as this may be the catalyst for sorting the paint.

skeggyrik

Anthony, it is a YES, NO, NO which is why I still have it. That has been going on for a while but all the time the car is deteriorating. 

You can see what I mean about the paint in these photos. My worry is leaving it in this condition and have the rust get in. 

IMG_4203.jpeg

IMG_4205.jpeg

IMG_4206.jpeg

Anthony

I see what you mean now - it looked OK in the photos above, but the deterioration is clear in those photos :(

I don't think that rust will be an issue though - the problem is that the lacquer coat has failed, but the underlying paint (and below that, primer) is still intact.  Chances are it'll just continue to deteriorate cosmetically, but the underlying metalwork will be fine - certainly you see plenty of later 90's Peugeot's with horrendous lacquer peel worse than yours (Diablo Red seems to be worst for it) yet rust is never an issue.

Telf

I'm with Anthony on this- it may look horrible but its unlikely to cause much damage to the metal- you might have the funds/inclination/time to repair it in the future.

If you get rid of it you might regret it.

cybernck

So... what's the verdict? :)

jamorgan4

I was wondering what happened to this car?