• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tim_gti

Carbs, Is The Engine Loom Now Redundant?

tim_gti

I'm about half way throught my R1 carbs conversion on my 1.9 GTi. The question i have is,

How much of the loom can be removed from the engine bay now. I know i have to keep all the wires for gauges, lights, power, but all the injection parts and the ECU can now be removed, right?

Another question i have is where should i start with the jetting. The car will be going oiff to get setup on a rolling road but where would be a good starting point size wise. Is a 1.9 gti with a kent pt27 cam and the bike carbs.

Any help welcome,

Cheers Tim

jonnie205

all wires going to ecu can be removed, the gauge loom you will need to keep as well as the coil and dizzy wiring etc unless your running an ignition ecu

unariciflocos

I'm going to be running GSXR 1100 carbs and a PT23 on my 1.9 rallye with 11.1 CR.

I'm thinking of drilling my jets to 1.75 mm. I'm almost sure I will have to go higher but I'll see how it runs. I don't have access to a rolling road, so I will just be tuning the carbs on vacuum meters.

Will be starting assembly of my engine this weekend. Keep me posted on your progress. Haven't got the vacuum tank ready for the brakes and advance so I don't think I'll get to run it this weekend.

MrG

Tim

what I did was disconnect the ECU and removed that, but left the wiring in place as I was unsure of what I was exactly removing, so the plugs that fit onto the injectors under the bonnet were bagged and tagged and tucked out of the way! Maybe a bit of a cop out but this way it could be put back to std if need be (which it won't but there you go)

Andrew

Edited by MrG

welshpug

one problem you'll encounter is the lack of a limiter.

mattbenselin

I'm doing the same thing at the moment and will be getting an Omex or similar rev limiter without a doubt. I have heard a too many stories of people's beloved engines destroying themselves due to over-revving. Also there is the risk of the something catching like the throttle cable or butterflies and you not being able to close them leading to over-revving. I know this because it happened to a friend and he had to say bye bye to his engine. Definitely worth the outlay.

Matt

Sign in to follow this