• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AlexN

[project] 405 Mi16 Drift/track Car

AlexN

I thought I would post a few pics of rear suspension cylinders and what they look like fully stripped down as I guess most people on here won't have seen them before.

Here are all the components side by side.

2541200658_dfd35a55c5_b.jpg

The inlet has a flow restrictor (below) in it I guess to regulate the pressure of liquid entering the chamber. In the manual I downloaded it shows this pressed into the end cap (middle of the picture above), although when I stripped it down this was just loose. Does anyone know for certain how it should be mounted?

2541204444_3a0e077fbe.jpg

imaS

I started to rebuild my another rear axle, could you tell tightening torques for rear differential and rear axle bolts? Or send copy of that manual?

If I remember correct that end cap was held by seger ring.

AlexN
I started to rebuild my another rear axle, could you tell tightening torques for rear differential and rear axle bolts? Or send copy of that manual?

If I remember correct that end cap was held by seger ring.

Yeah sorry I've not sent it to you yet, the problem is that I do not have a copy of it with me at the moment! It is on my parents computer in Cornwall (I stupidly forgot to burn it to cd and bring it back with me!).

I will get it sorted next time I am down (a couple of weeks), in the mean time I will try and get someone to check out the torque settings.

What do you mean by the end cap being held by 'seger ring'?

Also are you going to replace the seals or re use the originals? If you are replacing them I would love a set myself :P

imaS

Seger ring = lock ring.

I'll replace all seals or whole suspension cylinders. I'm buying them from main dealer if they are still available.

AlexN

Time for one of my infrequent updates!

I've spent the weekend working on the car again and managed to get quite a bit done.

Firstly the car is now on it's rotating stands and is currently upside down! How many people have seen a 405 on it's roof!?!

2601360555_7baeee1a51_b.jpg

2601375179_b0ae90c189_b.jpg

2601366073_e499a43ff1_b.jpg

Secondly I manages to seam weld the front subframe so this, and the rear frame and brace can finally be powder coated then I can reassemble the rear suspension.

2602160558_03ded43cb7_b.jpg

Before I can weld the chassis I've got to finish removing the seam sealer on all the seams, and the underseal which is going to be laborious! Then finally I can get the shell ready for the cage.

gingerscotsman

This would certainly make work on the bottom of the car much much easier.

Fancy doing mine next...

:)

AlexN

LOL, it should make my life a lot easier!

They are quite easy to make if you can weld (I couldn't before I started making this!) and the 405 shell has perfect mounting points front and rear.

I might well sell the stands once I am done as I hopefully (re: as long as I don't crash it!) I won't have to go through all this work again!

AlexN

Here are some pictures of the last rear diff mount machined and pressed in. Once I get the rear subframe back from the powder coaters I can start to rebuild the rear suspension.

2616109488_8f2cdeb686_b.jpg

2615306827_bb63bb4ce1_b.jpg

I've also bought a pair of 406 brembo calipers which need a bit of restoration work, but got them dirt cheap so very happy!

I'll post some pics of them over the weekend.

AlexN

Here are the pics of my new Brembo's! I can't believe how light the calipers are, they seem way lighter than the standard Mi16 ones, this should help shed a bit of weight (although I guess 305mm discs weight a fair bit!).

They came with pads that have a decent bit of life in and some used discs that I'll have to check to see if they are still in tolerance. Can anyone recommend discs and pads for track use?

The calipers were stripped by the guy I bought them off, I clean them up fully, replace the seals and re-paint them red. Should look pretty mint! I got the whole lot for £126 which I think is a total bargin!

All I need to do is get hold of some braided hoses and I'm sorted.

2620349265_59c42758bd_b.jpg

2621171220_71e0b4aff9_b.jpg

2621168506_93a514505c_b.jpg

cybernck

can you please optimise the image quality a bit as the filesizes are too big.

other than that, keep up the good work! :D

thanks.

gingerscotsman

I have those callipers on my 406 and they stop you VERY well.

Even better on the 405 I would imagine. Looking forward to seeing them on the car :)

danrogers

good luck on your project mate, looking very good so far, nice to see someone putting so much care and time into these amazing cars! if you are after some braided hoses drop me a pm cos' i can get goodridge hoses at trade prices usually

Edited by danrogers

felix2566

I love how this project is going, it will be such a nice car once it is finished. Nice to see a 4bi being kep on the road rather than getting broken because something small is wrong with it!

calvinhorse

any updates? :)

AlexN

Firstly I must apologise for being so slack, I haven't been online at all for the last month or so and therefore haven't managed to honour the agreements made with various people on here regarding spares parts (you should all have PM's) and the Mi16x4 workshop manual. Well I am back now and the workshop manual can be downloaded from the following links (in two parts):

Mi16x4 Workshop Manual Part 1

Mi16x4 Workshop Manual Part 2

Both files have been zipped up using 7zip, if you haven't heard of it it is the best file compression software out there and it is free (open source). You can download it from here 7-zip. It will also deal with .zip or .rar files etc so very useful!

Secondly I have neglected to update this thread regarding the car build!

I have finally managed to purchase all the seals required to rebuild the rear suspension (a work in progress) and hopefully (finger crossed) managed to find a company willing to make some heavily uprated front wishbone bushes. Then I need to buy front shocks (found an interesting thread on the 306gti6 forum regarding AST suspension for that car - I assume it will fit the 405?), and top mounts then I can get the car back on it's wheels!

Once this is achieved I am in the process of arranging quotes for a full weld in roll cage, then the complete rebuild can start. I've also purchase a full five piece lexan window kit which should shed a whole load of extra weight.

I am also in contact with a guy in France regarding upgrading the transfer box and will be purchasing a complete new center diff and new pinions for the front diff. I just hope the gearbox holds up!

I think this is enough for now, I'll try and post some pics of the rear suspension rebuild when I get a chance.

Jer309GTi

Nice, looking forward to some pics :) I'd better update my project thread soon, haven't done it for ages lol

AlexN

I made a bit of mistake regarding part 2 of the workshop manual. The link should be as follows: Part 2

KRISKARRERA

Don't suppose you could re-upload part 1 too please?

AlexN
Don't suppose you could re-upload part 1 too please?

The link in my original post still works for part 1 (at least it does for me!). If you are still having problems I'll re post the link.

AlexN

A few little items to update this thread with.

Firstly I have started to refurbish the rear beam and diff. I have completely stripped it and had the beam powder coated black. I think it looks pretty smart! Through a combination of Peugeot, Citroen and various online oil seal dealers I have managed to collect together most of the parts I need. Now all I need is space in my garage (my housemate has commandeered it for the last few months fixing his wretched BMW M-Coupe). I have rebuilt the hydraulic fluid chamber with new filters etc, and started to refurbish all the pipework and the cylinders themselves but it is slow going.

3803792170_4221869327.jpg

3803792858_d0f0166b18.jpg

3802977347_134edb27c1.jpg

3802978675_20eba524d0.jpg

Luckily I won't need the suspension rebuilt until I have finished prepping the shell for the roll cage, and this has been even slower progress!! I have now, finally, managed to mostly repair the rotten sill, and patched up and couple of other little bits of rust here and there. Not the neatest welding in the world but it'll do the job. I have started to anti-rust treat and primer the worst affected areas. I've got a little bit of work to do on the inside of the car then it is pretty much done. I have been in contact with Colin Satchel (I think he is more well known on the 205 forums) about a roll cage, he seemed interested to do the work and also make me some rose-jointed tubular front wishbones! Hopefully within a months time the car will be back on it's wheels and ready to be caged!

3803793706_28cdc5c09d.jpg

3803794300_43339089a0.jpg

I also got a nice big parcel in the post recently containing my five piece lexan window kit with front window sliders! :D

3802981343_e1067d34da.jpg

3802980787_b2c9f31dd6.jpg

calvinhorse

this is an excellent project!

MORE MORE MORE!!!!!! :lol::lol:

swordfish210

Nice project there, i'm looking forward to seeing it finished. Colin Satchell does some quality work, i have a few of his parts on my car:

Engine mount:

DSC00161.jpg

Alternator Pulleys:

DSC00257.jpg

and most notibly the rollcage:

DSC00468.jpg

DSC00469.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Firstly I have started to refurbish the rear beam and diff. I have completely stripped it and had the beam powder coated black. I think it looks pretty smart! Through a combination of Peugeot, Citroen and various online oil seal dealers I have managed to collect together most of the parts I need. Now all I need is space in my garage (my housemate has commandeered it for the last few months fixing his wretched BMW M-Coupe). I have rebuilt the hydraulic fluid chamber with new filters etc, and started to refurbish all the pipework and the cylinders themselves but it is slow going.

Ah, you could not possibly try to explain how to get the rear dampers/cylinders out of the subframe?

I have a slight problem getting them out :lol: on my T16 as I'll get the subframe to the sandblaster too :)

AlexN

Ah, you could not possibly try to explain how to get the rear dampers/cylinders out of the subframe?

I have a slight problem getting them out :lol: on my T16 as I'll get the subframe to the sandblaster too :)

Did you download the workshop manual? If so it shows that you need a special tool to remove the end lock nut.

This post Suspension cylinder shows the stripped down cylinder. The lock nut is actually the entire end assembly containing the damper valve etc. There is quite a lot of detail in the workshop manual.

Basically unless you have the SST it is a total b*stard to remove. I broke an adjustable wrench trying to get it off! That was when I went to my local Peugeot dealer and luckily (because I know a few people in there, including the head mechanic), they gave me the SST and the service manual!!! They said they were most unlikely to need them again so I was free to have them, sweet! It's basically a big flat spanner that fits the nut. Not sure what to suggest really, If you lived locally I would gladly lend it to you, but I would be loathed to post it (especially abroad) in case it gets lost, then I'd be really screwed.