• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

B1ack_Mi16

[car_restoration] 405 T16 Restoration

B1ack_Mi16

Intercooler and radiator arrived today.

Now I just hope I'll be able to fit it somehow. The IC is on the possible size limit without cutting a lot in the front of the car I think.

IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0326.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Today I started chopping even more in the fan-cowling that Ronny already had molested when he had the car :)

It seem it somehow will be possible to fit this intercooler.

It is just a cheap ebay item, but there is avaliable other brands (with thicker cores) that are proven to be really good. It seem to me I might be able to fit a thicker one.

It just depends a bit on how much to the front I can mount it, as I suspect oil filter might get into conflich with radiator if it all has to come too far rear.

I think I will just use this cheap one to begin with, only running standard turbo also in the beginning, so I guess it will be adequate for that anyway at this size.

IMAG0487-1.jpg

IMAG0486.jpg

IMAG0485.jpg

IMAG0483.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Small update, used the evening to put an old block into the bay with my spare T16 gearbox.

Will probably add head with manifold and turbo also just to see where things will go etc.

Seem to be ok space for the radiator, but probably need to add servo pump and alternator to see if there are clearance issues.

IMAG0572.jpg

JeffR

What type is the gearbox mount? Haven't seen one like that before. Is that standard T16?

BTW- mammoth project! Keep the pics coming.

B1ack_Mi16

The gearbox mount consists of the bracket (cast iron) bolted to the chassi leg, and the rubber mount part.

The cast iron bracket is used only on T16 and on Phase 2 1.9 TD cars.

While the 1.9 TD has a more normal rubber mount, the one on the T16 is quite much larger as you can see.

I think this is due to it having a ME5 gearbox and not a BE3.

I'll keep the pics coming, but I'm starting to catch up with the real progress now, so soon it's more or less on stand-still :)

welshpug

406 uses a mount(bush) like that, and IIRC the 2.0 mi uses the same cast bracket.

I believe that the issues with the 6 speed BE box fitting is due to people not realising the stud sits in a different position...

any reason for such a massive intercooler? a friends 2.3 T5 V70 has one well under half that (maybe a third!) size and doesn't have IAT issues :unsure:

B1ack_Mi16
406 uses a mount(bush) like that, and IIRC the 2.0 mi uses the same cast bracket.

I believe that the issues with the 6 speed BE box fitting is due to people not realising the stud sits in a different position...

any reason for such a massive intercooler? a friends 2.3 T5 V70 has one well under half that (maybe a third!) size and doesn't have IAT issues :unsure:

Yes now I remember, the 2.0 Mi16 also has the cast bracket indeed :)

About the IC I just bought the largest one I found on eBay that I could imagine that would fit. And it seem to fit quite ok, so why not :)

I'm hoping it will be enough to run about 500bhp at a later stage.. It might even be to small, as it is only 50mm thick.

For the standard turbo that I will be running to begin with I believe it is overkill though.

welshpug

evo drivetrain then? :lol:

B1ack_Mi16
evo drivetrain then? :lol:

Hehe, no was hoping to use std. T16 with modified transferbox internals.

I guess I have bought uprated parts from ATD for about 4500 euros by now. :huh:

They apparently use it quite hard with 4-500bhp setups without problems.

KRISKARRERA
I'm hoping it will be enough to run about 500bhp at a later stage..
I wish you were in the UK, I want you to race my friend in his 200SX that I'm always talking about on Facebook :lol:

B1ack_Mi16

Hehe Kris. I might actually go for a UK trip when the car is finished. Sadly I'll just use it with standard turbo in the beginning, so not much power to start with.

Pugfest 2013 maybe :)

I'm hoping it will be enough to run about 500bhp at a later stage..
I wish you were in the UK, I want you to race my friend in his 200SX that I'm always talking about on Facebook :lol:

B1ack_Mi16

Have cut out the front beam now and started constructing a new one.

IMAG0592.jpg

IMAG0595.jpg

Got some more space for the intercooler now :)

IMAG0589.jpg

IMAG0591.jpg

I noticed I could have done it a little bit better, so might chop it up again and weld it further forward to gain some extra clearance to the IC pipes.

B1ack_Mi16

Hi Again.

Been working on the clutch hydrulics today and made a bracket for the slave cylinder.

Can someone take a look at the movie and tell me whether it is enough stroke to fully decouple the clutch? I guess some of you have experience of this :)

Engine and box i mounted without flywheel and such so I can't get it tested myself.

th_VIDEO0031.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Today I made up some brackets for the radiator, brackets for the IC I made a few days ago.

Everything seem to fit quite nicely, even got 1cm clearance between cooling fans and the IC, and approx 4-5cm between radiator and orginal GTi6 inlet manifold.

IMAG0618.jpg

IMAG0614.jpg

IMAG0615.jpg

From the other day I also noticed I had to modify the bonnet lock a bit as It was fouling the IC. Bent the release arm a bit so now I just about fits :)

IMAG0606.jpg

Here's the lower IC brackets. I still need to add some horisontal support brackets for both the IC and the radiator, but that will at least for the IC include aluminium welding, so gotta get some help with that.

IMAG0605.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Got some aluminium piping and silicon hoses in the mail the other day.

Started to mock-up a bit routing, I think it'll be tight with two 3" pipes coming up from under the radiator, but quite sure it will be doable.

Just ordered some more parts as I need some straigt piping and tighter bends.

IMAG0635.jpg

IMAG0638.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Some more progress on the intercooler piping.

Have started some more plumbing work, but still not 100% there.

Ideally I need a 30 degree 3" silicon elbow at one of the lower connections, and a 75 degree silicone elbow from the IC outlet that goes to the inlet manifold.

But it doesn't seem to be easily avaliable with 30 or 75 degree elbows...

Need to do some more investigation on that subject.

IMAG0672.jpg

IMAG0674.jpg

IMAG0673.jpg

IMAG0671.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Today I have finally painted the first coat of white in the rear wheel arches and inside the boot. When it has dried I will apply seam sealer, and then add a second layer of paint.

I might also add some stonechip after that, but not decided on that yet.

IMAG0695.jpg

IMAG0694.jpg

IMAG0693.jpg

IMAG0692.jpg

I also finished welding the new front member where the IC is mounted.

Coated it with owatrol oil to keep the rust away. Might have to weld on a central bracket for a middle bolt to the front bumper, can't remember if there is supposed to be one or not.

IMAG0691.jpg

Also recieved a brand new lock set which I found on eBay.

IMAG0696.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Today I continued with the slave cylinder bracket.

I finally recieved some aluminium hex-bars i bought on eBay, and already got the M16 thread die and taps.

Plan is to use one the threaded blanking plug hole in the gearbox to bolt the bracket to it.

IMAG0699.jpg

Turned the bracket in the lathe, just need to make M8 threads in the center now.

IMAG0700.jpg

Fitted like a charm.

IMAG0701.jpg

Hopefully with this extra mounting point the clutch cylinder bracket will not have any problems with flexing.

B1ack_Mi16

Got more silicone bends and air-filter from eBay again now.

IMAG0705.jpg

Air filter fits ok.

I also bought some mild-steel exhaust piping, 30 degree bend and some straight. Constructed the lower boost-pipe using this.

It seem to fit just fine, so I need to buy the same pipes again, but in stainless and make it properly :)

IMAG0706.jpg

Now I'm just missing a pipe between TB and IC.

I also started to think that I need to install a blow out valve somewhere in the system. Anyone got a recommended BOW which does not cost too much?

B1ack_Mi16

True enough, maybe I'll jusy get a Bosch recirk one, I guess it is not a problem to leave the recirc ones open anyway if I can't be bothered by plumbing it back in to the air filter.

Bought a 45 degree 3" exhaust bend today, it seem to fit between the IC and the throttle body, so guess I need to get a stainless of that one also.

Then it seem like the IC pressure system is done, just some Tig welding needed.

IMAG0709.jpg

Tight, but it is clearance at least :)

IMAG0710.jpg

Radiator position more or less how it need to be to clear the IC pipes. Close to inlet, but sholdn't be problematic at all.

IMAG0708.jpg

Almost forgot to check if there was any clearance left for the slave cylinder, but even that seem to be ok enough :)

'

IMAG0712.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Today I was at the post office and pickud up two parcels :)

A big thanks to Charles for the first one :D

It looks top notch.

IMAG0721.jpg

Also recieved a fuel surge tank whick I'll try to mount begind the right headlamp :)

IMAG0718.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Made some brackets to fit the expansion tank today. The expansion tank I took from a 605 2.1 TD that I used as engine donor for my daily driver 405.

Bonus is that is has the level-sensor built-in.

IMAG0747.jpg

IMAG0745.jpg

Also turned a piece of aluminium. Need to weld it to the radiator, but will wait a bit till the positions are more definite because the hose will be quite close to the auxilary belt.

IMAG0748.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Seem like it will fit, goody :)

IMAG0773.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Hm. Today I recieved the oil-cooler kit.

I have problems finding a good place to mount the cooler.

The only place that is really an option this far is as shown below in the picture. But I'm a bit sceptical to place it in front of IC due to the heat.

Any thought / experiences out there?

IMAG0776.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Think I sorted it out today.

Will put it behind bumper to one side.

The bumper need slightly modification to enable to have the cooler there, but as long as I modify it the same on both sides I believe it will be ok enough and don't look very unorginal.

IMAG0779.jpg

IMAG0781.jpg

Also finished with the radiator mounting brackets today, just need to get hold of one more rubber-part, out of stock at the place I buy them.. but everything else sorted :)

IMAG0783.jpg

IMAG0784.jpg