• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy_C

Polishing/waxing Guide

Andy_C

If the laquer's cracked then resparying is the only remedy I'm afraid mate. I thought it might be fixable before seeing an example in the metal and I really doubt anyone could do anything with it :)

smckeown

what would you recommend to apply after a fresh respray, i just want to protect it and make it shine

timmsy19

i would say some very fine polish and wax nothing to harsh till it gets a bit older. im no pro at paint but thats what i would imagine to be the way to go

Paintguy

Sean: I went on Andys recommendation, and used Poorboys EX-P sealant. I haven't polished it again since I first did it (september iirc), but it still comes up great with just a wash and leather off.

Andy_C
what would you recommend to apply after a fresh respray, i just want to protect it and make it shine

Always check with the painter first as to how long you should wait before putting anything on the paint (I'm sure Paintguy can confirm or deny that) as some say wait 30 days.

If you simply want protection then good old Autoglym Super Resin's hard to fault IMHO - but it does contain mild cleaners/abrasives so again check with painter. There's shedloads of other products as Paintguy says but on a white car Autogylm, or Meguiars NXT wax are hard to beat (all available from Halfords and the Meguiars can be had from Clean & Shiny with a 10% discount :) )

HTH - will she be at The South Meet BTW?

smckeown

just ordered a load of stuff, cheers for the guide

So can someone confirm why a normal polish is good at removing stratches when i'm normally using colour specific t-cut. just want to know why & how a non-colour specific polish will do the job

Paintguy

Most polishes have a slight cutting action, which actually removes fine scratches.

Most polishes also contain chalk, to help them dry. This can be left behind in scratches, making them appear white and stand out more. All these colour polishes etc just use a coloured chalk which also stays behind in the scratches, thus making them less noticeable, rather than actually removing them.

To add to what Andy said above (I've only just noticed it) it's better to wait 30 days or so for the paint to fully cure, and all the solvents escape. I assumed this was for your track car, which was painted much more than 30 days ago, so I didn't add this caveat. :P

smckeown

ah thats what i was eventually coming round to thinking..so thanks

it's actually for my black CTR that i'm getting ready to sell :P

On the Clean and Shiny i've added this to my basket and just about to order...you guys think it wil ldo the trick ?

order.jpg

Not many products from the guide are on that site :D And i'm combining advice from the CTR owners club etc.

I'll use the wax from here on my white 205

Andy_C

That'll work fine mate ;)

C&S can get most of the gear mentioned in the guide - the site's being revamped shortly!

As regards normal polishes - what Paintguy said! Nowt "wrong" with colour keyed polishes - buying more bespoke/expensive stuff is a slippery slope - trust me!

smckeown

cheers.

i'm looking for a discount code the C&S site, thought i had one from the Civic Type R forum, but it's not working. I have emailed them to see what they say

Rom

This guide rocks !

Just wondering, after i polished then waxed. When do i next need to do stuff. I mean i wash it most w/e. Will i have to repolish/wax to get the shine ? Or will it still be there from last time ?

Andy_C

Depends on what wax you use matey. A synthetic wax/sealant will last for weeks and regular washing with a decent shampoo will keep it looking shiny. There's a few spray waxes available which enable you to wax the car in 10 minutes - not as long lasting as a synthetic but will keep the bling topped up.

smckeown

yeah i ordered the NTX texh wax to act as a wax and sealant. I got 10% from the C&S using a discount code they supplied. Got a PM this morning from the type-r forum with a guy who can offer 25% discount over £50 ordered...bugger!

Alastairh

On a slight different subject. What tyre dressing would suggest?

Rom

I just used a Turtle Wax paste stuff i had in the shed :) I was gonna use Auto Glym Extra Gloss but ran out of time

Andy_C
On a slight different subject. What tyre dressing would suggest?

No worries matey.

For cheap quick & easy Autosmart Tyre Dandy (although I may have a cheaper alternative soon :) )

For bling at a price Pinnacle Black Onyx gel (£15 off a bottle....)

Sean - if you need anything else from C&S let me know!

smckeown

thanks to this guide and some replies my CTR now looks amazing. I simply cannot believe the difference, its really astonishing.

Here's the evidence, warning 200k

thanks guys

Sean

Andy_C

Looks excellent mate - glad this guide was of use to you :D

BTW got your PM ref lebals - but the missus forgot the machine - will sort em next week.

pugboyracer

Some fantastic advice in this guide, really helpful stuff. I'm utterly rubbish at washing cars, so this is great. Just need a good day now to get stuck into the Pug and Beemer! :D

Henry Yorke

This might interest some of those who have found this post useful :(

Clicky

benson

Thanks for the guide, can't wait to get another car so I can clean it every week, really miss it :/ and will definitely use this.

gerlewislewis

whats the definitive stuff to be using on the black trim, as mine has faded slightly.

Great guide by the way. Ive been using paint renovator and Super Resin Polish today - good stuff.

Ger

GLPoomobile

I was impressed with Autoglym bumper snot. If you have Ph2 trim that is a little faded it really brings it back to black. If it's Ph 1.5 trim it just goes a darker shade of grey.

pete1986
Any of you that use it will know how it gets into any grained unpainted plastics & how hard it is to get off again . A good tip is to polish all the trim first using Autoglym Bumper Care & that stops the polish sticking to it . That tip came from the guy on the Autoglym trade stand at a car show

Aha!! I have always used them the other way around, I find that the AG bumper snot gets the super resin off but leaves marks on the paintwork. So it will wipe off the snotted trim with a cloth then? Also iv always thought that AG SuperResin was a polish, not a wax?? :)

So let me get this right, the ultimate process would be;

rinse

shampoo

rinse

dry

polish

glaze/cleaner

wax

sealant

Not that im gonna do the whole lot, the OCD car cleaning bug hasnt caught me plus im far too lazy, just so that i know for sure what to use after what. What about using detailing clay, where would that come in?

gerlewislewis

"What about using detailing clay, where would that come in? "

after using shampoo, to remove any tar and other crap. Id shampoo again at this point.

After using clay the car should feel like glass when you run your hand down it, rather than rough.