Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What Parts For A V6 Conversion?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

omega

omega
  • Drivers
  • 1,388 posts

might be getting my hands on a mot fail 406 v6 its a 1998 so I think its the early engine and its got a manual box.can I use this box or is it to big?

as well as engine,shafts,fuel pump,ecu is there anything else I should take off.

cheers

allye

allye
  • Pitcrew+
  • 3,716 posts
  • Name:Ali Williams
Garage View Garage

starting with a GTI? if so your fuel pump will be fine as long as its healthy. Gearbox wise you have to use the ML5T fitted, its a big, heavy and strong box and reduces steering lock on a similar level to a GTI6 box in a 205. you need custom shortened drive shafts, Goliath on here can do those for you. In a 205 the 406 rad is too large some look into the VW VR6 route. Subframe needs chopping and then reunforcing else where. exhaust is obviously custom, you cannot realistically run a lowered 205 with the V6 downpipe.

Well worh it! 

dcc

dcc
  • Drivers+
  • 3,141 posts
  • Name:Dan
Ecu, loom, downpipe, shafts, brakes (if 4pots), gearbox, clutch, engine. Rest is scrap, which is about £10/t

Goliath

Goliath
  • Drivers+
  • 1,302 posts
  • Name:G

I can't offer driveshafts anymore I'm afraid as I've sold my Lathe. As said above, you will need to use a mk3 golf VR6 Radiator (with slimline fans), it fit's well and is fine for cooling. You need to use the gearshift box and cables from the 406, again fits easily. You will want to convert your clutch to hydraulic using a 206 clutch master cylinder and a clutch slave cylinder from a 406 V6 (D9 - the later one as it has a bleed nipple)

You will need a custom top mount, gearbox mount will fit as is and the lower engine mount will need modifying but that is done at the same time as modifying the subframe.

Ade_4wd (Adrian Emery) on here can unlock the ECU for you, it will need unlocking and it's not a simple unlock like the GTI6, but Adrian is very reasonable and quick.

omega

omega
  • Drivers
  • 1,388 posts

what model 206 for the master cylinder or dosnt it matter?

allye

allye
  • Pitcrew+
  • 3,716 posts
  • Name:Ali Williams
Garage View Garage

i used a 206 gti one. Basically after a master cylinder with bolt holes, not the screw in type.

Goliath

Goliath
  • Drivers+
  • 1,302 posts
  • Name:G

It should look like this: http://www.ebay.co.u...SAAAOSw-ndTn2~N

omega

omega
  • Drivers
  • 1,388 posts

thanks alley and Goliath.