• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
supersub14

Lumpy At Low Revs

supersub14

Im guessing this is common peugeot problem but if im stuck in traffic and driving along in 1st gear with hardly any revs the car runs like a kangeroo. Jumps forward instead of driving along smoothly.

Is there anything i can do to fix it? Sorry if ive missed a thread on the problem.

scoop
Im guessing this is common peugeot problem but if im stuck in traffic and driving along in 1st gear with hardly any revs the car runs like a kangeroo. Jumps forward instead of driving along smoothly.

Is there anything i can do to fix it? Sorry if ive missed a thread on the problem.

check that the spark plugs are connected to the wires properly, there must be a spark skip that's happening to ur car right now so go and check the spark plug wires are all connected

supersub14

Cheers, checked and their all fine.

Its not a problem when im driving down the motorway. Just seems to be that when the car has very low revs and im following slow moving traffic in first gear that i need a lot of clutch + throttle action to keep the ride smoothish.

I also noticed the other day that when the car was ticking over in my garage with the airbox removed up to the afm (afm was still connected to manifold) that the car would rev up itself, then drop the revs, then rev up, then drop, etc etc

Is some sort of sensor maybe on its way out?

scoop
Cheers, checked and their all fine.

Its not a problem when im driving down the motorway. Just seems to be that when the car has very low revs and im following slow moving traffic in first gear that i need a lot of clutch + throttle action to keep the ride smoothish.

I also noticed the other day that when the car was ticking over in my garage with the airbox removed up to the afm (afm was still connected to manifold) that the car would rev up itself, then drop the revs, then rev up, then drop, etc etc

Is some sort of sensor maybe on its way out?

is ur engine the xu10j2c?? if yes then that would be an unplugged cable beneath the black box of the injectors.

supersub14

its the 2.0 Mi16 version

JeffR

I had a similar thing with my 1.9 Mi. Turned out to be a crack in the coil pack body & was earthing intermittently producing the lumpiness.

Try running the engine at night with the bonnet up & look for any stray sparks!

rodionski
I had a similar thing with my 1.9 Mi. Turned out to be a crack in the coil pack body & was earthing intermittently producing the lumpiness.

Try running the engine at night with the bonnet up & look for any stray sparks!

Agree to that.

However there could be a number of other reasons for such behavoiur of the car, including worn engine/gearbox mounts, worn clutch, or even just going up or down hill when the angle is not noticeable.

I think this would be a common issue for many Mi16 and other 'sporty' cars which are basically not made to behave nicely at low revs. I often have to operate the clutch in that special gentle way to roll in 1 and 2 gear on idle engine without using the throttle. Got used to that.

cammmy

I get this too, easing on a small amount of extra throttle or brakes will smooth it out.

I think it's just the way the cars are.

supersub14

hmmm... it must be. Its so fustrating tho as i have to sit in traffic queues everyday.

I had it in the garage last night and had her ideling. Sat nicely at approx 1000rpm. With the slightest touch of the throttle she jumped up to and above 2000rpm. Just seems to be really hard to find that bite point between 1000 and 2000rpm. Pedal seems to be ultra sensitive at low revs if you know what i mean.

If i try hard enough i can get her to idle in the 1000-2000 range. But i noticed that if i hold the throttle open at 1500rpm (for example) and dont move my foot, the revs hunt up and down from say 1400-1600rpm (maybe even more).

Obviously this problem doent bother me while im cruising down the motorway, but if i could sort out some way of getting more control of the lower revs it would be a far nicer car to drive.

Any other ideas or should i just live with it?? :huh:

--> @ rodionski

Its not the worn engine/gearbox mounts, worn clutch, or even just going up or down hill when the angle is not noticeable, as when the car is sitting still in my garage the problem is still there. Cheers anyway lad ;)

JeffR

Does the 2.0 litre throttle body butterfly shaft wear like the 1.9's? This could account for the erratic idle.

cammmy
If i try hard enough i can get her to idle in the 1000-2000 range. But i noticed that if i hold the throttle open at 1500rpm (for example) and dont move my foot, the revs hunt up and down from say 1400-1600rpm (maybe even more).

I don't have that issue. Tried cleaning the idler valve/TB?

Also, should it not idle at about 750 to 850 not 1000? Is your throttle cable a bit tight? That could explain why the revs jump even with a very small amount.

Edited by cammmy

Sign in to follow this