• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sam jfm

Ma Limited Slip Diff

sam jfm

where is the best place to buy one, and can you fit them yourself? if not what kind of place is going to be able to fit them and how much will they charge roughly?

Cheers sam

welshpug

With the MA its advisable to buy it and get the crown wheel at least fitted to it, if not the whole assembly fitted into the casing.

Would think Quaife direct would be one place to get them.

swordfish210

If you're going to fork out for an LSD then why not get a plate diff, Grippa and Tran-X do them. Miles fitted mine and rebuilt the box at the same time.

sam jfm

might be an option, the ATB is pretty much service free though... how much did he charge? could you pm me if you dont want the world and his wife to know?

swordfish210

As far as i know from Miles the plate diff is a bit like a clutch, replace when worn out. They also work a lot better than an ATB. The whole job lot cost me about £1100 but it needed a new syncro etc

sam jfm
As far as i know from Miles the plate diff is a bit like a clutch, replace when worn out. They also work a lot better than an ATB. The whole job lot cost me about £1100 but it needed a new syncro etc

Thats way out of the range im prepared to pay! what was it just for the diff?

swordfish210

Nah, diff was about £600 but it's a false economy because by the time you've paid for the diff, the crownwheel to be fitted/machined then rebuilt the box it soon adds up. You'll have the same problem with the ATB but is you fork out the extra £100 for a plate diff you'll have a much better diff and a better handling car

sam jfm

what is the machine wok that needs doing? because i have just stripped an ma box and i recon i could build it back up!

welshpug

how long did it take you? ;)

and have you replaced any clips bearings or synchros?

sam jfm

about 30 mins to strip it down learning along the way! well from what i can tell everything bar 5th comes out it a big cluster, so i should only need to replace one cerclip that i bent and the rest should just go back!! i have left everything together, i was just trying to get to the diff really

Rob Thomson

I had a Gripper LSD in my old 106 Rallye. It was a rally car so was driven hard(ish) but the diff was a nightmare; it would lose its effectiveness after three or four 40 mile tarmac rallies which would mean a rebuild and another few hundred quid taken from the 'fun budget'.

The Gripper comes with its own CWP, which has its pros and cons. On the plus side it means that the crownwheel is actually held on with bolts rather than Peugeot's OE interference fit arrangement (which usually results in the crownwheel coming out the side of the gearbox three hundred yards into a stage), but the pinion was made by morons and would only last ~2,000 miles between swaps.

The handling was comedy in that you had power oversteer in a FWD car, but it was also completely unpredictable and would occasionally understeer like a bastard and also occasionally snap sideways when you least expect it. That could be because I am a sh*t driver, but I like to blame the diff!

I'd never fit one to a road car. They definitely make the car a lot faster, but the maintenance requirements are an absolute nightmare.

Tom Fenton

I've a Tran-x plate diff in my road 205, its a great bit of kit, and I wouldn't be without it, especially with 205 lbft of torque.

My shared 205 Mi16 trackday car has a Quaife ATB in it. When we first fitted it about 4 years ago we thought it was great. Now I am used to the plate diff in the turbo, the ATB pisses me off big time as it is still possible to spin a wheel out of a bend, with only 145 lbft, whereas the plate diff with 205 lbft certainly will not do this!

sam jfm

this is for a 1360 rally car with 130bhp max! i ashumed the quaife would be upto the job really, its going to be a tarmac spec car so even less chance of wheel spin! i want something that is low maintainance, i dont want to be taking the box to bits every 5 mins to replace plates or adjust it??

swordfish210
whereas the plate diff with 205 lbft certainly will not do this!

I shouldnt have a problem with the single lb/ft of torque that i'm expecting from my engine then ;)

Tom Fenton

If it is truly a proper competition car then its a plate diff you want and nothing else. If its a road/track special then a Quaife will do the job.

Tom Fenton
I shouldnt have a problem with the single lb/ft of torque that i'm expecting from my engine then ;)

I'm sure you will be OK!

sam jfm

right plate diff it is! miles will do one for £600? is that including vat? like i say i just cant afford over a grand on the gearbox!

EdCherry

Bet you could afford over a grand on a engine though...

Gearbox's are so key to how your car works I dont see why people skimp on them its like buying a super duper F1 car and then welding steel wheels to it cause you havn't got the budget for centre locks.

swordfish210
right plate diff it is! miles will do one for £600? is that including vat? like i say i just cant afford over a grand on the gearbox!

Best to PM him, i'm not his accountant :angry::lol:

sam jfm
Bet you could afford over a grand on a engine though...

Gearbox's are so key to how your car works I dont see why people skimp on them its like buying a super duper F1 car and then welding steel wheels to it cause you havn't got the budget for centre locks.

Nope my engine was about half that, if i could buy second hand then i would but they are not out there to buy! i am well aware of what will make a car quick thats why im looking into diffs, but i would find it very hard to justify £1100 on a gearbox that i may smash to bits in two rallys time.

welshpug

if youre worried about breaking an MA box go for a BE4 conversion, somewhat stronger and more reliable than an MA box especially for tarmac rallying.

less labour to fit a diff into them too as the diff has its separate casing.

sam jfm
if youre worried about breaking an MA box go for a BE4 conversion, somewhat stronger and more reliable than an MA box especially for tarmac rallying.

less labour to fit a diff into them too as the diff has its separate casing.

how much work is it to get one to fit? i cant find a definite kit list

welshpug

in a 205, you need a partner/berlingo or picasso gearbox and driveshaft bearing carrier from the 1.6 engines, both parts need to be from the same vehicle as there are a few variations in part numbers and nobody has as yet worked out the difference.

driveshafts I think you may be able to use 1.6 gti items depending on the position of the engine in the bay, then some BE type gear rods/selectors, a modified clutch cable to suit, mounting wise I think you may be lucky and it drops straight in.

check with Sandy on the finer details though, he has fitted a BE4 box to one of his customers 1400 16v TU hillclimb 205's.