• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
B1ack_Mi16

Changing Driveshaft Intermediate Bearing?

B1ack_Mi16

I recently started to go through the driveshafts of my 1991 205 GTi which I'm restoring in slow motion.

The intermediate bearing was totally shot and I have bought a new bearing for it. However it does not look straight forward to change it.

There is a metal bush that probably is used to slide/press the bearing in place, and this one is also nice to hammer on when trying to remove the driveshaft when servicing the car.

My question is if I'm better off chopping the bush and bearing races to get the press-fit released, or if there is some specific method to get it of without damaging the bush which I would prefer to re-use.

I just tried hammering it with a medium size sledgehammer and a chisel, but it really didn't seem to bodge.

Help apreciated :)

welshpug

every haynes workshop manual for a peugeot covers it :)

heat should get the steel bush off :)

Edited by welshpug

B1ack_Mi16

Ok, just tried with heat-gun and that wouldn't get it to move at all.

Is acetylene necessary? :)

welshpug

yup, REAL heat :lol:

petert

Make a support to go under the bearing and press it off. Warming up the bush with oxy at the same time helps.

Edited by petert

B1ack_Mi16

Part of the problem is that the bearing is perished, so only inner race is left of it. I'll try some more today :)

petert

That's good. You need to support under the inner race anyway.

pug_ham

Cold chisel & split the inner race.

g

B1ack_Mi16

Ok, now I've actually managed to remove it without destroying anything (well, the bush was kinda deformed before I started though).

Made a puller system and got it off.

th_IMAG0110.jpg

th_IMAG0111.jpg

However the 6mm steel plate was just bending and couldn't make the bush shift, so I had to reinforce it before it worked out :)

The bearing race didn't sit hard at all compared to the bush.

th_IMAG0112.jpg

• Like 1

welshpug

thats exactly what the haynes shows :)

the bearing is a standard industry type, abouy a tenner ( or £30 or so from a dealer)

you use a tube to drift the new ones on, the bush is available as a spare part

dobboy

I've noticed a screeching coming from my car when on full lock and under heavy load, and i think it's only when i'm turning right.

When i did my conversion i had problems getting the rear engine mount off and had to chap the intermediate bearing quite a bit, and i tried to be as careful as i could with the CV joint.

From what i've read, others have had screeching (rather than knocking), when this bearing needs replaced.

The part B1ack_Mi16 links to above has a rubber seal.

I was thinking of ordering this one http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p6858/SKF+60062Z+Metal+Shielded+Deep+Groove+Ball+Bearing+30x55x13mm/product_info.html

Does that look a bit more fit for purpose?

S@m

Sure its not the tyre rubbing the end of the gearbox on full lock? I'm not sure that the bearing would be effected by steering angle, when i've seen these fail they just cause a vibration, usually under throttle - was quite severe on my diesel.

dobboy

Sam, no, there's no vibration at all. I'll have a look to see if there is any rubbing marks but i never noticed it last time my wheels were off. I'm almost certain it's that bearing.

Am i right in saying the CV joint would crunch/clunk if it was damaged?

You can hear it on this vid about 2mins 50sec (underneath the tyres screeching)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o38_mCilts

I would say it comes from middle to OS of the car.

Edited by dobboy

dobboy

Can any of you watch the video and tell me if you think it's the intermediate bearing? The sound doesn't just arise of full lock, but it does only occur when the car is heavy/fast cornering to the right.

You can hear it on this vid about 2mins 50sec (underneath the tyres screeching)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o38_mCilts

(And no, I'm still waiting on McLaren phoning to contract me for next year.)

S@m

Sounds like the noise my mates old sorrento used to make when turning right hard.........was play in the fan motor causing it to catch the housing - a few of my 205's have done it to varying degrees aswell but it was particularly alarming in that sorrento.

I know it sounds ridiculous and i don't want to insult you by suggesting it but it is difficult to properly hear anything well on youtube, worth a check perhaps.

Edited by S@m

dobboy

Thanks sam, i might try get a better video if the weather is ok tomorrow. Its definately something to do with the driveshaft worse case its the OS CV.

Thanks anyway for having a listen.

welshpug

sounds like the tyre rubbing the arch.

dobboy

WP, i checked and have no rubbing marks anywhere, i'm almost certain it's something bearing/driveshaft/possibly diff related.

Also, at that particular corner on the vid, i'm nowhere near full lock. It's was worse at a tight right hand hair pin where it is near full lock, so i changed my line a bit.

It's seems to occur when all the weight is on the LHS, when the car is under a bit of strain.

Do you think i can rule out a bad CV joint from what you've heard?

Sign in to follow this