Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Blocking Distributor Hole

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

neil88

neil88
  • Passengers
  • 24 posts
hi I know some one on here can help

I'm fitting a engine management and replacing the distributor with a coil pack so want to block off the distributor, what is used to block the distributor hole off and fit the coil pack on were the distributor was.
I've done a search and can't find anything.

Also is there a set of ignition leads that would fit on or will i have to get some leads made up?

Edited by neil88, 19 December 2008 - 02:30 PM.

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage
Is this an 8v XU engine do I assume?

If so, there's a complete thermostat housing designed for coilpacks that will fit and includes the mount to bolt the Bosch coilpack to, assuming it's the usual 106/306/405 style one that you have. Any 1.8 or 2.0 8v XU engine should have the thermostat housing that you need.

As for leads, again, assuming it's a Bosch coilpack from a 106/306/405 and it's an 8v engine, a set of 1.8 8v leads will be perfect.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,760 posts
I'm also doing this, I don't know if it applies to all the GTI thermostat housings but certainly the one I have from a later 1600 engine has all the mounts there and tapped for the coilpack, whilst it would have been fitted with a dizzy. I've had an alloy blank turned up which I will TIG weld in, but the type of thermostat housing without the hole bored out is probably an easier solution!

pug_ham

pug_ham
  • Team Managers
  • 18,423 posts
  • Name:Graham
Garage View Garage
I'd do as Anthony suggests, I've got this style on my GTi with MP3.1 & I've supplied a few people on here with them taken off other PSA group cars I sourced from scrapyards.(usually for under 10 iirc & sometimes with a coilpack)

Tom, I think most of the thermostat housings for the XU engine with a distributer made post 90-91 have the drillings for the coilpack mounting.

Posted Image

Graham.

Doc-Evil

Doc-Evil
  • Passengers
  • 16 posts
Thats answered one of my questions - thanks :lol:

neil88

neil88
  • Passengers
  • 24 posts
yes its the 8v xu engine.