• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tomcolinjones

Vtr Block Xs Fast Head Dgas Carb? Possible?

tdr_1976

Hi mate,

I've just had a look at the pics you tried posting, it looks a nice fit.

You already have a photobucket account, so all you have to do is look for the picture you want to show on the forum, click to enlarge it and on the left of the picture look for the "Share this image" box, then simply point your mouse "I" over the IMG code and click on it, it will automatically save the text to memory and all you have to do then is Paste it in on your topic or reply.

Edited by tdr_1976

tomcolinjones
Hi mate,

I've just had a look at the pics you tried posting, it looks a nice fit.

You already have a photobucket account, so all you have to do is look for the picture you want to show on the forum, click to enlarge it and on the left of the picture look for the "Share this image" box, then simply point your mouse "I" over the IMG code and click on it, it will automatically save the text to memory and all you have to do then is Paste it in on your topic or reply.

cheers for that. you going to go frot his setup yourself then? what are you running?

Tandoh
Tandoh, I saw your Rallye parked at the Texaco garage heading out of Yeovil :)

Yea that would of been me as im always about in yeovil =]

What were you driving?

tomcolinjones

ive been trying to get the car to tick over correctly, but cant seem to get it right, any tips for setting up a dgv weber?

tomcolinjones

ive been trying to get the car to tick over correctly, but cant seem to get it right, any tips for setting up a dgv weber?

tdr_1976

http://www.justbrits.com/Articles/TuneWeber.html

There you go, I had a look and a good read last night, in preparation for the conversion :)

tomcolinjones
http://www.justbrits.com/Articles/TuneWeber.html

There you go, I had a look and a good read last night, in preparation for the conversion ;)

ive done that bit, thats about as much as i know, i.e wind the throttle till its just touches, then 1 + 1/2 turns out on mixture.

i do this and then turn the mixture until it revs the highest, then i turn the throttle back. but anything under 1400 rpm it just dies and stalls.

is it possible the 1.6 xflow jetting is too week for the xs? :)

tdr_1976

I wouldn't have thought the jetting would be to weak, but I could be wrong!

Have you serviced the carb? Or just put it straight on and played with ti? It might need a service!

tdr_1976

08042010367.jpg

You mentioned you were having problems with the throttle cables, I'd have thought that if you moved the carb a 180 degrees round, the throttle linkages would be in the same place as the Solex ones and the fuel inlet would be better placed too :)

tomcolinjones
08042010367.jpg

You mentioned you were having problems with the throttle cables, I'd have thought that if you moved the carb a 180 degrees round, the throttle linkages would be in the same place as the Solex ones and the fuel inlet would be better placed too :(

on close inspection of the solex, the smaller choke (the first one that opens) is to the rear of the car, so i thought it best to do the same with the weber. because of the shaping to the inside of the inlet manifold, i dont think t would have run correctly with the first opening choke to be in the wrog plac.

i have sorted the cables now. its quite a tidy job.

and the carb was running well on the capri, so i didnt bother servicing it. will try a new mixture screw tho, as someone told me the ends wear because they's pointy.???

GeorgeXS
ive done that bit, thats about as much as i know, i.e wind the throttle till its just touches, then 1 + 1/2 turns out on mixture.

i do this and then turn the mixture until it revs the highest, then i turn the throttle back. but anything under 1400 rpm it just dies and stalls.

is it possible the 1.6 xflow jetting is too week for the xs? :(

It may be your rev counter, mine seems to run about 400rpm too high, as such the idle says its at 1500, but in reality its nowhere near.

stu_woac

you will be poping and having white smoke out the carb if its to weak, have you checked the power of your spark your coil my have had it,, sounds weird but that can cause you that drop off after a certain rev range, I was going to answer abit more of this thread but most seems to be covered

Edited by stu_woac

tomcolinjones
you will be poping and having white smoke out the carb if its to weak, have you checked the power of your spark your coil my have had it,, sounds weird but that can cause you that drop off after a certain rev range, I was going to answer abit more of this thread but most seems to be covered

ive managed to sort it now. i went for a quick spin up the road ( more like a frustrated thrashing) and when i came back it sounded a lot 'sweeter' idling at about 2000 on the drive! but it was a consistant idle, not going from splutter to fast idle and back and forth. so i turned the idle screw out. and adjusted the fueling a bit, then the idle again. i have got it to idle nicely at just over 1000 on my clock. but it sounds ok. so all is good. seems that all was needed was a good bit of harsh use!

thanks for the replies.

rite. i want to go for the 1600 bottom end. will any black top do? and will my xs bell housing mate up to the block?

tomcolinjones
on close inspection of the solex, the smaller choke (the first one that opens) is to the rear of the car, so i thought it best to do the same with the weber. because of the shaping to the inside of the inlet manifold, i dont think t would have run correctly with the first opening choke to be in the wrog plac.

i have sorted the cables now. its quite a tidy job.

and the carb was running well on the capri, so i didnt bother servicing it. will try a new mixture screw tho, as someone told me the ends wear because they's pointy.???

the gas pipe is not a perminant fixture by the way! lol and i have now fitted the capri air filter box and have put a rocker breather on her.

stu_woac
rite. i want to go for the 1600 bottom end. will any black top do? and will my xs bell housing mate up to the block?

yes and no is the answer :o the bell housing wont mate up but can be made too I made a bracket up for mine and then drove 2000 miles to the nurburg ring and bk with no problem I now have a hybrid gearbox with the right bell housing

Edited by stu_woac

tomcolinjones
yes and no is the answer :lol: the bell housing wont mate up but can be made too I made a bracket up for mine and then drove 2000 miles to the nurburg ring and bk with no problem I now have a hybrid gearbox with the right bell housing

how is your box a hybrid? is it possible to run a be gearbox instead of the ma? is it possible to get streight cut gears and diffs for these?

stu_woac
is it possible to get streight cut gears and diffs for these?

yes but your talking a few grand

mine is running the xs gear set with the vtr selectors and bell housing and a quaff diff too best bit of money I spent was the diff

tomcolinjones
yes but your talking a few grand

mine is running the xs gear set with the vtr selectors and bell housing and a quaff diff too best bit of money I spent was the diff

whats so good about the vtr selectors? is it just that they are newer? is it possible to bump up the final drive? and how much was the diff if you dont mind me asking. do you struggle witht the stearing when booting it?

stu_woac

the new ma box selectors are like the be boxes where as the old ma has plastic caps on the selectors which is a weak point and makes the box sloopy diff cost £700 there abouts, on the road yes you get torque steer but doesnt help that my engine is set up more for torque due to hill climbing

tomcolinjones
the new ma box selectors are like the be boxes where as the old ma has plastic caps on the selectors which is a weak point and makes the box sloopy diff cost £700 there abouts, on the road yes you get torque steer but doesnt help that my engine is set up more for torque due to hill climbing

what do you think is the best option for me for road rallying? i think i could end upnakering the xs box, and replacements are like hens teeth.

does n e 1 know about gti subframe onto xs? is it only the ger linkage bit i have to weld on?

stu_woac

YES only the gear linkage needs moving, the old boxes arnt that well build

tomcolinjones

hello all. i am trying to get hold of a vts / 106 gti engine to go in the 205. ive decided that it would be worth it, although it does sit over the front wheels a little more than the xu engines.

what parts will i need of a vts / gti to make it work? obviously manifolds, ecu etc. but what else? should i use a vts gearbox? or use the xs one?

i will also be selling my xs engine with weber, after the conversion.

burr_2000

hey tom try the search, theres a lot of info to be found as a lot of members have done what your asking. also try/search the 106 rallye forum for similar info on these 16v engines B)