• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Steve.C

106 Gearbox Query

Steve.C

SWMBO a 106 gti for the track, after me driving it on track today it is in need a gearbox, ad before you ask I have not broken it :P the gearing on the standard box is useless for the track, ideally I would swap it for a 1.3 rallye or 1.4 (1360cc) xsi gearbox but alas finding either is needle in haystack time or a deep pocket, would I be right in thinking the 1.4 (1360cc) Saxo sx/vsx/west coast/exclusive gearbox would be a straight swap?

I looked on Parkers at Saxo 1.4's and all are 75bhp but the models listed above have a quicker 0-60 time so picked these out.

Steve.C

Already seen that, doesn't answer my question though as to the gearbox actually fitting directly on to the gti engine, although a bit more research informs me an AX GT 1,4 box should fit!

Edited by Steve.C

burr_2000

all TU boxes should fit mate, with the AX GT being same as xs with a good ratio box.

Edited by burr_2000

Guest dean-191

I'm pretty sure the gt 'box, unless it's a very late one maybe, will bolt to the gti engine ok but won't clear the 1600 flywheel. Your best bet if you're on a budget would be the 1100 sax/106/205spi box as they're very available and share the same 4.3 diff as the xsi.

Edited by dean-191

burr_2000
I'm pretty sure the gt 'box, unless it's a very late one maybe, will bolt to the gti engine ok but won't clear the 1600 flywheel. Your best bet if you're on a budget would be the 1100 sax/106/205spi box as they're very available and share the same 4.3 diff as the xsi.

the 1600 use 200mm flywheel, GT and all boxes you mentioned use 180mm but its no big deal :)

Guest dean-191

I'm pretty sure the big bellhousing is down to model year rather than engine size, my big bellhousing 'box came from a liitle 1100 205spi on a 92/J. Apparently the later boxes have slightly beefier internals too, but that's just what I've heard.

welshpug

this thread on the 106 rallye register tells you what ratios you'll find;

http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/sh...ead.php?t=23534

also worth bearing in mind that only boxes from the sport and most later larger engines have the larger stronger diff, quite important for a 16v 106, though if used mainly on track and you stay away from the kerbs they'll probably last reasonably well, they die pretty quickly in rallying.

the Saxo sx/vsx/west coast/exclusive wont be sport ratio's as far as I know, certainly the 106 quicksilver isn't particularly useful and that shares the same engine as the models mentioned.

burr_2000
I'm pretty sure the big bellhousing is down to model year rather than engine size, my big bellhousing 'box came from a liitle 1100 205spi on a 92/J.

never heard that before but could of been changed by previous owner.

i run my pug 205 on a 106 rallye box but had to sit nearside driveshaft seal 3mm proud because like welsh pug saying some have thicker diff pin but nothing you should worry about. your GTI will match pretty much any TU box.

Steve.C

Thanks for all your replies, unless I can find a 1.4 xsi box it looks like the AX GT box is my best bet.

welshpug

AX GT seems to be the same as S2 rallye, 1.6 XSi, 4.06 f/d, sport ratio's I think, if it is then it's not really a massive difference at all.

I wouldn't fit one as an upgrade over the gti box unless there was something wrong with it and I couldn't get hold of a 4.29 or 4.54 f/d unit.

Steve.C
AX GT seems to be the same as S2 rallye, 1.6 XSi, 4.06 f/d, sport ratio's I think, if it is then it's not really a massive difference at all.

I wouldn't fit one as an upgrade over the gti box unless there was something wrong with it and I couldn't get hold of a 4.29 or 4.54 f/d unit.

Will keep my eyes open for an xsi g/box I think, failing that someone has mentioned taking the internals from a Rover 620Ti g/box and using them in the MA casing which also gives you the added bonus of the LSD from the Rover!

burr_2000
Will keep my eyes open for an xsi g/box I think, failing that someone has mentioned taking the internals from a Rover 620Ti g/box and using them in the MA casing which also gives you the added bonus of the LSD from the Rover!

keeps us posted if ya decide to try the rover internals, i have heard of it but nobody has documented it and sounds a really good modification :)

Steve.C
keeps us posted if ya decide to try the rover internals, i have heard of it but nobody has documented it and sounds a really good modification :)

Will do, just waiting on the chap to get back to me with the information.

welshpug

wasn't Mankee you asked was it? he might know though.

did a little digging on the 106 RR and found a little, though not a great deal of specific info;

http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/sh...highlight=rover

http://www.rovertech.net/forum/viewtopic.p...43&p=921457

nothing 100% conclusive on there I'm afraid!

Steve.C
wasn't Mankee you asked was it? he might know though.

did a little digging on the 106 RR and found a little, though not a great deal of specific info;

http://www.rovertech.net/forum/viewtopic.p...43&p=921457

nothing 100% conclusive on there I'm afraid!

Have no idea, I posted on PistonHeads and one of the guys on there replied.

swordfish210

I have an AX GTI box in my 205...with a plate diff :)

Miles

The rover 8/620 box is more like a ML box, The Metro's and maybe some 200's share the same box to a degree, Oddly the rover 620 version is much nicer to work on

RossD

You'll need a box from an injection engined car (after 1992) if you are fitting it to a 106 - The carb boxes dont have the correct mounting for the crank sensor!

Steve.C

Have found an xsi box for £50 collection only, but the damn thing is located up in York which is a 500ish round trip from me.

custard-rallye

i fitted a ax gt box to my 205 or tried it wouldnt fit only 2 bolts would line up but that was a mk1 gt if there is any difference

custard-rallye

i fitted a ax gt box to my 205 or tried it wouldnt fit only 2 bolts would line up but that was a mk1 gt if there is any difference

Jackman

I think he was asking £150 for the 1.4 XSi box rebuilt 10,000 miles ago!