• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rodionski

Cayenne Brakes On A 405mi16: Too Much?

rodionski

I have a good offer on stock Cayenne brakes - 6 pot front and 4 pot rear.

Is that too much as far as brakes are concerned?

The idea is to fit them to R17 rims.

I don't think it's necessary to list pro's so I will list cons:

- minimum R17 rims

- more expensive tires

- more expensive brake pads

- brackets must be made for fitting of calipers

- heavier setup due to larger calipers, pads and brake discs

- heavier rims and tires compared to R15

- longer gear ratios due to larger diameter of tires

- bigger master and hydraulic brake cylinders needed

- increased load on hub bearings due to thick spacers

- questionable whether such big brakes are needed for the power and weight of the car

Any comments are welcome and appreciated!

Erlend405Mi16x4

I think its overkill the cayenne weighs over 2.5 tonns empty, i think you will get a problem where you lock your wheels all the time and just ruins alot of tires.

AlexN

I've got Mercedes S600 Brembo GT brakes on the front of my car (or I will have once it is finished!). I also have a fully pedal bias box so I should be able to get a good balance between the front and rear. Also being non-servo assisted the pedal force will be quite high so it should still be pretty difficult to fully lock up the wheels.

The costs for me were reduced by getting the brackets and bells made pretty much for free, but I guess for a track based car you need to weigh up the pros and cons of doing the conversion. You should also remember the touring cars ran huge brakes, even bigger than my discs (355mm) so it all depends on set-up as to whether you get it to work or not.

Obviously once I have the car on the road I can report back in more detail as to how it goes!

rodionski

Yes Alex, I know that you have those huge brakes. That's another reason why I am pondering this conversion.

I don't know what type of cayenne brakes will show up - they differed from 350mm all the way to 380mm and consequently the minimum rims range from R17 to R19. I will not buy anything that will require R18 or more, simply not feasible.

I am also pondering a pedal box and maybe no servo (that part i am not sure yet).

AlexN

I have Team Dynamics Pro Race 1 17" rims and there is loads of room under them. I am not certain what size discs would fit but there is a good bit of clearance around the calliper, maybe 380mm would fit? I would have thought 18" rims would easily accommodate 380mm discs. With discs that size you will have some serious stopping power!

I didn't want to run anything bigger than 17" really as like you say anything much bigger needs some serious arch work and really isn't worth the hassle.

rodionski

Yes, completely agree! And even 17" will mean much higher tire budget, let alone 18".

B1ack_Mi16

The 15" PTS rims will take 310mm brakes, so decent 17" should possibly take 380mm ish brakes if the calipers ain't too large.

However, that said, I think you will find the 305x28mm brembo setup from the 406 very good if you get some good pads.

I'm running those brembo calipers with 283x26mm discs in my 205 track car, with Ferodo DS2500 pads, and the brakes are really impressive.

The 205 is of course only 850kg so a fair bit lighter, but the 305mm discs will give some extra leverage compared to the 283mm discs I'm using. I will be running this setup on the T16 too as the discs are cheap and I guess the pads ain't the worst priced either.

But of course it's more fun/spectacular with larger custom brakes :D

rodionski

Well, yes, but then I would be left to fiddle with the rear brakes as stock ones are naturally not balanced with brembos. they overheat and burn whereas the front ones are far from their limit.

Whereas the cayenne brakes work as a package with only the bias needed to be adjusted.

B1ack_Mi16

Sorry, 17" would take 350-360mm I mean.. :)

380 would be 18's of course.

B1ack_Mi16

Rear ones might work with uprated VAG brakes.

I found out that at least the pad-carrier from a Audi RS4 fitted bolt on the rear, meaning probably all Audi S4 versions also will fit.

Not sure if there are discs that will fit straight on, but worth a check.

rodionski

Yes, VAG calipers (at least from Golfs, Toledos etc.) are a straight fit.

The brake disks will anyway need to be converted to alloy bells, so not critical i imagine

Sign in to follow this