• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maturin23

Top End Noises At Tickover

maturin23

Hi all,

I've been getting an odd noise from what seems to be the top end of the engine. It's only really noticeable at tickover.

I didn't have chance to get an MP3 so I'll do my best to describe it :) - it's not really metallic enough to be described as a 'rattle', nor is it solid enough to call it a 'knock' - somewhere in between, a bit like a bunch of pigeons going ko-ko-ko quite quickly :D

Does that make the remotest sense to anybody apart from me? :)

Anthony

Lazy hydraulic tappet?

Tom Fenton

I once had a metallic noise coming from the top end of my Mi16 205. I started taking it to pieces to investigate and found the inlet camshaft pulley securing bolt was working its way out :)

Luckily the engine was fitted with a cambelt cover so this was impeding its progress, or I dread to think what would have happened!

maturin23

Thanks so far, chaps.

Obviously I'll need to get the rocker cover off and have a butcher's, would a lazy tappet be obvious?

SeanO'Connor
Thanks so far, chaps.

Obviously I'll need to get the rocker cover off and have a butcher's, would a lazy tappet be obvious?

Might sound a bit to obvious, but are you sure it's not just your injectors?

Miles

Cam wear, I;ve seen quite a few worn cam's these days

maxi

First thing I would do is check your throttle body. The screws that hold the butterflies in place often work loose and get inducted into the engine. The odd noise you hear (which from what you describe sounds just like it) could be a screw being embedded into your piston. Take the AFM to TB pipe off and check all four screws are where they should be, 2 securing each butterfly.

Maxi

VisaGTi16v

I had that exact issue but somehow the screw stayed in the inlet manifold and I managed to get it out!

(heh you commented on that thread!)

Edited by VisaGTi16v

maturin23

Ouch - I'll deffo check that out, Maxi.

It's not the injectors.

Part of me is hoping that this is the excuse I need for a rebuild or a newer GTI6 engine :rolleyes:

Will post next week when I get a chance to get under the bonnet.

maxi
Ouch - I'll deffo check that out, Maxi.

It's not the injectors.

Part of me is hoping that this is the excuse I need for a rebuild or a newer GTI6 engine :rolleyes:

Will post next week when I get a chance to get under the bonnet.

Stay Mi mate, GTi6's are wank in comparison for grin factor. Trust me you will miss the mi! Also, dont be tempted to even start the car before you check it out, you could avoid a lot more damadge.

Maxi

Sign in to follow this