• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bensonmi

Lowering Rad Mi16

bensonmi

what is the best thing to do with the rad in my mi16? i cant find a link but im sure theres loads on her. iv heard of lowering it,how do you do that and how low do you take it? how is it attached? but also been told not to because it doesnt get the same benefit from the fan,and is likely to get damaged being closer to the road as the roads up my way are far from smooth! also heard about tiltin the rad how is this done? which method is most recomended?

DrSarty

There is shed loads on here if you try searching. It's been done so many times it's painful. Try "rad+lower" in search.

In summary, go to a DIY place and buy the pre-drilled, meccano-like bracketry including angles they sell, and make something up, attaching the brackets to the front metal panels to the inside of the head lights.

If the fan & cowling moves with the rad, how can it be less effective?

Otherwise, mount a slimline, aftermarket fan either to the inner face of the rad (best - as a 'pull' type fan) or outside/front as a 'push' fan.

Done job.

M@tt

you dont need to lower the rad, you just need to trim the rad cowling down so that the rad is able to tilt forward slightly at the top giving you more clearance. Do a search as there are pics posted up somehwere of what it looks like chopped down.

you just need to cable tie the rad to the cowling at the top as you'll remove the standard spring/clips that secure the rad to the cowling. 30 mins with an angle grinder and you're sorted

DrSarty
you dont need to lower the rad, you just need to trim the rad cowling down so that the rad is able to tilt forward slightly at the top giving you more clearance. Do a search as there are pics posted up somehwere of what it looks like chopped down.

you just need to cable tie the rad to the cowling at the top as you'll remove the standard spring/clips that secure the rad to the cowling. 30 mins with an angle grinder and you're sorted

100% true, but I thought BensonMi wanted specifically to lower the rad. My bad.

If you decide not to lower it, then just angle grind the cowling and tilt it, although don't expect anymore than 5mm clearance from the plenum.

Stu

I angled my rad forward, cut a bit of the cowling away then fitted some spacers between the cowling and the slam panel to get a bit more clearance.

All is well.. *touches wood* :rolleyes:

M@tt

sorry DrS you beat me to pressing send so mine wasn't directed at you :rolleyes:

if you do want to drop the rad then follow DrS's helpful advice although as i mentioned you don't necessarily have to lower it for the Mi conversion, you can get a way with tilting the rad via trimming down the cowling. I had about 10mm gap between the rad and the inlet manifold but with a firmer bottom mount the engine doesn't rock as much under accelereation/deceleration so its not a problem.

HTH

Edited by M@tt

bensonmi

thanks for your replys sorry not havin much luck on the search's im new to this and useless wiv computers!! :rolleyes:

i think il have a go at the tilting,how far back do i need to chop back or is it just a case of trial and error?as regards to using the spacers for the extra clearence would that also push my grill out further? just thinkin out loud here

nick

I lowered my rad with a couple of brackets bolted onto the cowling as the secondary bonnet catch can sometimes hit the top of the rad when it's tilted.

Have a search for my topic "Mi conversion finished.." there are some pictures of it in that thread.

Nick

bensonmi

very usefull thanks, do u get problems with the fan clippin the rad like that tho?

jackherer
very usefull thanks, do u get problems with the fan clippin the rad like that tho?

No, there must be thousands cut up just like that these days, its a very familiar sight.

welshpug

that's odd, are there any problems with the gti6 engine?

As I didn't have to do anything like this for an S16 running a gti6 inlet, only to trim the slam panel at the end of the manifold.

Sign in to follow this