• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Will Eastman

White Smoke Coming Out Of Engine

Will Eastman

I duno if its doing the white smoke out of the breather anymore, its the bluey (oil smelling) smoke out of the exhaust. How much power would i be getting out of an early blacktop engine? Although i know its not adviserble would i be able to get away with not telling the insurance company?

thanks

allye

1.6 8v VTR Black top engine is 100hp I IIRC

Will you be able to get away with it?! Theres no real answer to that. As for physical differences its injection not carb so is police were hot on there old cars they would realise, also unless the loom is converted to a very good standard it will prob be obvious from that as well.

Lan

early vtr's had 90hp, laters had 100hp

Will Eastman

So there isnt much point putting in an early one over my xs engine. I think if i did put an engine in it would be a 16v as i cant see an 8v being worth it for the small power gain. Car is going into the garage today/tomorrow for an mot and once over so will know more about what im going to do once thats done.

trogboy

White smoke from the breathers is pretty normal - you always get a little blowby into the crank case and exhaust gases contain a lot of water vapour. If you do a lot of short journeys and the engine doesn't get properly warmed up enough to evaporate it out it'll build up.

When are you getting the blue smoke from the exhaust? At idle? On overrun? all the time!? Sounds like a silly question but it may help diagnose your problem. If at idle or on over run I'd be inclined towards the stem seals. If all the time then I might be more inclined to say rings.

Also you could consider getting leak down test done - google it. If the rings area really bad you should be seeing excessive leakage from one or more cylinders which would be audible at the crank case breather. It's not fool proof but may give you more confidence that you actually have a problem in the first instance.