Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ew10 Breather Setup - Catch Tank Over Fill Issue?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Schumi

Schumi
  • Drivers
  • 86 posts
  • Name:Suayb Tozmaz

This is the my shortened and baffled sump. Its for vertical upright mounting. I will use with OEM windage tray. Maybe I will add short lip for front of sump for braking G force.

Attached File  20170225_145007.jpg   137.04KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20170225_145240.jpg   168.44KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20170225_190002.jpg   212.85KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20170225_190017.jpg   62.73KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20161112_143011.jpg   70.49KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20161112_143025.jpg   182.08KB   0 downloads

speaksgeek

speaksgeek
  • Passengers
  • 16 posts
  • Name:Angus

I have just removed my intake manifold in preparation for Jenvey ITB's. I notice that there are two holes (breathers?) in the side of the head that feed into the stock separator via ports in the intake manifold.

I haven't received my new manifold yet, but from the jenvey schematic, it looks like those will be blocked by the new manifold.

Do I need to think about these? Will blocking them off make any problem?

It looks to me now, that the only breather I will be able to hook up to is at the top, at the end of the intake cam cover area.

drmo

drmo
  • Drivers
  • 150 posts

you will see if the the on the side of the head (cam ladder) will provide enough engine breathing. Some say that it is enough, but I have different experience.

Could you measure up the Jenvey manifold entry holes (head side) when you get it? An a couple of photos would be really nice.

speaksgeek

speaksgeek
  • Passengers
  • 16 posts
  • Name:Angus

you will see if the the on the side of the head (cam ladder) will provide enough engine breathing. Some say that it is enough, but I have different experience.

Could you measure up the Jenvey manifold entry holes (head side) when you get it? An a couple of photos would be really nice.

I've received my Jenvey's. Pretty nice looking kit to my eye.

You can see a schematic here for the manifold. I have the 48mm version, so the body side I measure at 48mm (with crap ~0.3mm accurate calipers), the head side is as shown 23.7x47.6 oval.

For interest sake, I have measured the body mounting holes at 65mm diagonal spacing across the centre line of the body.

I have made my own diagram to use for cutting the airbox backplate.

I'm having issues with uploading photos. Maybe my browser. In the meantime, my pdf and some pics are here

gingieboi

gingieboi
  • Passengers
  • 7 posts
  • Name:Josh
Garage View Garage
I have also had this problem after fitting throttle bodies to my j4s. It's still running vvt. When held at high rpm the catch tank filled and pumped several litres of oil out. At the time I only had the breather from the end of the inlet cam to a tee down to the sump and up to the catch tank, I then opened the blanked hole on the top of the exhaust cam cover and sent that to the catch tank as well which improved it slightly but not much. The next thing I tried was to drill holes in my new inlet manifold to open up the original holes between the ports, I sent these down to a separate tank I made which I mounted under the inlet with the a pipe in the bottom going back to the sump, also I put a pipe from the top of it up to my breather catch tank.
This seemed to fix the problem until I got back to service after a stage and found the catch tank full again. The problem is definitely a lot better as if I had done that before I wouldn't have even made it to the end of the stage before it pumped all the oil out the engine, what I plan to do next is increase the diameter of all the breather pipes and add a drain from the bottom of the catch tank back to the sump but unfortunately I'm not going to know if it's worked until the next time I rally it because it isn't doing it until it's worked very hard which I can't re-create on the road.

Edited by gingieboi, 09 May 2017 - 05:49 AM.

dcc

dcc
  • Drivers+
  • 3,141 posts
  • Name:Dan
A friend of mine has decided to add an extra oil drain to sump, 1.75" pipe direct to sump. Has had union welded to the head