• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest smokinslim

How To Identify Your Head?

Guest smokinslim

Are there any identifying numbers/marks on a TU head to distinguish it from others, or do you have to measure to valves to know exactly what you have?

I've suspected for a while now that the head i have isn't the original one for the engine, and through all the research i've done regarding current problems im having, im now even more sure of it and would like to find out for certain. The head may end up coming off soon anyway but im not gonna go there unless i really have to.

stu_woac

I think the samp is casted in it on the dizzy end may be mistaken tho

Guest smokinslim

Found these numbers cast on the front above the exhaust ports:

98 022 573 and 16 5 88.

I'm guessing the latter is the manufacture date, does the other mean anything to anyone?

RossD

I'm pretty sure all the carb'd TU heads are identical (apart from the 1.0). So, 1.1, 1.4 and the 85bhp 1.4 are the same. Its just things like the camshafts and carbs that are different.

Guest smokinslim

Don't the valve sizes differ too in some heads?

I'm trying to find out what size valves/which cam i have without having to take the head off if possible.

trogboy

I know at least two of the heads I have used have had 3S cast in them between a couple of the exhaust ports in big (50mm tall) letters. Both came off TU3S engines.

I too think that the 8V TU heads that came on the 205 all had the same size values with the exception of the TU9 (1lt) and TU24 heads.

Guest smokinslim
I too think that the 8V TU heads that came on the 205 all had the same size values with the exception of the TU9 (1lt) and TU24 heads.

According to Haynes this is true, with the exception of the TU3FM.

If my head isn't the original then it may have come from something other than a 205 though...

Edited by smokinslim

RossD

Actually, looking at the parts database, the TU3S head has a different part number to the normal 1.4 head... :) (I did always think they were the same)

How different the actual casting is, if it actually is any different at all would be interesting to know. Perhaps it is possible afterall to determine the TU3S head by the 3s cast into it. My old "normal" 1.4 engine doesnt have the 3S markings.

Rippthrough
Actually, looking at the parts database, the TU3S head has a different part number to the normal 1.4 head... :) (I did always think they were the same)

How different the actual casting is, if it actually is any different at all would be interesting to know. Perhaps it is possible afterall to determine the TU3S head by the 3s cast into it. My old "normal" 1.4 engine doesnt have the 3S markings.

It is different, the ports are a different shape and larger.

calvinhorse

does anyone know if the 1.6 heads are the same?

ie vtr, xsi, and the 306 blacktop

are all the manifolds interchangeable?

RossD

The TU5 heads all have the big valves and bigger cam bearings (i.e you cant fit a 205 cam to a TU5 head, it'll rattle around like a d*ck in a bucket :rolleyes: )

Mattsav

1600 heads can come with either cam bearing size, just to make life a difficult as possible!

RossD

LOL, Good old PSA!

calvinhorse

yeah i fitted a tu24 cam to a 1.6 blacktop 306 and it worked! (no cock shlop!)

hmmm now im thinking my tu24 cam wont fit an xsi :D ffs..

i'll second the "good ol PSA"

Sign in to follow this