• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Las

Test Run Of My New Car

Las

Hi

I made a test run with my Gtech unit to see how much power it had left, the strech of road used wasn't ideal but it will have to do.

I set the weight to 1200kg and calibrated the unit as it hasn't been used in years. I made 5-6 runs, some to test Hp and some to test 0-100.

The best Hp/torque reading was 118Hp at 6800-6900rpm and 90 nm at 5500rpm. 0-100 was made on 9.17sec with lots of wheelspin on start.

The rear mufler was colapsed inside, a piece of pipe inside was broken of and just tumbling around inside, so I decided to fabricate a new backbox using a Simons 620mmx100mm stainless mufler.

My god it's loud, looks like I'll have to fit a larger centre silencer to try and tone it down a notch!

The air filter is also pretty dirty so I am ordering a K&N cone kit, that should do the trick - and add even more sound :blink:

The HP reading was lower than I thought but then again you can't compare the Gtech unit with a rolling road and now I have a starting point - ground zero.

If I hadn't made to much wheelspin on start and had a few more training runs I'm sure I would have it well under 9 sec!

What I would like to know is where it's supposed to hit max. torque, I think 5500 is a bit high?

Regards

Las

Yes it is at the wheels, measured in 2. gear so the wind resistance isn't to big. But you still have rolling resistance of 4 wheels compared to 2 on a rolling road and wind!

Las

Well I just made a run with the very loud exhaust and it seems that there's a bit more torque at slightly lower revs and the curve is a bit smoother.

Actually the first run showed 126nm at 5500 and not 90nm as I wrote, the new run show 128nm at 5200 revs. All other runs had the max torque in the 5500 range.

It also appears to have moved the power up a bit from slightly lower revs here to.

Now I just waiting for the new "heavy 2,5"" centre silencer and the K&N kit.

Las

The big centre silencer is now mounted and its all stainless steel now. I wrapped the exhaust tube with powerwrap from the centre silencer to the backbox in an attempt to silence the system further, all in all it has helped a lot but I'm not quite home yet.

I will have to fabricate a little flange to go between the rear box and the rest of the exhaust with some sort of restriction on it, to lower the exhaust speed a little.

Still waiting for the K&N to arrive and then I will give it another run.

The fuel filter looks very old to along with the fuel lines, so I quess it has to go to.

Anybody know what fuel pressure is supposed to be on a stock MI16?

I thought of buying an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and raising fuel pressure just a little bit once the K&N filter is in place

Las

The big centre silencer is mounted and it does make a difference, but not enough. It's still way to loud.. Makes your head hurt after 5-10 min.

I have a crazy idea to make an insert that goes in between the flanges I've made before the last muffler, with 4 or 5 guide vanes that will spin the air therefor increasing surface time in the last mufler and increasing resistance up to that point slowing gasses down, giving the system more time to dampen the sound, does this sound nuts?

The K&N filter is also in place and looking good.

I tried to make a new measurement doing a strech of road both ways but came up with very different results, in average the numbers shown was 118Hp and 131,3Nm at 5300rpm. But it was a strange run, there was a big flat spot from 3300-4300, and then one from 5600-6100rpm going from 125nm to 115nm and then back to 125nm. These data are from the second run and it was in that run I really felt those flats.

I'm wondering what caused it, faulty ignition or running lean because the fuel filter is dirty and the K&N is more free flowing?

Las

weel I just hooked an external fuel pressure gauge to the car and it only showed 0,25bar idling, allthough idle is a bit on the high side - 1200rpm. As far as I can tell from the Haynes book the system in my car is the motronic ML4.1 and should be about 3bar +- 0.2bar.

By bending the return line it was easy to raise pressure to 3 bar, even 5-6 bar! Pump is allright then I suppose.

So thats way off, I'll have to order one of those adjustable regulators with a gauge and then maybe some of the horses will be back home...

Las

Hmmm of course my measurement were off, connected it to the wrong side of the regulator..... Tried it again and it now shows 2.6bar at 1100rpm, and when I disconnect the vacumpipe to the regulator it climps to 3bar - I still wish to raise a bit though, 2,6 is still on the low side.

imaS

The pressure is not too low. Raising it will be useless. Regulator tries to keep steady 3bar pressure differential between intake and fuel line pressures. So at idle fuel line pressure will be under 3bar, only at full throttle (or vacuumpipe removed) it is ~3bars.

Las

But according to the Haynes manual it's supposed to be 3bar at idle, and with the K&N filter + other changes there is a chance that you could gain a bit with a moderate increase

Sign in to follow this