• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RonnieG

Tran X Vs Quaife Lsd - Which One Into Which 205 ?

Henry 1.9GTi

tran-x it is.

Any recomendation on ramp angles and preload settings for a car thats not that stiff (bilstein sprints and 25mm rear arb (cheap and cheerful option ;) )

Quite a bit of road use, say 5k a year and no PAS for parking :) and hopefully more than 2 trackdays next year! grr

Cheers.

Henry.

Miles

If anyones intrested in a TranX group buy of 5 people min I'll get on the case

philfingers

yes. 45/45 ramp angles and 25/30lb setting. Anymore and your asking for it on tarmac. On the tighter settings it won't turn in at normal (even slow) speeds. throttle off on a wet roundabout and it will just slide to the outside.

Mt old 309 has PAS, the 205 doesn't and it's getting it now (along with an MI) as for road rallying it's nightmare. Catch a wheel on the mud with one arm on the wheel and it will wrench it out of your hand and you're in the ditch. For track use with both hands on the wheel you'd be ok. Be careful on the road tho!The tighter gravel setting is better suited to gravel when the car is constantly sliding, you can't really do that on a track or on the road. I learnt from experience when I went tighter on the setting and it slides off the road on no throttle!

luggy

:)

How much Miles with new bearings delivered UK mainland?

RonnieG

For mostly tarmac road/track use, especially without PAS, I would also try the lightest setting (45/45 ramp angles and 25/30lb preload) first as Philfingers has covered above - That’s the setting I'm currently using on my non PAS Mi16'd track only 205. It works really well with good turn in, great steering feel and amazing levels of grip with my A048's both in the wet & especially the dry.

That is another great thing about the Tran-x's is just how versatile they are with their 4 different settings for the plate configuration & pre-load. This enables you to vary the amount of pressure that is applied to the plates before any 'slip' can occur. Probably slightly easier first time out if you have the set-up instructions but providing you take your time to note what goes where and keep all the parts meticulously clean and covered in gear oil when rebuilding I think they are well worth dismantling to check over, set-up to suit your own needs and see how they work - Like a lot of things very simple but very effective. ( If anyone ever needs any diagrams or instructions PM me…)

I have set my other Tran-X diff that’s in my purely off road 205 Gti to the stiffest setting which is ideal to almost 'lock' the axles in the loose stuff but on the tarmac even at car park speeds it takes a real bit of effort to keep the car turning around as the Tran-X 'fights back' trying hard to prevent any slip and keep both front wheels going at the same speed. When you start to put the power down the difference in steering effort required between the lightest & stiffest setting is huge.

Both my Tran-X's do 'clunk' a bit though when going round tight corners when most 'slippage' is occuring, especially the one on the stiffest setting, but for me it's a small price to pay - Almost adds to the character and you know they're there….

Edited by RonnieG

Miles

I will find out early next week, I;ve only just sat down I'm that busy at the moment.

Henry 1.9GTi

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll start off with the lighter settings and might change it later down the line when the car is more track bias.

Depending on price and how Mr Barclays is feeling I'm in as well.

Edited by Henry 1.9GTi

CaptainK

Awww... I might be interested too. :blink:

casnell

I might be interested if you'll post to Australia...

Baz

I'm in for the fifth!! ;)

tim_gti

Know this was only for 5 but could be interested in one if the price was right.

Cheers Tim

VisaGTi16v

Nice price on the bearings, cost me double that from Peugeot when fitting my quaife! The grinding of the box is simple as its presumably the same bit of ribbing that got in the way with my quaife (although never heard of others having the issue with quaifes!), 1 minute with a tiny dremel tool and sorted (plus it saved at least 3 grams of weight lol)

Sign in to follow this