• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

3rd Engine For The Rallye, The Plan....

allye

Now I have had the Rallye back on the road for a year, the TU3m, 75 hp monster is not powerfulenough! Although is running sweet. My plan is to build a 1.6 TU engine out of a vtr on bike carbs with fast road cam, new valve springs, 4-2-1, and port polish head. I was thinking about a gti6 conversion but it is not in keeping with the rallyr idea!

What do you guys think? Think I will come across any big problems?

The plan is to completely strip the engine and rebuild it.

Ali

Lan

I think you need a lighter, better 1400 engine a 106 xsi or 106 1.3 rallye engine would be the best starting point

edit: and a gearbox with the non rubbish ratios

Edited by Lan

dcc

maybe even just cut out the hasstle and read jackmans build thread.

Lan
maybe even just cut out the hasstle and read jackmans build thread.

good point if you're going to have a iron block you may aswell go 16v

welshpug
good point if you're going to have a TU iron block you may aswell go XU

efa :)

allye

I have thought about the ph 1 106 Rallye engine and the xsi engine, vtr will give more power surely?

And yes get rid of the motorway cruiser gearbox I have at the min, 80mph - 3000rpm!

Lan

lol!

can't say I don't agree though

Lan

same power, just slightly less torque, the red end of the rev counter is what these cars are about though

edit: and of course they weigh less so its a no-brainer really

Edited by Lan

allye

So you guys would go for a smaller ali engine?

Also what bike carbs are the best to go for?

Lan
So you guys would go for a smaller ali engine?

Also what bike carbs are the best to go for?

the weber twin 40 type :)

they will save you a lot of hassle

allye
the weber twin 40 type :)

they will save you a lot of hassle

I thought webers were a night mare to set up? But sound awsome.

And the price.....!

Lan
I thought webers were a night mare to set up? But sound awsome.

And the price.....!

well obviously you need someone to set them up correctly as long as you have the correct jets they shouldn't have a problem, from what i've read of previous peoples experiences they're going to be infinitely easier to set up than bike carbs though

burr_2000

from experience if you are going down 40s route best to buy them off someone who has already set them up or its gonna cost a lot to buy the internals. i was over £100 :lol: but now on TBs and from the cost of buying 40s and manifold and setting them up i was almost there for a TB setup.

Bike carbs can still work just as well.

calvinhorse

1.6 xsi, colin satchell inlet manifold and weber 40s, csc exhaust, aftermarket ecu and a catcam lovely jubbly

burr_2000
1.6 xsi, colin satchell inlet manifold and weber 40s, csc exhaust, aftermarket ecu and a catcam lovely jubbly

why would he need a aftermarket ecu when hes got a dizzy? second hand CSC marmitte exhausts are like hens teeth and i still have quote from them for about £300

welshpug

so he can do away with the damned thing !

burr_2000
so he can do away with the damned thing !

lol then why go with carbs :D

Edited by burr_2000

apinski

webers sounds like crazy - if you can just do this! :lol:

gtmotorsport

I think you need to set yourself a bit of a budget and work with that or make you mind up what you are looking for.

I have an XS with a tu3s engine that has received some work previously (I don't know the full details). The head is a Mark Shilliber stage 1 spec (going on receipts), Kent PT03 cam and pulley, bottom end as I know standard and twin Dellorto 40 DRLA's. When I bought the car it ran very bad, but after several trips to Mark Shilliber and a change of chokes from 30's to 28's it isn't bad.

What I am trying to say is what was said to me, which is that carbs can work well with correct spec. from the outset. Trouble is it always becomes a balancing act with what jets, etc are available. Throttle bodies and management is the way forward if the budget allows, it gives the flexibility to dial out any fuel issues under nearly all conditions and get ignition timing right as well.

I would give your plans some serious thought as like already said it is just as costly to setup carbs well as it is to map a car, especially if you start having to change a vast number of internal parts.

allye
I think you need to set yourself a bit of a budget and work with that or make you mind up what you are looking for.

I have an XS with a tu3s engine that has received some work previously (I don't know the full details). The head is a Mark Shilliber stage 1 spec (going on receipts), Kent PT03 cam and pulley, bottom end as I know standard and twin Dellorto 40 DRLA's. When I bought the car it ran very bad, but after several trips to Mark Shilliber and a change of chokes from 30's to 28's it isn't bad.

What I am trying to say is what was said to me, which is that carbs can work well with correct spec. from the outset. Trouble is it always becomes a balancing act with what jets, etc are available. Throttle bodies and management is the way forward if the budget allows, it gives the flexibility to dial out any fuel issues under nearly all conditions and get ignition timing right as well.

I would give your plans some serious thought as like already said it is just as costly to setup carbs well as it is to map a car, especially if you start having to change a vast number of internal parts.

I have been offered some webers that are set up and off a 1.4 xsi for a very resonable price so may have to do that. Also reference the 4-2-1 can you not just but a 106 one a weld it!?

Out interest as it is why I want a new engine, how does yours go?!

Ali

calvinhorse

Burr2000- you wont get the full potential out of an engine with an xs dizzy bolted to it, management is brilliant and pretty affordable, megajolt is now £117..

Edit- i sold my csc manifold for 100 on this forum and one on ebay a few months back went for 170

Edited by calvinhorse

allye

I'v only been fiddling with cars for two years (I''m 19), enlighten me, I can run a xsi engine with twin webers with an ECU!?

Ali

gtmotorsport

My car runs very well for what it is, but I can tell you now it has cost a few quid to get it just running right. The car is getting better and having just put a 4-2-1 manifold on I am hoping for a bit nicer spread of power.

I will tell you now the car isn't my ideal, but it is always the money and regulation for sprinting that limit the possibilities. If I was to change class and go in the modified I would be looking to build an engine of similar spec to that Sandy has built in the 1400 16V project. Would be Sandy mapping it what ever happened.

If your really serious and want to talk over a few options Sandy Brown is first class with a lot of knowledge and experience from spending the time developing the TU and XU engines with well thought out ideas. You will end up with a powerfull driveable car in all environments which is what counts, especially if it is a daily driver. Trust me big bhp figures and peaky performance is great for 5 minutes and often something that is desired by some, but after driving friends cars (impreza's, cosworth, 2ltr Nova, etc) it is noticable that some have been horrible to drive part throttle/slow which isn't something they live with long.

calvinhorse

Yes ignition only to control the spark, or an ecu that does spark and fueling so you could upgrade to throttle bodies at a later date.

The dizzy on your standard engine can be used on most 8valve tu engines but the advance curve or 'map' will definatly be wrong, you can have them remapped but you'll never get it perfect. With management you can.

allye

Sounds good, may have go down that route. Is the 106 xsi 1.6 engine an aliminium block? One of those nicely set up with some webers would be lovely! Not seen many people go down that route.

Ali