• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wallby

Ma Gearbox Rebuild

Wallby

I am looking to re-build my 106 rallye ma gearbox this winter and trying to put together a shopping list of what bits I'll need.

The gearbox currently crunches into 1st and 2nd so sorting this is the main point of the re-build.

I have done a bit of searching but can't work out if I will need just new synchro rings or a new synchro hub also. Will it be a case of waiting until I open it up and look at the condition of it?

There is a set of synchro rings on ebay for £55 which is pretty good but the synchro hub from peugeot is £160. I think there is also the option of getting a low mileage ma box just for the synchro hub. Bearing kit will also be another £100.

Any advice before I start ordering bits?

jaak

I'm kind of in same situation. I have a ’90 205 Look with TU1 engine and MA5 gearbox. Everything suggests that the gearbox has been pretty badly abused by the previous owner: 1, 2 and especially reverse engage with force, 2 also with moderate clunk, 2 and 4 disengage on bumpy road or when engine breaking). To do a proper refurb, only new synchros and rings would cost more than 500 euros. At the same time there are several rear ended low mileage 206’s and other TU-MA cars in nearby scrapyards.

What I have learned so far from this forum and parts catalogues (please correct if anything is wrong here):
1. newer MA gearboc can be used but something has to be done to the driveshaft seals as this part is a little different;
2. 306 MA gearboxes have different gear linkage and cannot be used;
3. synchros, gears and other internal parts of older 205 MA gearbox and newer gearboxes have different codes.
Based on above, I have following questions:
1. Does the modification to the driveshaft seals affect reliability of the gearbox (i.e. the seals have to be changed more often)?
2. Can the newer internals be used in the older gearbox casing (i.e. can I use my current gearbox casing and install internals from the newer scrapyard gearbox)?
And added bonus question: if replacing the entire gearbox, could I replace the current older TU1 with a newer TU3 without additional hassle (i.e. is it just a drop in or will there be wiring issues etc).
Please excuse me if some of the questions may seem idiotic as I am quite green in this. A local garage would do the wrenching part but I have to do the research regarding what fits before buying the parts.