• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205wrc

1.6 Gti Engine + Diesel Gearbox

205wrc

Hi

has anybody on here tried the combination of a 1.6 Gti engine fitted to a diesel gearbox. The reason I'm asking is that I've been given a diesel box for free, and was considering fitting it over Xmas. I did have a 1.6 box with an MI 16 final drive fitted about 18 months ago but the planet gears exploded on a road rally, and exited the box via the dizzy cap !!. I have read that the close ratio box for the 1.6 engine is the diesel box with a 1.6 final drive, but what is the complete diesel box like - without swapping anything over. I still have the 4:4 CWP, and the standard 1.6 CWP in cardboard boxes if a swap with the diesel one is required - I was just thinking about saving time !!!

Cheers

Aled

Anthony

I'd think that it would be awful and waaaayy too long - 1.6's on 1.9 'boxes (still alot shorter than a derv) are bad enough.

205wrc

The Ratio's I've found are :

Diesel

1st 3.308

2nd 1.882

3rd 1.280

4th 0.969

5th 0.757

CWP 3.471

1.6 Close Ratio

1st 3.308

2nd 1.882

3rd 1.280

4th 0.969

5th 0.757

CWP 4.063

Standard 1.6 GTi

1st 3.251

2nd 1.850

3rd 1.360

4th 1.069

5th 0.865

CWP 4.063

Anthony

It's the final drive that's the killer

(not quite sure why that's called a 1.6 close ratio box either, as the gearing is wider spaced than a standard 1.6 box ;))

pug_ham

It would be horrendous, the car would be painfully slow & nothing like a GTi at all.

I've got the equivalent of the 1.6 close ratio box on my 1.9 GTi now (mines from a 405 SRi) & fifth gear is to long for that to pull to the limiter without a major long flat straight. Its good on the motroway but with my box on a 1.6 it'd only work in the first three gears & that would be the end of progress at GTi pace. Fifth would be an absolute nightmare.

Graham.

pugpete1108
It would be horrendous, the car would be painfully slow & nothing like a GTi at all.

I've got the equivalent of the 1.6 close ratio box on my 1.9 GTi now (mines from a 405 SRi) & fifth gear is to long for that to pull to the limiter without a major long flat straight. Its good on the motroway but with my box on a 1.6 it'd only work in the first three gears & that would be the end of progress at GTi pace. Fifth would be an absolute nightmare.

Graham.

i would have to dissagree ,unless i havent got the close ratio one, i had this combo on my gti and found that when i changed the box for a 1.6gti one and didn't find much difference apart from the long gears , it also still got up to 120 .

nippy of the start and good on the motorway i would have kept it but it got quite a bad oil leak.i think its still in the garage actually

pug_ham
i would have to dissagree ,unless i havent got the close ratio one, i had this combo on my gti and found that when i changed the box for a 1.6gti one and didn't find much difference apart from the long gears , it also still got up to 120 .

I had this same gearbox (405SRi / 1.6 GTi c/r) on mine as a 1.6 before I swapped to the 1.9 engine & yes, whilst it was OK especially on the motorway for cruising, it struggled quite a bit when it got to a hill in 5th.

On fast A & B roads it just about worked as 4th gear(same as 1.9 4th) is a nice halfway house between the standard 1.6 box 4th & 5th but the drop between 3rd & 4th slowed progress a bit when really go ing for it due to the lack of comparative torque oon a 1.6.

My 1.9 starts to slow pulling much over 6k in fifth (which is near 130mph), it does still pull but not as quick as I'd like.

I only ran the car like this for a few months but I wouldn't fit it to a 1.6 again.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this