• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave_6785

Leak- Dont Know About Engines So No Clue....

dave_6785

I.m gunna sound really thick here, my car has developed a thick black oil leak (not major yet) and i've changed my engine oil 10 days ago so its not that, I've a feeling it's from the transmission after trying to make sense of my haynes lol. It's a 1.1xl 1990 decat, this is where i sound thick, the leak is coming from a steel disc/tunnel thats to the passenger side of the base of the engine and seems to be connected to the front axle. I'm just trying to work out what it is thats leaking? what the leak could be? and how serious it could be??? any help..........

richsmells

Got a photo? Even a rubbish phone image of the general area would suffice.

It could well be the gearbox/diff housing, but need some more information.

Edited by richsmells

dave_6785

How do i get pics on here? Its literally the first major thing in the engine bay thats connected to the axle from the front left wheel, steel casing that looks like its 2 halves bolted together, oil building up around the bottom, Now dripping quite regularly

Paul_13

Use photobucket or similar mate, then post the forum code for thumbnail pictures.

dave_6785

just putting them on now, leak seems to have stopped now the cars not running

badj

looks a bit like the o/s input shaft seal. Not uncommon on peugeots, had them go before.

If it is, the part itself is about a quid from peugeot. Would involve draining the gearbox oil and taking the driveshaft out.

dave_6785

the part seems cheap enough but what about the labour costs?? lol. How immediate a problem is it to fix??

Paul_13

Wouldn't take it to a garage mate, unless your really friendly with them.

Why not give it a bash yourself?

People will help you on here.

dave_6785

because fitting a pipercross induction kit was a challenge and i was impressed i completed it.......... adjusting the fan belt was a challenge and i was impressed i stopped the squeel............ i own one spanner.............. a haynes manual confuses the hell out of me............... Its my everyday car and i have 1 hour after work before sunset........... Things i put right never seem to be put back right........... 'Driveshaft out'????? Take ya pick of a reason lol. I'd love the challenge but i wouldnt love the bus to work till a garage put it right lol

Paul_13
because fitting a pipercross induction kit was a challenge and i was impressed i completed it.......... adjusting the fan belt was a challenge and i was impressed i stopped the squeel............ i own one spanner.............. a haynes manual confuses the hell out of me............... Its my everyday car and i have 1 hour after work before sunset........... Things i put right never seem to be put back right........... 'Driveshaft out'????? Take ya pick of a reason lol. I'd love the challenge but i wouldnt love the bus to work till a garage put it right lol

Fair enough, nuf said B)

dave_6785

I take it the fact that a garage seemed like a bad idea means it's gunna be a stupidly expensive price to fit a very inexpensive part in a very awquard position?? Any guestimations on cost? How immediate is the problem to solve???

Alfie

B) You've already made the first steps, I believe Dave. You know you have a problem, you belong to one of the best forums I've ever come across and please don't feel thick for asking how to go about fixing it. First off, I'd say check all your oil levels, and until it is fixed, keep checking them say once a week. this way, you soon see how serious a problem you have and then approximate how long you have to fix it. Remember a little oil goes along way. what may appear serious, likely isn't. Then, if you really don't want to tackle it yourself, maybe you've a good mate that will help you?. If you go the garage way, find a little garage round your way, seek 'em out, you'd be surprised how many there are! ask for some free advice, show some interest, visit over a couple of weeks, raise a bit of cash, even ask if you could stick around when its being done. you will learn something. Get this problem out the way and start looking around autojumbles, buy some tools, nothing special, ordinary metric spanners, socket set, screw drivers etc. build up bit by bit. Who knows, you could then be helping others. Sorry, gone on a bit, but I've just gone thru' all this with my 20 yr old son who is the same as yourself. B)

dave_6785

I take it the fact that a garage seemed like a bad idea means it's gunna be a stupidly expensive price to fit a very inexpensive part in a very awquard position?? Any guestimations on cost? How immediate is the problem to solve???

..........I only ask about how immediate the problem is to solve cuz i'm looking at sourcing a 1.4 engine and getting that dropped straight in to the engine bay, would it be easier to change the seal whilst gettin that done...........

badj

It would be easier to do it that way yes.

Don't worry about the 'checking' of the oil levels, as unless you're a little more savvy with a socket set it would be too awkward. The gearbox doesnt have a dipstick as such - and even that gets by most non-mechanically minded folk unfortunately..

stuart1298

i bought 2 seals fromwhere i work today, retail works out about 5 quid, not a major job to fix, but a garage may take the piss, they usually do, jus ring a round a few garages, i work at euro car parts, so give them a call, they can probably put u in touch with a garage that wont rip u off,

dave_6785

If i bought a 1.4spi engine, say from an xr, would the price at a garage for fitting this and changing the seal at the same time be much different than for just fitting the seal?? I'd think there would be but someone on here will know more than me :)

GeorgeXS
If i bought a 1.4spi engine, say from an xr, would the price at a garage for fitting this and changing the seal at the same time be much different than for just fitting the seal?? I'd think there would be but someone on here will know more than me :)

Oh god yes!! fitting an engine, especially one with injection would take a lot of work as there would be a lot of wiring to sort out.

Fitting the seal shouldnt be that hard, and if it is, i'm 10 minutes away and could help if you needed it.

And there is a 1.4 XS engine sitting spare in my shed.....

dave_6785
Oh god yes!! fitting an engine, especially one with injection would take a lot of work as there would be a lot of wiring to sort out.

Fitting the seal shouldnt be that hard, and if it is, i'm 10 minutes away and could help if you needed it.

And there is a 1.4 XS engine sitting spare in my shed.....

I'm basically on a 1990 with a 1.1 xl and wanna upgrade to a direct replacement, i'm asumming thats what the leak is as thats what i was told on here last night. I dont suppose you've got a full rear brake set up as well? lol. Took my car to kwikfit for a break test, need every single thing you can think of for the back and disks and pads for the front which i'm sortin (mintex). How much you after for the engine?

GeorgeXS
I'm basically on a 1990 with a 1.1 xl and wanna upgrade to a direct replacement, i'm asumming thats what the leak is as thats what i was told on here last night. I dont suppose you've got a full rear brake set up as well? lol. Took my car to kwikfit for a break test, need every single thing you can think of for the back and disks and pads for the front which i'm sortin (mintex). How much you after for the engine?

Got nothing for the brakes, tbh shoes and cylinders are dirt cheap, probs cost you £30-35 for parts.

Not sure for the engine, i have no manifolds for it, and it has been stored before i bought it for a year or so so dont know its condition, also has a bent exhaust manifold stud. make me an offer!

dave_6785

''''i have no manifolds for it, and it has been stored before i bought it for a year or so so dont know its condition, also has a bent exhaust manifold stud. make me an offer!''''

its everything else as well for the rear, it needs new drums, pipes, spacers, bolts and something that added £170 to the price kwik fit quoted me and i cant remember what it is lol. knackered bearings maybe????. To be honest i've been offered a 1.4gr engine with gearbox and anillaries for £100 which would be a upgrade. And i have no clue whether a 1.1 manifold would fit it or not or what a engine should look like, to buy your engine would be a toy for me to strip down and try and put back together (remembering the lack of mechanical knowledge i have) and probably never knowing if it'll run until i try fitting it in the future. Whats the weight of the engine roughly?

zebedy101

I would possibly take what Kwik fit said lightly and get someone else to have a look at the brakes, kwik fit will jump at the chance of up sale. My girlfriends mum took her car there for mot they failed it on front shocks leaking exesively and 2 tyres needing replacing, neither of which it needed I had a look at it nothing wrong with the shocks and the tyres were fine a little old but perfectly legal. In the end they paid the money for the mot back to her and apologised....

jimistdt

It might be worth sending a PM to Dodsworth gti, he had a few bits knocking about, not sure exactly what though. Are you based on the camp? Might be worth having a chat with some of the REME lads, my dad was always helping out on mates cars when he had leave. :D

dave_6785

@zebedy, I looked at the brakes when they were stripped and the car on the ramp, they are well and truly goosed, what they said was right on the back at least, stuff missing, most things knackered, cylinder leaking, There recommendation was not to drive the car at all! get it towed and dont drive it till its fixed whether they do the work or not, i know about kwikfits reputation for cost but the things they said was wrong are from what i saw.

@jimistdt, Most the REME lads i know in camp are about to deploy, theres 2 in ma block but their constantly busy. seriously looking at buying a 1.1 MOT'd & Tax'd and changing the brakes on to mine (as a temporary measure) then stick my car in for MOT and if mine fails the MOT on something there may be chance to strip the one ive bought for parts for it, then sell the other one as scrap, cost effective but risky.....

GeorgeXS
It might be worth sending a PM to Dodsworth gti, he had a few bits knocking about, not sure exactly what though. Are you based on the camp? Might be worth having a chat with some of the REME lads, my dad was always helping out on mates cars when he had leave. :D

what kind of stuff does dodsworth have kicking about like?? any TU bits?